• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long Branch today with maiden voyage in some new denim.
8de1fe1ab29d31b020827909f1e1011e.jpg

Also got word from my SA that Banchory's are in. Headed over shortly to check em out.

Last edited:

Booter

Reaction score
For all you boners get some sandpaper and rub out your bone until it's smooth. Much better experience than just avoiding the rough/scratchy areas.

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long Branch today with maiden voyage in some new denim.
8de1fe1ab29d31b020827909f1e1011e.jpg

Also got word from my SA that Banchory's are in. Headed over shortly to check em out.
Nice looking long branch! Pairs well with the selvedge denim. May I ask the deets of the denim?

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For all you boners get some sandpaper and rub out your bone until it's smooth. Much better experience than just avoiding the rough/scratchy areas.

Epic post. :slayer:

Last edited:

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have spoke with the Recraft Manager Sandy regarding my Leeds being sent in to have the welt and soles changed, so far so good. She has assured me that changing the welt and edge color will be no problem and is looking into a few other things for me. I can't wait to hear back and get them sent off.

Here is my thoughts so far on what I intend to change:

I am thinking the same welt and edge color as the Mctavish in cognac dublin, then doing the outsole in either Black (I think they are looking into Brown for me) Dainite or Mini Lug Tap Sole. Hoping the final outcome will be a great all weather casual cordovan shoe that I can really give a beating to.

Welt & Edge Color possible selection:

Outsole options:

Fingers crossed for brown, it's a longshot :)

Last edited:

lemmy127

Reaction score

Quote:
From my understanding the Reno and VSC were pretty similar products and that Reno is marketed as a cleaner/condition. Also went over the cordovan care guide at the Hanger Project again where they use Reno. I'll probably end up with some VSC at some point since that seems to be the go to for CXL. Suppose I'll give these a wear and see what they look like afterwards.
I, like Burzan, don't use Reno except as a cleaner on shell. The turpentine in it is not good for shell. I use Lexol and have never tried VSC.

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I was aware that the turpentine was not good for shell and only had the Reno for my calf shoes. I was originally on the Mac method and used some Saphir Cordovan Creme as these some whate creases appeared. As it was stated earlier VSC has turpentine in it as well so from that stand point they equally probably shouldn't be used heavily. I figured I'd try some Reno in a small amount (I'm an engineer so used my interpretation of small since no one throws out numbers) to see what happens. Recraft already kinda messed up this pair anyways....

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have spoke with the Recraft Manager Sandy regarding my Leeds being sent in to have the welt and soles changed, so far so good. She has assured me that changing the welt and edge color will be no problem and is looking into a few other things for me. I can't wait to hear back and get them sent off.

Here is my thoughts so far on what I intend to change:

I am thinking the same welt and edge color as the Mctavish in cognac dublin, then doing the outsole in either Black (I think they are looking into Brown for me) Dainite or Mini Lug Tap Sole. Hoping the final outcome will be a great all weather casual cordovan shoe that I can really give a beating to.

Welt & Edge Color possible selection:

Outsole options:

Fingers crossed for brown, it's a longshot :)

If brown dainite becomes available, i dont care what the vote was in the survey Im putting that on the brown grain EC GMTO hahaha.

What color did they say was the welt and edge on the cognac mactavish?

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Thanks. They're JCrew Resin Crinkle finish. Probably wouldn't have been my first choice but got a pretty good deal on them. Made in China unfortunately :(

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If brown dainite becomes available, i dont care what the vote was in the survey Im putting that on the brown grain EC GMTO hahaha.

What color did they say was the welt and edge on the cognac mactavish?

I know right, brown Dainite would be awesome for a lot of makeups.

I was speaking to her about doing a chili colored welt and actually haven't sent the pictures I had in mind yet. When I hear back next I plan to ask about the specifics from the Mctavish.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And one more question for the shell-heads: someone in the Alden thread recommended using Alden Leather Defender on cordovan shoes before each wearing. Does anyone do anything like this? It seems excessive as shell is supposed to be hearty stuff.

I don't think shell needs to be "defended" from anything.
Couple of years ago I used it for a little bit but felt it didn't really do much. Really puts a shine on shell for a little bit at first then kind of gets in the way and makes them dull. In the end I concluded the same as half and stopped using it.

Quote: Stubborn ones, aren't they?!

The back of a warm teaspoon will do pretty much the same thing as a deer bone. What I do on those is first put a little Reno on the spots to help lubricate the spoon. Then put a finger in the cup of the spoon to help press down and rub it in a circular motion over the spots. Once your done with that I give the whole shoe a thin coat of Reno. Then immediately wipe the whole shoe down with a fairly wet rag, much wetter than normal Mac method. Then grab the brush and brush the whole shoe. Don't worry about polishing it at that point you just want to spread the water around and dry it as fast as you can. Work the complete shoe over as fast as you can. Once your sure it is dry then slow down and start the normal brushing process. That normally works for me anyhow.

frankmartin

Reaction score
Can somebody post pictures of a well used independence sole?

Has anybody ever put a topy on a independence sole? could you post a picture? I'm wondering what it would look like?

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any fit information on the 8 last? AE says that it is long/narrow. Can anyone compare it to the 5 last? Thank you in advance.

I take the same size as the 5-last but most people go one size up in width from the 5-last.

So ask yourself whether the width of the 5 last is tight or a bit loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads