Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scrolls

scrolls Senior member

Just got my Players today and am in love! Shoes are darker IRL, I think the color is Walnut?

[​IMG]

These are my first nice pair of shoes and I have zero clue how to take care of them. I browsed the shoe care thread but got lost as everyone has different methods, brand preferences, etc. Can anyone just give me a very simple rundown of what to do to make these last as long as possible? I'm definitely buying a shoe tree and shoe horn (yes I'm a complete noob, don't even own these), but am clueless on the polish, cleaner, etc. Is buying this shoe care kit from AE a decent way to get started or is this a ripoff/unnecessary? Although it looks like if I buy that kit I can't get the polish in the color that matches my shoes, I'm assuming I want the walnut colored polish? Sorry for the dumb questions [​IMG]

2. PK35216

PK35216 Senior member

Friends and Family sale at Brooks Brothers starts May 9! I am checking with my sales associate as to whether the 25% applies to the non-cordovan shoes, such as the AE crafted calfskin shoes. I think it will apply, but I will let everyone know.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  3. PK35216

PK35216 Senior member

They are virtually the same. The Brooks have some rubber on the outsoles and Poron insoles; but construction, lasts, and design otherwise are identical.
    There was a comment a while back that Brooks had not initially chosen to participate in the AE recrafting program. Not sure what the status is. Probably need to ask AE about that when you inquire about the shoes.[/quote]
    Just got word from the rep that BB versions are recraftable also.
    Order away! [​IMG][/QUOTE]

The website says that the "Fifth Avenue" and "Strand" models at $348.00 consist of French Calfskin. This makes me wonder whether another difference in the BB version is the use of AE's Independence Collection leather, which I believe is marketed as extremely supple calfskin. I just received Jeffersons in Dark Brown and Walnut and they are very soft and comfortable. I may check out the Walnut "Fifth Avenue" model at BB to compare the leather to my AE Burnished Brown Fifth Avenues.

Also, I don't think my previous post to this thread went through (not sure why), but I am selling my Burnished Brown "Williams" Independence Collection on ebay in 9D. They are in excellent condition and very reasonably priced in auction format. I won't post a link, since they are the only ones you'll find if you search Allen Edmonds Williams in 9 M/D.

4. PK35216

PK35216 Senior member

Ditto for me at 9D. The 2 and 8 hit my second smallest toe pretty bad.

However, I am a true size 9.5C and the 5 last fit me perfectly (9D usually fits pretty well). I was wondering whether a 9.5C in 2 last would fit, but many of the models I would be interested in, like the Player's shoe, do not come in C width.

5. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

Yhx for the responses guys.
    - I'm not in a rush or under time constraints so I will keep looking around. Hopefully Nordstrom will be having their anniversary sale as mentioned.

Another question I had was about ae shoe lasts. I recently went in to get fitted. And they never mentioned anything about lasts. All they did was measure my foot and then started pulling shoes. Until I ended at a 10D. What should I do to get the last figured out? Is there anyway to figure what last would fit me best?

6. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

It is good to know that different shoes are made on different model lasts, but the information is not initially imperative. Try on a bunch of models you like, take the ones that fit you best, and take note of what last they are so that you can reference that for next time. Enjoy...

7. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

No, the only difference is the rubber portions of the sole and a poron insole. Otherwise the exact same shoes.

8. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Take this to heart: there is no one "right" way

brush them before and after wearing, use shoe cream lighter than the shade of your shoes (personally I use Saphir but it is expensive and Meltonian creams are just fine), and apply a THIN coat of wax occassionally (you know it is time when they start getting dull even after a brush). Do not overdo wax polish because it can be a pain to take out if there is build-up. In time you will find your own way of polishing and I am confident it will be just right.

Keep trees in, try not to get them wet, and wear them in good health.

9. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

The contents of the shoe kit are fine - you'll want two of each type of brush, one for light colors and one for dark. The conditioner is great. But you're paying for the polishes that might not be the colors you need, and especially for the leather bag. If you like the bag and the kit, this is a good one. But if you don't need/want the bag, you can get everything for much less $ individually. And if you only have only pair of shoes, you don't need duplicates of everything.

10. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

To make matters more confusing there are two 8 lasts. The 8-108 and the 8-678. For me the 8-108 last shoe (Quinton) is more comfortable than my 5 last shoes (Fifth Street and Strand) in 9D. The 5 last hits my second smallest toe on my right foot a bit too much and causes a bit of uncomfort

11. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Any word on how the new 3 last fits vs the 5 and 8?

12. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Personally I have not tried on anything in the 3 last yet.

13. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

Congrats. LOVE these shoes.

14. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

My understanding is that the new 3 last is similar to the 0 last. I have the Soho on the 0 and I find it to fit rather well, though it's less rounded and more clipped than the 5 lasted shoes.

15. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I've got a Vinci in black and a Cerreto in brown on their way from the 2 for $200 sale. I slept on a couple other of the Sevens and missed out, but happy that these worked out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.