1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JR Magat

JR Magat Senior member

+1 this has been my experience as well going from majority AE to now majority Alden. I still have love for AE, but I just prefer the aesthetics and fit of Alden makeups in general; plus I caught a case of the "rare" shell bug which is half the fun

2. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Brooks x AE Aberdeens today
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Robertson

Robertson Senior member

Walnut Wednesday McAllisters

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. LanceM

LanceM Senior member

When you guys get a new pair of shoes, do you put them in rotation or wear them more often so, they break in quicker?

5. ScofieldReturns

ScofieldReturns Senior member

depends on how many pairs of shoes you have!

my rotation is about 5 now, so instead of wearing it once a week i may wear it twice a week to break in.

6. shoelover

shoelover Senior member

Need some advice. I have a chance to buy what appears to be shell cordovan monks. Can you tell by the pics if they are shell or calf? There seems to be the correct wrinkles and maybe even some "blooming?' Help me out here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  7. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Everytime I put my Gobi's on it just reminds how comfortable dainite with no midsole is....

8. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

CRAZY TALK!!!

9. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

this is all arguably true, but (imo) C&J are both better finished, better constructed, and better looking than their Alden counterparts, and are similarly priced now. Alden is a bit weird b/c it's such a fashion brand at this point and that drives price. I own Alden Indy boots but otherwise my C&J boots are way nicer than Alden and for the price, my AE shell loafers I prefer to Alden. Alden occupies a weird middle ground imo, again driven by its status as a fashion brand

10. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

+1 this has been my experience as well going from majority AE to now majority Alden. I still have love for AE, but I just prefer the aesthetics and fit of Alden makeups in general; plus I caught a case of the "rare" shell bug which is half the fun

Not going to disagree completely. I will say that I have had my fair share of QC issues with Alden however when I get a pair I expect them to be terrific and sadly with AE I expect there to be an issue. I will disagree on the finish of Alden's shell...to me they look plastic, patent leather or vynal......and of course I own several pairs of it with more on the way :) I dull them up. Won't rehash the wing debate as that is a preference. One thing WITHOUT a doubt is that Alden when it comes to boots eats AE's lunch...from styles, to fit to models offered and leather choices.

One place AE stumbles is that they put out a boot then it is gone...nothing stays in the rotation. If it was not for MTO'd AE boots I think I would only own 3 or 4 - with Alden it really never ends...just when you have enough Indy's someone drops a new build with a new leather...etc ....NST/Captoe/Indy...three boot models you can own a bunch of and never be done. Alden's speedhooks are a joke.(sorry had to get that in :)

And for AE to me when you get a perfect pair there is no better value around.

11. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

They look like shell to me. I'm guessing they are the Shell Norwich????

12. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

13. shoelover

shoelover Senior member

Spring 1995 catalog has them as "Black Cherry Shell Cordovan Standish" Got them for $49. Anyone know what black cherry is supposed to look like?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  14. phsiao08

phsiao08 Senior member

15. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

16. shoelover

shoelover Senior member

17. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

18. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

New arrivals

Brown Northland seconds - stamped and have some poor leather on one shoe near the heel and waxy build up to be cleaned off (Keepers)
    Golden Brown Maritime seconds - not stamped and appear flawless, beautiful color on them (Keepers)
    Loden Suede Cavanaugh firsts - Flawless looking but having fit issues. Have a bit of pain on the left vamp from the strap. Heel is boarderline loose so I don't think sizing up or out a width will help. Will give them some carpet time at home and see if they are going to be staying (Undecided)

The loden suede is a great color in person and the toe stitching is a really sharp looking contrasting dark tan/brown thread.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Damn that loden is nice...wonder if that is the same that was used on the Dundees - that looks way greener ---I like yours better

20. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

Walnut Wednesday [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.