1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

I have a pair in that color and I love 'em. Here's hoping the Bourbon grows on you, too!

2. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

My new Maritimes just came in from the post. I like them a lot. You can't tell from the photos, but the Golden Chromexel has great depth and richness. Sure glad I pulled the trigger on these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

Thanks everyone. Yes, I put booties on... it was just I was glad I choose some good footwear on the great day.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Congrats!! Looking forward to my Golden Brown pair that is on the way, now get to trimming those laces. They ship them really long for some reason and look way better cut back a bit.

5. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

New dark chili Dalton seconds were just delivered today. I like the color, it's a tad bit redder than I expected. The blemish making them seconds seems to be the eyelets on the right shoe not lining up perfectly (but probably not bad enough for me to return).

Other than that, the issue is . . . THEY SQUEAK LIKE CRAZY. The leather has sort of a plastic/sticky/glossy look or finish to it, that I haven't ever noticed with AE shoes/boots before. I put them on and in every direction on every portion of the boot, it just squeaks loudly. There is no one area like the tongue that is the problem area - it's all a problem area.

I used some cleaner conditioner on them to let that sort of hydrate/condition the leather, and they're drying now. But even when applying it, it seemed like it wouldn't go into the leather nearly as well as my other AE shoes, as if there was some protective armor coat on them. Very odd.

I'll post pics after I go run some errands (and they've had time to dry).

6. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Paul told us a while back that they're changing the finishing process to make the calfskin glossier.

7. BackInTheJox

Hmmm I must've missed that.

I'm not sure it's an improvement.

8. newuser123

newuser123 Active Member

I have as well and they are only six months old but get better with age. They take a shine really well

9. BackInTheJox

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The second pic is comparing my dark chocolate Daltons in the same size/width. It may not be as obvious in the photo, but the shape of the last seems noticeably wider in the newer ones. Weird.

It's been over an hour since I used cleaner conditioner and they're still wet/kinda sticky.

10. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Yeah, I've noticed that all of my AEs from the past year have been lasted noticeable looser. The shape seems less defined too. Perhaps this is another cost-cutting method, to reduce the number of pairs that split during the lasting process. Or maybe they're cutting down the time the shoes spend on the last further (it's already an impossibly short seeming 24 hours).

11. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

I'm having a similar issue with some brown grain Dundees I just got. Called the Charleston store to talk to Jeff (who was awesome when I ordered, BTW) to see if it would be OK to try some conditioner cleaner on them if I might return. That worked for me before on my Bleecker streets. He wasn't in, but Ashley who answered the phone recommended trying some saddle soap instead. I rubbed some on the tongue edges and the underside of the upper where they rub together and let them dry overnight. Haven't had time to check on them tonight. Mets/Cubs game is on, so maybe I'll check on them tomorrow. :)

12. chenzhongbi

chenzhongbi Senior member

I was wondering if you guys can give me some sizing advice on the Cavanaugh I bought from shoebank. I was measured 9.5d on the Brancock device. Actually it's between 9 and 9.5, and slightly wider than D. I normally wear 9E in 5-last shoes.

I got these Cavanaughs in 9.5D. They give me terrible heel slips. My entire heel slips out of the shoes when walking. What I also noticed is that the midsection of the shoes bows out quite a bit. Does it mean that I should size down on length and size up in width? Or does it mean this last just doesn't work for me? Thanks in advance.
    [​IMG]

13. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

From what I heard they run a bit big so going with your 5 last size might have been best. I measure between an 8 and 8.5 and opted for an 8D. My pair should hopefully be here this week to confirm if my sizing selection was correct.

14. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Use baby powder and a wet paper towel. Rub the baby powder within the squeaky area. Should do the trick

15. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  16. alexnb

alexnb Well-Known Member

A few months back I ordered some chocolate suede Cavenaughs from Shoebank, and one of them was way too wide. So it is possible that that is why the shoes are discounted. Perhaps this model is harder to produce in the proper width? I ended up sending them back because I had similar issues.

It is also possible that you are a C or B width in this shoe. Loafers reveal width problems more than any shoe.

17. aero25

aero25 Senior member

Really like that look you've got there!

18. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

I may have to rethink my distain for the color after seeing these. If I ever get a pair of McGregors, which I plan to do next year, I will have to strongly consider bourbon.

19. garland

garland Senior member

I used this product from Angelus.

http://angelusdirect.com/products/angelus-walk-on-black

I had originally planned to do a simulated fiddleback waist or something similar, but had quite a bit of bleeding on my masking tape area so I just went all in. I was curious to see if it added any longevity to the soles. Verdict remains to be seen on that one.

2 people like this.
  20. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.