• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Others with unlined shell Daltons: do you also get a whooshing or hissing from the brogues? Anything you've done to limit it? I guess I could have a cobbler patch in a partial lining?

Also, one discovered an unexpected consequence on unlined shell is receiving Horween branded socks...
Lol, that last part made me laugh. On the bright side though, this just means your shell Dalton has that horween stamp everybody seems to be after.

Personally Ive not had any experience with whooshing through the brogues. Others from here have said that the wooshing sounds goes away eventually as the shoe breaks in, ymmv of course.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I buy shoes from AE not cakes so a simple yes or no won't do. I'm satisfied with the shoes that they design and I don't feel the need to express my individuality or vanity by designing the shoes myself. The only scenario that I can envision where I would commission AE to make a special pair of shoes to my specifications would be something like having a pair made up in my school colors or something like that.

Nothing wrong with that at all. If offered the choice to create your own is do to demand for such a service...and AE offers the choice so there must be demand. AE even has 20 shoes on their website that you can customize yourself so clearly that is something that makes them money and people want.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I buy shoes from AE not cakes so a simple yes or no won't do.  I'm satisfied with the shoes that they design and I don't feel the need to express my individuality or vanity by designing the shoes myself.  The only scenario that I can envision where I would commission AE to make a special pair of shoes to my specifications would be something like having a pair made up in my school colors or something like that.

Some people enjoy expressing individuality, and others enjoy expressing group membership (vis a vis school colors). To each his own.

I had 4 SMUs done over the past year, and in 3 cases multiple details were clearly missed (one even had a dainite sole instead of V- Tread). I'm not sure how that happens when the invoice is explicit, but I kept them all (except one, when the sole fell off after the first wear) because the i still liked the shoes and would have felt badly for AE to have to eat the cost and discard the shoes over relatively minor details (although I wouldn't consider the sole minor). But I can understand why someone else would feel differently.

Maitiu

Reaction score
I buy shoes from AE not cakes so a simple yes or no won't do. I'm satisfied with the shoes that they design and I don't feel the need to express my individuality or vanity by designing the shoes myself. The only scenario that I can envision where I would commission AE to make a special pair of shoes to my specifications would be something like having a pair made up in my school colors or something like that.
Considering you side stepped the obvious answer. Let's use your scenario then.

If you had a MTO by AE in your school colors and AE made the shoes in the wrong color that you did not specify. Would you then complain to AE about it?

delmar

Reaction score
Considering you side stepped the obvious answer. Let's use your scenario then.

If you had a MTO by AE in your school colors and AE made the shoes in the wrong color that you did not specify. Would you then complain to AE about it?
Yes, I would complain about the shoes being the wrong color. I would complain about the shoes having the wrong soles. But people were going overboard with specifications on stitching, welts, eyelets, piping. That's not just my opinion, that's why AE cut back on the MTO deal.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I would complain about the shoes being the wrong color. I would complain about the shoes having the wrong soles. But people were going overboard with specifications on stitching, welts, eyelets, piping. That's not just my opinion, that's why AE cut back on the MTO deal.

The bold items above are currently preference-specified by anyone willing to pay the $125 mto fee.

The SF mto program was unsustainable from the start but it was a good foundation proving-ground for the now expanding on-site AE mto program.

Was the SF program profitable to AE?
Only if they use it to learn:

1: Must charge for all work performed (to be profitable, and or to offset cost of mistakes).
2: Reduce choices and exceptions.
current examples:
-Clearance pricing not likely available for mto in future.
-see the "defined" mto program choices at AE.com
3: More incremental checks through the build process.
-Mistake Rate here was too high regardless of actual price.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: Wait. You custom ordered those ugly shoes now you are complaining that there are minor defects and you are going to return them? If I were AE I'd cut you off for good in future.

I know where I've seen you before . . .

0.jpg

DayTripper

Reaction score
For $325, if that's the worse defect on the shoe, I'd keep them. Real life will cause much more distress on your shoes!

Yes, but I would just brush it for a while and it may come out without product

you shouldn't even need any cream for that. rub with a damp rag and buff. It should come out easily.

Thanks for the help, guys! I haven't had a chance to work on them yet, but I'll give these methods a try later today, if possible.

CMT1

Reaction score
Wow. The forum was just buried in spam threads when I began this reply. They are now pruned, but it was almost comical how far down the real content was pushed. Kudos to the staff for handling that so quickly.

@CMT1 , your clean up job looks terrific!

Thanks @CMT1!  Those are gorgeous now!  I do a very similar process to my shell when I receive it.  It amazes me how much better we can make them look by removing the over-application of polish.  I did once uncover some unsightly blemishes in the shell on a pre-owned pair from E.  That is the only pair I use AE's cordovan cream on and they still look pretty damn good.

Thanks guys!

@CMT1may I ask where you got vsc from?

I purchased mine from the AE store when I picked up my shell Strands a while ago, but I have GOP Shoe Guy's link bookmarked for when I need more. That's a great deal!

Well done! I have found that water is key, and whenever I brush shell I always start with a wet wipe down first. And often repeat with another wet wipe down and brushing if I am not satisfied with the results in 5 minutes or so.

Very good to know and added to future treatment plans. I'm now re-eyeing my shell Strands and wondering how much extra polish can be removed from those as well, but they look so good as-is that I'm a bit afraid to touch them. Plus my arms are tired from brushing.

I hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday, and good luck with that scratch DayTripper.

Last edited:

Indyoshi68

Reaction score

Was looking for some inclement weather to clean the LBs up and take em out; I am happy I went with Grey - can kind of dress them up.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Was looking for some inclement weather to clean the LBs up and take em out; I am happy I went with Grey - can kind of dress them up.

I've never seen them in gray - very nice!

Last edited:

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you all feel about webgems in particular? I'm getting antsy waiting for a new one. I think I've bought too many:

-3 Neumoks (White, Blue & White, Orange & White)
-Red, white & blue McAllister
-Jingle Bell Mok
-Horseman
-Walnut & cream MacNeil
-Times Square

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How do you all feel about webgems in particular?  I'm getting antsy waiting for a new one.  I think I've bought too many:

-3 Neumoks (White, Blue & White, Orange & White)
-Red, white & blue McAllister
-Jingle Bell Mok
-Horseman
-Walnut & cream MacNeil
-Times Square

I've seen some that are really nice. Bought the Macneil 5 with Dainite as seconds. I can't pull off the multi-colored ones. Some recent ones peaked my interest.

eyeheartny

Reaction score
Can anyone point me to some images (or post your own) of well-worn-in black shell? I know how burgundy and brown shell build depth and patina as they age, but I don't have a sense of what black looks like as it gets some good mileage on it.

I currently don't own any black shoes at all (is that weird?) and am considering a pair of black shell Leeds or Dundees to add to my rotation.

Cxk5075

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have a question regarding the Wolverine 744 LTD fit - I'm normally a size 10 3E in the Park Ave & Strand. Would a 10 D fit me? Opinions greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads