• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You missed my point. Dude is on here complaining but he designed those ugly shoes and if I were AE I'd cut him off for good.

And for others crying about my post earlier so sorry for being a little critical on your love fest.
Gentlemen, please allow me to reply to this troll here.

Beach bum, first of all can you please point out where in my post was I complaining?

I merely stated that I was probably returning them because they were made incorrectly. If you didn't comprehend my post in this thread and and the MTO thread, I clearly stated that the stitching and the slip bead were incorrectly made ie. they used the wrong color thread and leather from what I specified. That doesn't mean that my spec would meet your taste, but according to me if a custom shoe I specified and paid for is not made according to my spec - regardless of the shoe's quality, then I have every right to return it. And your opinion, or anybody else's for that matter, about the shoes aesthetic does not matter at all.

As for your opinion of cutting me off if you were AE, haha I don't really care about that. Don't worry I'll be the first to get off the AE wagon if you or someone like you started running AE. You obviously have no idea what customer satisfaction means.

Last edited:

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, please allow me to reply to this troll here.

Beach bum, first of all can you please point out where in my post was I complaining?

I merely stated that I was probably returning them because they was incorrectly. If you didn't comprehend my post in this thread and and the MTO thread, I clearly stated that the stitching and the slip bead were incorrectly made ie. they used the wrong color thread and leather from what I specified. That doesn't mean that my spec would meet your taste, but according to me if a custom shoe I specified and paid for is not made according to my spec - regardless of the shoe's quality, then I have every right to return it. And your opinion, or anybody else's for that matter, about the shoes aesthetic does not matter at all.

As for your opinion of cutting me off if you were AE, haha I don't really care about that. Don't worry I'll be the first to get off the AE wagon if you or someone like you started running AE. You obviously have no idea what customer satisfaction means.

This is what trolls want/feed on. Just move along, we all understand he's a dufus.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The leeds fits narrower, even though it's supposed to fit the same as other 1 last shoes.
IMO, among 1-last shoes, the fit of different shoes goes as follows: (from narrowest to widest): Malvern chukka < Leeds ptb < Dalton boot < dundee chukka = Townley
These differences are marginal however, but I noticed them because I like to wear shoes/boots with a very snug fit.
The townley shell (if they are the same lasts as used in the past) would fit like the dundee shell chukkas, although the firmer toe-cap might not work in the same size if you have extra-long toes.

Thanks for the info that helps for sure.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You missed my point. Dude is on here complaining but he designed those ugly shoes and if I were AE I'd cut him off for good.

And for others crying about my post earlier so sorry for being a little critical on your love fest.

Still not sure what part of they built them wrong is missing for you. That is the point not whether they are ugly or not. So if I go get new rims put on my car and they put the wrong ones on...if someone thinks my car is ugly then I should just keep the rims?

Makes zero sense and I am one of the least tactful people around here. I have those same shoes in Natty CXL and my friend said they looked like bowling shoes....lol

I happen to like @watch's shoes as I do not wear suits and everything is casual for me.

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks - was curious as I see so many that seem to just use same size for bals and blucher and for me it is similar to @Polo on the 65 last going from E to EEE. guess we have the high arch club.

Yeah, it terrifies me to buy bals online because Im never sure if id get the v-gap correctly.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here had a mini lug tap sole added to their AE shoes? Basically I want a mini lug top on a pair of Daltons, but not waste a resole to do so. I like the idea of getting better grip and I tend to tear through the heel and toe of my leather soled shoes quickly.

Thoughts on doing it on a chukka?

I have not but I assume AE is going to make that a full resole...perhaps B Nelson can do it - My AE V Tread is laid into the sole while Alden's mini tap lug seems laid right over the regular sole.

I wish the mini lug heel was a touch less notched on the outside but I have a few shoes I would love to add it to.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just had my AE gunboats recrafted and AE was kind enough to send me a $35 off coupon towards a new pair. I have no plans to purchase any AEs in the near future and it expires in 75 days.

I'd hate for it to go to waste and my morals tell me that trading it for money isn't right. Does anyone want it? It's only good on full price pairs in store or online.

Message me if you are interested.

I PMed because I have a few items coming soon.

However, just to note, I have bought clearance items from the AE website using these cards.

They do not enforce the "full price" small print at the AE website. Maybe with the coming RDA sale, you should hold onto it. :)

(This could change of course)

And on a different note...we have a token troll!
I have been impressed by the absence of those critters here.

delmar

Reaction score
Beach Bum is not a troll. His observation was right on the money, in my opinion. I'm growing weary of all the armchair shoe designers and their MTO projects.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beach Bum is not a troll. His observation was right on the money, in my opinion. I'm growing weary of all the armchair shoe designers and their MTO projects.

edited:

The fresh faces on this sort of thread assure redundancy.

The journey begins here for many of us, so thank you to those who share what appear to be redundant tidbits as they feed newby-successes.

Last edited:

Maitiu

Reaction score
I love forums. Everyone is an expert "in their opinion".

So, this simple question is directed to you and beach bum since you can't seem to understand the issue watchidiot is having.

If you order a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting from the bakery and the next day when you go to pick it up, they hand you a yellow cake with lemon frosting. Would you complain to the baker he made you the wrong cake? Simple yes or no will do.

Last edited:

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the Cambridge FatTuesday! I just went to town on my pair. They had always looked dull no matter how much I brushed them, so I tried the Mac method of using a bit of water with some vigorous scrubbing. I was surprised at the amount of burgundy color that transferred to the microfiber cloth when I did this, and suddenly the shoes had a lot more shine to them. I assume that this was the overly aggressive, layered factory polish and I removed a lot of it, if not all.

I probably should have stopped there, but the leather felt dry to me, so I added a light coating of VSC and the leather seemed to soak it up.

VSC removed, pre-brushing:

After about 15 minutes of brushing each shoe, with flash:

Without flash:

They look a lot better now.
Well done! I have found that water is key, and whenever I brush shell I always start with a wet wipe down first. And often repeat with another wet wipe down and brushing if I am not satisfied with the results in 5 minutes or so.

Don't know if the Jefferson Shoebank still carries VSC but they used to at something like $3 a bottle and free shipping.

The leeds fits narrower, even though it's supposed to fit the same as other 1 last shoes.
IMO, among 1-last shoes, the fit of different shoes goes as follows: (from narrowest to widest): Malvern chukka < Leeds ptb < Dalton boot < dundee chukka = Townley
These differences are marginal however, but I noticed them because I like to wear shoes/boots with a very snug fit.
The townley shell (if they are the same lasts as used in the past) would fit like the dundee shell chukkas, although the firmer toe-cap might not work in the same size if you have extra-long toes.
Agree, that is a good comparison and IME it is spot on.

delmar

Reaction score
I love forums. Everyone is an expert "in their opinion".

So, this simple question is directed to you and beach bum since you can't seem to understand the issue watchidiot is having.

If you order a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting from the bakery and the next day when you go to pick it up, they hand you a yellow cake with lemon frosting. Would you complain to the baker he made you the wrong cake? Simple yes or no will do.
I buy shoes from AE not cakes so a simple yes or no won't do. I'm satisfied with the shoes that they design and I don't feel the need to express my individuality or vanity by designing the shoes myself. The only scenario that I can envision where I would commission AE to make a special pair of shoes to my specifications would be something like having a pair made up in my school colors or something like that.

rostov

Reaction score
Others with unlined shell Daltons: do you also get a whooshing or hissing from the brogues? Anything you've done to limit it? I guess I could have a cobbler patch in a partial lining?

Also, one discovered an unexpected consequence on unlined shell is receiving Horween branded socks...

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm satisfied with the shoes that they design and I don't feel the need to express my individuality or vanity by designing the shoes myself.

And yet here you are trying so very hard to express your superiority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads