1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

Wore my Allen-Edmonds for Brooks Brothers black Strands today, which have two of my favorite things, a Poiron insole and partially rubber soles. They also originally had partially rubber heels, but I replaced the heels with all rubber heels before I wore the shoes.

I got these a few years ago, before Brooks Brothers (the "Italian Department Store" as one well-known writer calls Brooks Brothers) decided that they didn't want to sell shoes to me anymore and stopped carrying my size. Now I have to hope that Allen-Edmonds decides to make a style that I want with Poiron insoles and with any kind of rubber sole and heel.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. LanceM

LanceM Senior member

Rush streets today. I had loafer socks was going to wear Addisons, but last second change of mind.

That's great. My suede Dundees are super comfy.

Rush streets today. I had loafer socks was going to wear Addisons, but last second change of mind.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. LanceM

LanceM Senior member

Looks good. How much daily wear/walking do your shoes see?

4. suuteebird

suuteebird Active Member

[​IMG]
    Brown Grain Dundee 2.0 for a casual Friday.

1 person likes this.
  5. rskula

rskula Member

I have not tried the combination sole yet but it will be my next Recraft choice for my Strands.The cobblers here in Dallas tend to do more harm than good. I would rather Recraft with AE then risk it with these guys or spend the extra expense of B Nelson. I will have to see how the Danite prevails on this experiment. So far so good, sturdy and has a bit of the leather sole sound when walking. Less gummy then the Vibram white soles that came on my suede Strand Mocs 3 years ago. Those soles are still going though.

6. rskula

rskula Member

They see 5 days a week and checked my pedometer. I would guess 1 mile on concrete and 2 miles carpet.

7. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

5 days a week? Have you considered adding a second pair?

8. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

[​IMG]
    Rush St. made an appearance today. These things get more comfortable every time I wear them...

9. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Happy birthday to me! Baton Rouge casuals.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  10. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

Looking good!

11. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Great minds think alike - I'm wearing my brown grain Dundee 2.0 today also. Chris

12. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

I know it has been asked before, but I can't find it. So my apologies.

How do you find the fit of the 606 last compared to the 511 (ie length, width, toe box, heel, volume, etc)? I have the Wilbert 8.5b (fits good) and Dalton 9b (fits good with medium-thicker socks). Thinking of ordering Patriot loafer in 9b.

Thanks in advance.

13. rskula

rskula Member

I have 7 pairs that I rotate in the most being 2 wears a week per shoe

14. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I guess I misunderstood when you said you wear them "5 days per week"

15. fox15

fox15 Well-Known Member

Just got in my new Jefferson (2nds) and am trying to decide if I should keep them or send them back. In the left instep it feels like some padding is wadded up (which doesn't bother me since I have a rather high instep anyway) and on the right inside it appears as if there is a Crack or scar in the leather. My big concern here isn't superficial since it's not a visible spot, but rather if it will cause a structural problem down the road
    Photo of the crack/scar:
    [​IMG]

Overall photo just because:[​IMG]

16. billikenman

billikenman Well-Known Member

Hard to tell from the photo whether it's actually a crack or a scar/blemish. Is the leather smooth or is it opened up there like a crack? Unless it's actually a crack, I wouldn't worry about it.

17. fox15

fox15 Well-Known Member

It's hard to see and tell in person.

[​IMG]

Fortunately it's not in a high flex area being near the front of the heel, and if it was any color but walnut, I don't think I would've seen it.

Edit:

because of the risk of a crack, I contacted CAC directly and arranged for an exchange. Since it is a structural flaw, they agreed to waive the restocking. Hopefully they'll have the same shoe in by the time they process everything

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  18. ChukkasOnHudson

ChukkasOnHudson Member

The non-lined up eylets is a QC issue. I have a pair of Eagle Creek/River boots 2nds from the Shoe Bank, that have the same offset eyelets. mine were cheap, and I use them as winter boots in bad weather, so not a big deal for me. But if they were 1sts and I paid full price, I would've sent them back. Realistically, it's pretty unlikely others will notice, so it just depends how much it will bother you.

19. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

Walnut Friday?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. OdusBK

OdusBK Well-Known Member

So I have these loafers, I got them roughly 9 months ago but they were only worn feb-mid may, 1-2 times a week if that. (Havent worn them since then until yesterday) I realized that the two leather soles on the left foot have been separated. Not sure if this is a problem with the welt or just regular wear. I have another pair of allen edmonds that has seen more wear and worse condition (i wore them in rain and even slush) and the soles havent separated. When i reached out to allen edmonds the customer service rep kind of implied that it was because of wear.I think its more than that because the left shoe is fine and has about equal wear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.