1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior Member

Beautiful! They seem to fit you very well. Nice lacing job - is that the "European" straight lace, where the cross over behind?

Regarding shell in lousy weather, one of 3 things happen: either it isn't bothered by water, gets temporary marks/welts, or gets permenent marks and/or welts.

I only have 2 pair that get permanent welts, and those tend to be fixed with a fairly damp rag, letting the dampness absorb into the shoe, buffing for a few minutes with a horsehair brush and then letting them dry. I can still see the welts at a foot away, but further than that they are invisible. 1 pair gets temporary welts that go away on their own after they dry out. All my others don't welt (they may get a mark where the water hit them, but a quick brushing and the mark goes away).

All that said, if it's forecast to be really bad out, I either wear polished calfskin shoes, my ancient shell Leeds and/or use tingley overshoes. If it's forecast to be a chance of showers, I just don't wear my two pair that get permanent welts.

Last edited: May 2, 2012

2. BigCheese

BigCheese Well-Known Member

Just ordered:

Walnut Player's, because its awesome
    Burgundy Presidio, suit and travel
    Kiowa, for a casual captoe
    Brown Vinci, great plain toe for suits, I have the brown kenilworth for more casual wear.

Not bad for $100 a piece, especially the first quality Vinci.

3. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Distinguished Member

Thanks for the compliements. I typically do bar lacing with balmorals but change it up sometimes; I do 'X' lacing on my Fifth Street.

I typically have calf shoes with sole guards, overshoes, or wet wetaher shoes (i.e., C&J Islays) but I took a chance withthe Cambridge today. I typically don't mind the shell 'welts' on brogue shoes but I try not to wear my PTBs on possibly rainy days because then they are typically more notieable. More often than not a couple passes of Saphir and a couple of wears and the shell evens out.

I should personally thank you for the head's up sales since I got the Cambridge from one of your PSAs.

4. Mr. Caber

Mr. Caber Senior Member

Just got the walnut players (sorry, "playahs") and the brown Vincis myself! Great minds and all that...
    Of course now I'm never going to want to spend more than $100 on a pair of shoes again!

5. aglass

aglass Well-Known Member

So the 2 for $200 deal is still ongoing? I'm late to the game, hoping to pick up at least one of the Player's...

6. CJG_NYC

CJG_NYC Senior Member

How does the 2-222 last fit compared to the 5? I'm thinking of pulling the 2 for 200 trigger on strawfuts and players! :slayer:

Edited to ask: the prices given in the emails from the shoebank, does that effect the availability for 2 for $200? (for example, next to strawfut it says the full price...)

7. CJG_NYC

CJG_NYC Senior Member

Damn I just realized the Moras (not Neumoras) are on my list. What last was the Mora on? (8??) How does that fit compared to the 5 last?

8. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior Member

The retail price on the lists doesn't affect the 2 for $200 deal. I ordered Strawfut and Weybridge for my brother yesterday under the 2 for $200 sale. Both shoes are $335 on the list I received.

9. CJG_NYC

CJG_NYC Senior Member

Awesome thanks for that input! Now that I saw the Moras in brown on my list my thinking has changed. I was going to go wth brown/brown mesh Strawfuts and walnut players but instead I think I'm going to do the brown moras and snuff suede players (have been in the market for another dark brown shoe and a suede, so this is perfect and I'll get more use out of the moras than the strawfuts I think!)

10. aglass

aglass Well-Known Member

I hope you aren't a 10.5D because I want those Moras [​IMG]

11. CJG_NYC

CJG_NYC Senior Member

Haha no worries I'm not a 10.5D.

I read somewhere the 2 last (players) and 8 last (moras) fit fairly similar to the 5 last. Can anyone attest to that?

12. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior Member

Is $245 a decent price for park Ave 2nds? Or would it be better to wait for a sale? What is average price of park ave 's when on sale?

13. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior Member

I found the 2 last to be much more narrow than the 5. I fit park aves/strands/mcallisters perfectly, but I can hardly fit my foot in the hale. They might be longer and pointier than the 5 though, as I thought the players was much too loose for me. The 8 is a little wider than the 5, but might be shorter and more square at the toe; I can squeeze into delrays/ LaSalles, but they are nowhere near as comfortable as the 5 last shoes. Just my 2cents

What size are you?! I would love the chance to own some moras also!

14. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior Member

Brooks Brothers versions of the 5th ave on sale for 199 now on seconds. Confirmed by sales associate to be recraftable

15. lachyzee

lachyzee Distinguished Member

You can buy 1sts from sf member allaboutshoes anytime you like for ~$240.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.