1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@csmitty where was that.

Please god tell me those players were white bone and nothing else, otherwise I'll have a meltdown [​IMG]

2. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

Nice! If only I had such a large foot.

3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

They are "polished cobbler" or corrected grain leather.

4. BKBridge

BKBridge Well-Known Member

^This

5. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

What BCF were you at?

6. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

I've never understood sniping. If you put in what you are actually willing to pay up front doesn't that solve any problems. If you lose, the price they sold at is more than you were willing to pay anyway.

7. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

I think people get annoyed if you put a bid of $300 and you lose because someone else sniped it for $302.50 in the last 10 seconds. This could happen even if you put $310, you would lose to a snipe bid of $312.50 or something stupid.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  8. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Poor high bid then...

9. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Right, I mean typically I put in like $308.50 or something to throw it off, but I've still been sniped. I tend to live in the Best Offer/BIN these days as I've found some good deals that way.

10. suuteebird

suuteebird Active Member

Are all Shoebank shoes 2nds? Or are the closeout models considered 1sts?

11. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

Not the right place for an eBay review, but if anyone is buying more than a few items per year on eBay, please read up on sniping, as it will definitely save you money on average across a handful of purchases.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auction_sniping

12. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

My understanding is closeouts are 1sts and that everything at ShoeBank is technically a 2nd but this could mean a floor model with try-on wear, returns that can't be sold as new, etc.

The Aberdeens I bought are indistinguishable from new after a really close inspection and aren't marked with the 2nds "shoe" on the sole or in any other way.

There are certainly greater and lesser 2nds. I've seen some at my sorta-nearby outlet that would really be thirds for me (color mismatch, irregular stitching, etc.), but most often it takes a close eye to figure it out and sometimes you can't see anything at all. I got a pair of cognac McTavish where one shoe has a very small mark/cut at the back and seems slightly off around the ankle when they aren't on your foot (but look and feel fine when you lace them up). The other shoe is 100% and I'm thrilled with the deal.

I think developing some rapport with the SA and politely asking for a hard/skeptical look is usually going to give you a good idea of what you'll get.

My $0.02.

13. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

the problem becomes irrational bidding. say you are willing to pay $300 - wouldn't you also be willing to pay $302? Of course, it's only $2 extra! the problem is other people think the same way, and when they see your $300 bid a couple days before the auction ends, they think "well that's a bit more than I wanted to spend, but I can bid just a bit above that!". and back to you it goes and you get into a bidding war. meanwhile if you had just waiting until the very end to bid, you both lose this time period of bidding against each other. just a classic bidding war situation is created where the price goes beyond what anyone really wanted to spend - in this way putting in your max price early can actually drive up the price

sniping protects you from irrational behavior like this, it's like a chastity belt protecting you from your own urges :)

set the price you are actually willing to spend (before your judgment gets clouded or influenced by others) when you see the item, then don't go back and check. it's actually way less work this way, and you may actually end up winning bids against people who don't bid effectively (someone who might be willing to pay a lot more than the minimum bid increase but doesn't bid that way, and doesn't see they have been outbid until it's too late)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  14. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

15. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Last fall AE reissued McClain and Weybridge in "polished" leather as a Black Friday special for under $200.

In AEspeak, "polished leather" = corrected grain.

You can believe me, or not. :)

16. tharkun

tharkun Senior member

These brown Leeds are maybe two months old. Is it normal to have these scratch marks in the back and at the side of the shoe already? The same is happening on the walnut ones but not yet as pronounced but they're a week or two younger too. Most of my shoes before this got destroyed at the heel like that first, even before their soles gave out. These Leeds are my first "good shoes" though. Searching any terms with "heel" will result in women's heel wearing problems to pop up...

[​IMG]

17. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Have you been fitted? Seems like you think you're one size but not...

How often are you wearing the shoes?

I'd consider visiting a local cobbler...

18. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

While some of you don't need much urging, if anyone is debating about whether he should jump on a pair of Long Branches (especially the Golden Brown CXL) during the RDA, you need to do it. Mine are offficially one year old and I couldn't be more pleased. Quick (almost non-existent) break in time. Very comfortable and good looking. Once the temp drops, I'm looking for any excuse to wear them.

They aren't a heavy weight, heavy duty hiker, but they bridge the gap nicely between those which are and more formal dress boots. One of AE's better winter offerings, I think.

19. tharkun

tharkun Senior member

Not been fitted at AE, no. That'd be quite a drive to the US from here :) These are 8 1/2 3E. All my life I've worn 40 or 41 (EU size) in any shoes. So I tried 8 which was too small and 8 1/2 which seemed good. FWIW my left foot is a size smaller. If I ever get more AE I will definitely try 9 I guess...

I alternate between the two Leeds, so 2-3 times a week to the office and sometimes on the weekends, depending on where we are going. Just wore them to the Toronto Zoo for example, so a full day of walking.

What would I ask the cobbler to do?

20. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Agree. I have them in brown grain, and love them. Zero break in, and easily the most comfortable AE shoe I own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.