1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. droppp

droppp Member

Hi All, would like to seek your expertise regarding some queries of mine.. :slayer:

I currently have these shoes on rotation:

1. Black Plain Captoe Oxford
    2. Dark Brown Plain Captoe Oxford
    3. Burgandy Penny Loafers

I work in an environment where the standard attire would be more of a standard business getup consisting of dress shirt (plain), dress pants and dress shoes. So the above 3 pairs of shoes has somewhat worked for me thus far.

I am looking to acquire a pair of AE's, and i would like them to be able to be worn in a more business casual setting (think long sleeved button downs with patterns, chino trousers, shoes)

So far I have been looking at oxfords and derbies with some brouging, in particular the Strands model in either Walnut or Bourbon.

My questions are:

1. Would i be able to get away with wearing the Strands for my normal deskjob without it looking too out of place with my attire (shirt and pants)?

2. Which colour would be better suited for it? Right now i am leaning towards the Walnut.

3. I fit a Meermin UK8 in Hiro Last, but it is very snug and i doubt i can go even a half size lower. I also have wide feet. Should i get the Strands in US 9E, 9EE or 9EEE?

4. Any other AE model which might fit my requirement?

Thanks in advance and greatly appreciate any form of feedback! :D

2. Landau

Landau Well-Known Member

I am eyeing a pair of shell Leeds. I am in need of a Plain Toe for business/slightly formal events. I found one up on the second hand market for what seems to be a fairly good price, but I am fairly new at this.

Is this color of brown acceptable? They look similar to a cigar colored shell from Alden to my eyes, but I don't know much!

[​IMG]

3. 22busy

22busy Senior member

I did ask for opinions and I'm getting some great responses. Thanks for the replies.

I'll probably end up with the walnut Strands now because I don't think that itch is going to go away until I scratch it. Those shoes look so good I could go to work in my PJs and they would still look good.

I would like to come back later and get the brown cordovan Strands. Then I'll have both :)

4. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Yes, outlets can order 1st quality and sometimes keep them in store.
    Yes, the burgundy cordovan color fades to a light reddish brown through wear and exposure to sub. My guess is that those are quite well worn to have patina red that much. They should still yield many years of use though. How are the soles? Also, so many are posting their shell strands, I may as well post mine. :) [​IMG]

5. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next to walnut shell:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

John, Tom and Paul are awesome! All of my AE puchases have been from them. :slayer:

2 people like this.
  6. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Up to odd jacket & tie, yes. Suit: I probably wouldn't. Color is great. Nice shade of shell. Looks like truffle/capachino.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  7. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

@CMT1 those look great - I am very envious.

Lots of wonderful pics showing up - nice shoes gents!

1 person likes this.
  8. BKBridge

BKBridge Well-Known Member

1.) Absolutely, I've seen people pull off strands with jeans who look great.
    2.) Walnut is probably the most flashy color you can get on a standard AE shoe. If you want something that will blend in but still be a little different i recommend something in the darker/med brown family either the bourbon or my favorite, chili.
    3.) Everyone's foot is different, AE offers easy returns so just order a few if you can't get to a store to try on.I have slightly wider foot and the 5 last fits me very well in a 9D.
    4.) I would look at bluchers/derbies over oxfords if you're looking into more business causal wear. If you want a touch of broguing: Yorktown or Flatiron. If you want more broguing I would go with any of the long wings AE offers (Macneil, Mcgregor, or Larchmont). Given the current RDA sale, I would pickup a Mcgregor at a very steep discount.

9. BobStrauss

BobStrauss Senior member

My current shoe collection:

Strand in walnut
    Mcallister in bourbon
    Strand in brown suede
    Cronmok boots in brown

I work in a business casual environment and wear the Mcallisters and Cronmok boots 95% of the time. Think I need a legit, versatile wingtip to join the regular rotation.

McGregor? Thoughts on that? Because the 65 last fits me perfectly.

Brown? Oxblood? Chili?

Want something for work and also to wear out, even with jeans/cords.

10. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I really like the McTavish. Certainly leans the more "casual" side of biz casual, but fantastic with jeans.

11. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

almost certain these are burgundy shell that have developed patina over time. Are the insoles black or is that just shadows?

12. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Perhaps, but if the color is accurate, those are almost identical to my Truffle McGraws. In either case, a great color.

Shooting the four digit model number to Live Chat would eliminate all doubt. I'm curious myself now.

Better grab those; they appear to be in good shape.

13. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

I agree. Also, at some point AE had switched to black insoles, which from what I read, was not a popular choice.

14. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

My shell strands (pictured previously) have the black insole. I'm not sure what makes it inferior to the current natural colored one

15. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:Shame. I'd love a $25 Strand Messenger bag. [​IMG]

$147 for 2nds was as low as those got not to long ago. Still amazing at that price though.

16. droppp

droppp Member

Hey thanks BKBridge!

I decided to go with Strands in Walnut after all, most likely in US 8.5E as the general consensus that i get after reading through numerous posts is to size down 0.5 from AE, E width to get the Meermin hiro last sizing, or vice versa, to size up 0.5 to get the AE size in E width.

I decided on Walnut as i have and will be commissioning several more light colored (light grey/cream) dress pants and chinos. Hoping to achieve something like this once i receive the shoes! :slayer:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Happy Monday, fellas!
    [​IMG]

18. JR Magat

JR Magat Senior member

Nice choice! I love the walnut strand, and think it pairs great with light grey & navy trousers. I'm sure you'll be very happy with them

19. brchin

brchin Member

PSA: the Burlington coat factory on 23rd and 6th in Manhattan has the following:

Tan Suede mcgregor in 9D for $139.99
    Tannish kiowas in 9D for $89.99
    Black manchesters in 11D for $139.99
    Tan mcgregors in 11D for $139.99

20. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

AE switched to black insoles for a short time a few years ago. It was not well received, for some reason. They did it to try and look more high end, like European shoemakers, but their regular clients did not like the black insoles. Shortly thereafter they switched back to the natural colored insoles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.