• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMT1

Reaction score
My Shaker Heights seconds came in today. They have their identifiable issues with two slight (almost imperceptible) impressions in the leather, and visibly uneven coloring on both tongues that cannot be seen when worn.

Overall I could not be more satisfied with this boot at its super-low closeout price. I love the look, and they are extremely comfortable.

I hope everyone's week is going well.

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, based on your experience do 1-lasted boots wear the same as 1-lasted shoes? Also would shell vs calf boots wear differently?

I only have a Carson City (calf in 1-last similar to longbranch) in 8.5D and they are a bit snug with normal socks. As Im planning to shell boot in the same last that I plan on wearing with thicker socks, I would like to ask whether I should go 8.5E or 9D or stay to 8.5D is shell wears bigger.

Thanks for the advise. Unfortunately, I dont have an AE store anywhere near me. Im on the other side of the wolrd.

LeviMay

Reaction score
Hey, Idiot (sorry... Really wanted to reply like that). I have no experience with shell, but my Long Branch, Dalton, and Bayfield all fit very similar to my Leeds, Big Sur and (old) Lexington, all on the 1-511 Last. There are slight discrepencies, but not nearly enough to change size or width.

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, Idiot (sorry... Really wanted to reply like that). I have no experience with shell, but my Long Branch, Dalton, and Bayfield all fit very similar to my Leeds, Big Sur and (old) Lexington, all on the 1-511 Last. There are slight discrepencies, but not nearly enough to change size or width.
I'd agree. Though I've only tried on Leeds but they felt about the same as my Daltons. I have calf and shell and they fit about the same. The Long Branch has a bit more volume though it seems. But just wear some thicker socks.

jch1

Reaction score
My Shaker Heights seconds came in today. They have their identifiable issues with two slight (almost imperceptible) impressions in the leather, and visibly uneven coloring on both tongues that cannot be seen when worn.

Overall I could not be more satisfied with this boot at its super-low closeout price. I love the look, and they are extremely comfortable.

Damn those look nice.

rostov

Reaction score
as a previous poster mentioned, you might try breaking them in over a weekend (or short work days).
Also, I would suggest wearing at least medium weight cotton socks (not synthetic thin dress socks) while you are breaking them in (which involves wearing them around the house for a few hours, but taking them off if too uncomfortable).
Pressure on the ball is not too bad, if your toes are OK (imo teh ball can exert enough pressure to force the shoes to conform, but crushed-toe issues rarely get resolved even after break-in)

I really hope this isn't true. I just gave those spankin' new shell Daltons a first wear, but after an hour or so, the pinkie toe on my wider foot was getting quite unhappy. Right now, I'm hoping it stretches out a bit, otherwise I'll need to consider if I should sell these to @peppercorn78 or just amputate the toe.

lemmy127

Reaction score
Behold, the wonders of AE Recrafting...

Before - a $50 pair of beat up, heavily used burgundy shell Leeds from eBay:

Middle - after several rounds of Renovateur, Reno'Mat, and (gasp!) rubbing alcohol:

After - Fresh off my feet from the first wearing post-AE Recrafting:

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mine are supposed to arrive tomorrow - I hope I am as lucky as you with the small imperfections.

I will post some photos when mine arrive, but I don't think they will be as good as yours - very nice photos!

Chris

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
congrats @lemmy they are great ...

so since we are on the Shaker Heights boots anyone know where to get reasonable priced tweed pants? I really think I need a pair to mix in with the cords this winter.

AT83

Reaction score

Gentlemen, based on your experience do 1-lasted boots wear the same as 1-lasted shoes? Also would shell vs calf boots wear differently?

I only have a Carson City (calf in 1-last similar to longbranch) in 8.5D and they are a bit snug with normal socks. As Im planning to shell boot in the same last that I plan on wearing with thicker socks, I would like to ask whether I should go 8.5E or 9D or stay to 8.5D is shell wears bigger.

Thanks for the advise. Unfortunately, I dont have an AE store anywhere near me. Im on the other side of the wolrd.

I was told that the 1 last boots (I MTO'd Bayfields) were made with a combination last with a heel width 2 sizes narrower than the size. I was told my D width boots had B width heels. I have a pair of Leeds in slightly larger sizes as I found my Bayfields crowd my toes and find that my heel swims. Don't know how much to attribute to size changes vs. Additional boot lacing with the shaft vs. Combination boot lasts.

Also thinking about doing an MTO of the macgregor at intro price +125 since I require split sizes and wondering if anybody had thoughts on a casual brown makeup. Thinking about snuff or brogue suede, the dark brown leather of the Clark Street or ? My only brown shoes are Independence Strands in burnished walnut (somewhere between walnut and bourbon) and Center Fielder boat shoes that have been oiled and are quite dark.

Last edited:

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am making a spreadsheet of all my AE shoes, noting last, fit, size etc....Literally putting on and lacing every shoe up and walking around the house with them...Shoe 17 was the SHaker Heights and I swear you could not custom make a pair of shoes or boots that fit me better. I am without a doubt ordering another pair, just have to decide on the color..thinking perhaps black as I am selling my other two black boots or the new one with the olive tweed.

Edit: maybe and MTO in suede, suede/tweed or suede calf combo....OH BOY!

Last edited:

suitntieguy

Reaction score
Saw a few images posted on here, but does anyone know when the RDA catalog will be available?

inchyko

Reaction score
I would recommend the Rush Street - personally I like it better than the Strandmok because it is less distressed and has the contrast piping. I like the chromexcel leather and I prefer the black Dainite over the red Dainite (personal preference). I have the brown, but I really like the new olive Rush Streets.

Also take a look at the Wilbert - it may be a bit too casual for you but I really like mine. Very comfortable.

Here are my Rush Streets and Wilberts

Chris

Thanks for the suggestions Chris. Im actually also looking at the Rush Streets but find them too light of a brown although I do like that contrast piping :) Will look into the Wilberts also.

i think the Clarke St. fits your usual get up more than the Rush St. The Clark St is a blucher and is more appropriate for chinos - plus you can even wear it with jeans. I like the natural but I think the dark brown may be more versatile. Some flat brown laces would look nice on those.

Now that dark brown is nice. Thanks watchidiot. The dark browns are not listed in the website though.

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the suggestions Chris. Im actually also looking at the Rush Streets but find them too light of a brown although I do like that contrast piping :) Will look into the Wilberts also.

Now that dark brown is nice. Thanks watchidiot. The dark browns are not listed in the website though.
Wait til RDA and you'll have them at that awesome price too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads