1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

That's very possible, thanks.

2. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    I really wanted to find a short wing balmoral that would fit my poor wide feet and high instep. The McAllister on the 65 last will simply not work for me. I then stumbled across the discontinued Chester that was made on the 73 last. I also wanted a merlot/burgundy/ox blood colored shoe. After a little looking I found a Chester in merlot with nice condition uppers on ebay and sent them in for recrafting. I was hoping this would be a good experience as I had never used this service before. They arrived today and I could not be happier with the final product. Bear in mind this shoe and color was discontinued in February 2005, so this shoe is now a decade old at the minimum. So my AE appreciation is for the recrafting service that gives us the opportunity to revive a discontinued style when the current offerings do not work.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  3. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

^
    Those look great. Congrats on your successful restoration project.

4. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

Those are wonderful. I'm glad it worked for you. Happen to have previous pics, maybe from original sale even?

5. anzar

anzar Senior member

Thumbs up man, great shoes

6. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

Beautiful find!

Recrafting an eBay purchase was the original hook for me as well. Was my first venture into investment grade footwear. :)

7. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:Shame. I'd love a $25 Strand Messenger bag. [​IMG]

$147 for 2nds was as low as those got not to long ago. Still amazing at that price though.
    You're telling me there were recently Strand messenger bags seconds on sale for $147?

Yeap. About 2-3 months ago I think.

8. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

9. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

Have been working for past couple of weeks on changing the edge dressing on these bourbon daltons, I think it took approx. 2 hours in total. It could have been done better, but I still like it better than black ...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Here is the before picture. Great bones for the AE staff to restore.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Yes as stated by someone else, Dundee has only been a cordovan model for about 5 years, but in my perspective all of the "2.0" models are updates to existing models and the introductions of the Dundee "2.0" to me doesn't fall in the same category as Amoks, Gobis or Mojaves that were up for one season and then went straight to clearance or only up as a webgem. To me it's just a change of the models in the direction AE is taking all of their shoes. I speculate that the poron insole is going to be the norm going forward.

It depends on your perspective, but to some level I do agree that AE has had a weird strategy/run of chukkas, but it aligns with their strategy to come out with twists on classic styles which led to a lot of models of all types of shoes to be produced. I'm not sure if that's the same going forward.

12. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Someone stepped on my shoes during the morning subway commute. :fu:

Gonna have to polish that! :)

[​IMG]

13. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Those look good - what was your process/products?

14. fairlynerdy

fairlynerdy Senior member

Outstanding job --- those look amazing, even without toning it down.

15. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

JoS A Bank has shoe trees on sale again with code "TODAY". Slightly more than the last "buy one, get two free," but still pretty good (one for $12.50, two for $20, or three pairs for $26.25).

1 person likes this.
  16. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Those look great, doc!

Can either of you comment on a previous question about if the footbed is recrafted/renewed during the recrafting service? Or would the foot impressions from the previous wearer's still be present? I've read and heard mixed reports of this.

17. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

18. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Thanks for the feedback, @Kahuna75 . So in terms of foot impressions, are they still present? That is, if I were to take your shoes and send them off, when they came back would I still feel your impressions? Or would they feel flat, like new shoes?

19. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Thanks!

I'm an 11.5 D in some things and 12 D in others, which straddles their L and XL. OK to use XL everywhere?

20. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

My uncertainty might also be related to the fact I don't know the difference between footbed and corkbed...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.