1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Maybe it's got a lacquer finish to it?

2. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

I would suggest water brushing and a lot of elbow grease. It will remove a lot of gunk from the shells surface and allow its naked beautiful self shine.

3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Yeah, I think we can confirm that AE is now using a spray finish instead of hand polishing, as we've seen this issue pop up on shell and calf several times in the thread. I wonder if moisturizing would liquefy the dried flaking polish and even it out...

4. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I had a pair of AE loafers which also had that turned up toe...do you recall if they were made that way or turned that way after use..the pair I had was second hand.

5. thams

thams Senior member

The turned up toe is from use for sure - they looked "normal" when new. I'm not really a fan of how it looks, but it certainly doesn't detract from the shoe looking down at it.

6. tkebh979

tkebh979 Senior member

Shaker owners - does the boot run TTS? I'm eyeing a Brooks pair at the Bank but it's a half-size shy... but I feel like I'm swimming in my Dundees at my "size." TIA...[​IMG]

7. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

There is some room on the shaker - I actually take a width down...that being said BB uses poron insoles which will take some of the volume up..not sure if the regular offering does from AE.

8. ray1234

ray1234 Member

Interesting. They are "new" shoes, though I would say less than even seconds quality, so any finish would be a factory finish. I think I definitely erred in taking a brush to it before really moisturizing it a ton. I guess I will wait for until my saphir reno arrives and then really get to work moisturizing and brushing. While I'd love it if the finish evened out, it'd be great if I could simply ensure the problem does not spread.

9. nbj08

nbj08 Senior member

They're certainly not ruined.

It's the goal of some to completely remove any factory finish upon first receiving their shell shoes. Those individuals simply prefer their shell to look as it did when it left Horween.

Others can say for certain what they use to strip their shoes, but I would guess Saphir Reno'Mat.

10. tkebh979

tkebh979 Senior member

Thanks for the quick info - I'm not a huge fan of the poron (also have a Brooks Warwick) but prefer the aesthetics of the Brooks Shaker... something about the tartan.

Come to think... it was the aesthetics of the dark chili that drove the Brooks v Straight-AE Warwick decision, too...

Sounds like it's worth the potential restock fee to at least see.

11. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

sarcasm or pretentious

Hard to tell

12. ray1234

ray1234 Member

That's encouraging. Thank you.

13. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

I have used plain old Saphir Reno in the past (not Reno Mat) and it has worked wonders in getting off the gunk AE cakes on the shell. The mild cleaning ability of it seemed to be perfect combine with a lot of brushing. Though this was before they switched to what seems to be a spray acrylic so it maybe Reno Mat may be in order if it doesn't smooth out with Reno.

This was just the start of how much stuff the Reno was pulling off my Dundees when I got them.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. peppercorn78

If it makes you feel better, I'm super jealous of your navy cordovan shoes ;)

1 person likes this.
  15. nbj08

nbj08 Senior member

That's been my experience, as well.

Nick V. at B. Nelson suggested I try Reno'Mat instead of Renovateur to pull off a lot of that gunk. Mainly because Reno'Mat is less expensive ($14 vs. $25+).

1 person likes this.
  16. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Just think of the navy cordovan goodness you could be MTOing if you werent in time out from the SF trunk show :)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  17. peppercorn78

Curses!!!!

Maybe if I squint at my Carmina cognac PTBs hard enough they'll start to look blue.

18. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

Regarding Kenwood here is an old and new pair i have.

[​IMG]

19. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Sizing question: I wear 9D in the 5 last. Looking at a pair of Daltons or Long Branch boots which I'll wear with thicker wool socks. Should I size up to 9.5?

20. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

I'd get the rush streets first since they're discontinued. The Dundees will be around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.