1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterellington

misterellington Well-Known Member

LOVE my Haights!—Got 'em in Black Calf. They look GREAT with jeans (of damn near any color variant) a sleek leather moto jacket or my nice 3/4 leather with a black turtleneck. The little bit of brogueing on the toe gives it a hint of a dressy edge, but...it's got s mod vibe too. Plus, there's that Dainite sole 'tho...DAMN!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. drlivingston

drlivingston Well-Known Member

Yes... if you spoke to the right person.

3. Gabru

Gabru Well-Known Member

Thanks, I should have known better [​IMG]
    still can't recall these new style names...

4. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Well-Known Member

Well, at least half of one. But, yes, it's been a while.

5. Dd1101

Dd1101 Well-Known Member

Picked up the McGregors in chili with dainite sole. Looks gorgeous, but you can really tell the leather hide is getting thinner and thinner at AE..

Also look at the sole, worth returning?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. angelescrest

angelescrest Well-Known Member

You said it! Aside from wearing my strands w my best, there is little I can wear that makes me feel as good as a pair of dark denim w my Haights. I can't say Chelsea's look great on their own in photos, but there's just something about it paired w jeans that run slightly long at the ankle.

1 person likes this.
  7. angelescrest

Redmusic, you're giving me some great thoughts in this and the last post. Funny you should mention the Flatiron, I was just looking at that and do like it. The Cornwallis, too, is a stunning shoe. I think part of the problem is that when I look at the other colors, I just think how much better they look in the various shades of brown and even merlot. Since most people buy Park Aves in black so I don't have the same problem about the other colors.

I think what I'm realizing is that I just don't like the shape of the Park Aves when they're in black. I work in the visual arts, and while black is sleek, it creates a different (perhaps lesser) sense of space and shape. I should also add that lighting black objects in photography is different than lighting other objects due to the need to use that speculation highlight to create shape. So most of the pictures I see of the Park Aves, they look pretty terrible. Not to say that I was drooling over them in the store. I think part of what we love about the burnishing in the browns is that it gives the shoe more dimension. The shoes you mentioned here have a lot more shape, and even when I look at other manufacturers that give a more chiseled toe, for some reason I prefer that in black. That's where the flatiron is more interesting for me, and the Cornwallis has the interesting hourglass cut to it. I'm not exactly one to chase trends though, and I know myself enough to know that I can, in time, appreciate something that deserves it. That's where I'm trying to give the PAs a chance, and even the Fifth Aves. I definitely want a shoe that will work with my medium gray suit and navy Birdseye suit, but also occasionally with business casual and ivy prep.

1 person likes this.
  8. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

I'd say "no" - your first day will make it moot.

9. BKBridge

BKBridge Well-Known Member

If you like the fifth ave but prefer the shape of the Cornwallis might I suggest the Yorktown. The Cornwallis is getting all the love for the AE's fall release but I think the Yorktown is a handsome shoe as well.

10. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Well-Known Member

AE sells a Dark chili Polish on its website. That would be your best bet.

11. RLeslieS

All of those are great choices. It just comes down to personal preference. Specifically for jeans, I myself would opt for the Rush Street (discontinued) or the McTavish.

12. 22busy

22busy Well-Known Member

PC pic of bourbon Carlyles[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. RLeslieS

Did you add darker polish on the toes or is that the burnishing out of the box?

14. 22busy

22busy Well-Known Member

I've been playing around with darkening the toes. I just used black wax on the toes and AE bourbon polish on the rest of the shoe. They don't come that way. I plan to remove some of that and tone it down.

15. redmusic1

redmusic1 Well-Known Member

Part of my background is in visual design as well, and I think you have some great points. On the other hand, one has to consider the overall point of the black PA. It is about formality with classic lines. And formality is much more about conformity than interest or preference. The purpose of the black PA is actually the opposite of interest in my opinion. It is supposed to blend in to the rest of the attire, creating strong masculine lines that ground a dark masculine suit. Black PA's are more about showing one's character than one's personality. They are more about showing respect for others and the event to which they are worn than individuality. A well dressed man in a dark suit and polished PA's always looks sharp, because it reveals a man of character with the humility and respect for tradition that allow him to confidently express his personality in the minute details of his attire (e.g. PS fold, tie knot, overall fit) and the person on his arm or at home.

Don't get me wrong, I love a walnut strand and my chili universities, and I don't even own a pair of black PA's. I don't own them because I find the FA's more versatile, but I can't deny that black PA's do their job extremely well.

3 people like this.
  16. angelescrest

Might I offer you a drink? This is a fine conversation. Indeed, good design has its philosophical foundations, and that is the kind of argument I can appreciate.

What's the most casual you will go with your FA?

1 person likes this.
  17. redmusic1

redmusic1 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't do less than med grey slacks and a button down myself. But you must realize that Saturday is typically the only day I wear less than traditional business casual, and even then I wear what most modern work environments accept as business casual. I wouldn't wear them with chinos, because I would never wear black oxfords with anything but slacks; but someone here may disagree with me on that.

18. flvinny521

flvinny521 Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or did AE change some of their pricing mid-sale? I could have sworn that Park Aves were $279 earlier today, but now that shoe is going for over $325.

19. sdfish

sdfish Member

Just you.

You're probably thinking of the 5th Avenue.

1 person likes this.
  20. Al Dente

Al Dente Well-Known Member

Dalton.

University is a great shoe, but looks a bit off with jeans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.