• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience with the Malvern chukkas, particularly in dark brown? I've admired them for a while, and they're on sale for $127 in my size.

I already own a pair of dark brown Clark's desert boots, a pair of workboots with about five winters' worth of wear on them, and a pair of reddish brown wingtip boots. With what clothes, or to what occasions, could I wear Malverns that I can wear what I currently own? I work in a business-formal office, so I can't (or, at least, shouldn't) wear them to work. I remember reading a blog post from a few years ago (I think it was on PUT THIS ON) that said that dressy chukkas are among the most versatile shoes you can own, and that a pair of chukkas and a pair of sneakers will get you through almost any trip or vacation you might take.

If I don't end up buying the Malverns, I'll probably end up putting the money towards a nicer pair of workboots once my current ones finally bite the dust.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated!

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience with the Malvern chukkas, particularly in dark brown? I've admired them for a while, and they're on sale for $127 in my size.

I already own a pair of dark brown Clark's desert boots, a pair of workboots with about five winters' worth of wear on them, and a pair of reddish brown wingtip boots. With what clothes, or to what occasions, could I wear Malverns that I can wear what I currently own? I work in a business-formal office, so I can't (or, at least, shouldn't) wear them to work. I remember reading a blog post from a few years ago (I think it was on PUT THIS ON) that said that dressy chukkas are among the most versatile shoes you can own, and that a pair of chukkas and a pair of sneakers will get you through almost any trip or vacation you might take.

If I don't end up buying the Malverns, I'll probably end up putting the money towards a nicer pair of workboots once my current ones finally bite the dust.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated!
While I do not read blogs I do know what works for me, and common sense. I agree that dressy chukkas fit more situations than most any other shoe\boot and have 5 Dundees because of that.

I do have experience with the Malvern and gave up on them. They are on the 1 last and in the 1 last I own 5 shell Dundee's, 2 shell 1 calf Leeds, shell Towney, 2 Wilbert's, shell Dalton, older CG Shelton, and CXL, calf, shell Bayfields. They all fit my foot extremely well. The Malvern does not fit my foot at all and it is because they used memory foam in the footbed which takes up volume. The Bayfield uses poron which also gave me some fit issues but much less. After 2 years AE purchased my CXL and calf Bayfields back from me and I replaced them with a half size larger than my standard size. They sent me a wider size and also a longer size, had way too much heel slip in the wider width. You really need to try the Malvern on first and wear them as long as you can before you purchase them IMO. Despite SF Kool Aid black and burgundy work better for suits than anything else IME. Dark brown works too but it depends on what you own and plan to wear them with. Fit is #1 to me. From what you listed above that you own I would hold off and see if the new chukka coming out for the RDA sale might be a chukka that is more versatile. Of course depends if it fits you or not too.

I wore Vasque Sundowners for many years outside of work for everything, around the world, I would not do so today. If those Chukkas above fit when they come out I would consider them in a heartbeat. But if the Malvern fits you and fits well I would find it hard to pass. You might have to try other sizes outside your normal size. That can lead to excessive creasing which I am not really fond of but that is a personal view.

Last edited:

Patek14

Reaction score
My new shoes, Drydens for $106 with trees! NIB:

It was definetly a great snag

To show how well some of these AEs hold up, here are 6 year old Wendells (I know, icky style). This is 6 years of 2-3x/wk work wear

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
Many thanks, Cold Iron!

In most pairs of Allen Edmonds, a size 14 is a little too small (they always pinch on my small toes) and a 15 is slightly too large. Most of my pairs are 15s, and I just deal with the length issue, which really only bothers me if I'm wearing a pair without socks, or with particularly thin socks. I wonder whether, if the memory foam takes up space, if they make the 15s closer to my true size? It's worth a shot, I suppose, especially since there's an AE store near my office so returning them shouldn't be a hassle.

In terms of the look, though, you think that the Malvern is pretty versatile? Also, what is the "RDA" sale that you mentioned?
While I do not read blogs I do know what works for me, and common sense. I agree that dressy chukkas fit more situations than most any other shoe\boot and have 5 Dundees because of that.

I do have experience with the Malvern and gave up on them. They are on the 1 last and in the 1 last I own 5 shell Dundee's, 2 shell 1 calf Leeds, shell Towney, 2 Wilbert's, shell Dalton, older CG Shelton, and CXL, calf, shell Bayfields. They all fit my foot extremely well. The Malvern does not fit my foot at all and it is because they used memory foam in the footbed which takes up volume. The Bayfield uses poron which also gave me some fit issues but much less. After 2 years AE purchased my CXL and calf Bayfields back from me and I replaced them with a half size larger than my standard size. They sent me a wider size and also a longer size, had way too much heel slip in the wider width. You really need to try the Malvern on first and wear them as long as you can before you purchase them IMO. Despite SF Kool Aid black and burgundy work better for suits than anything else IME. Dark brown works too but it depends on what you own and plan to wear them with. Fit is #1 to me. From what you listed above that you own I would hold off and see if the new chukka coming out for the RDA sale might be a chukka that is more versatile. Of course depends if it fits you or not too.

I wore Vasque Sundowners for many years outside of work for everything, around the world, I would not do so today. If those Chukkas above fit when they come out I would consider them in a heartbeat. But if the Malvern fits you and fits well I would find it hard to pass. You might have to try other sizes outside your normal size. That can lead to excessive creasing which I am not really fond of but that is a personal view.

rostov

Reaction score
I've never had one refused. It makes recrafting a great bargain, especially, the $50 refresh.

They come with the $50 refresh, too? Any chance it might be done with the heels? I have a pair of Ashburys I wasn't going to bother reheeling or resoling, but for $15, well, I might.

rostov

Reaction score
Many thanks, Cold Iron!

In most pairs of Allen Edmonds, a size 14 is a little too small (they always pinch on my small toes) and a 15 is slightly too large. Most of my pairs are 15s, and I just deal with the length issue, which really only bothers me if I'm wearing a pair without socks, or with particularly thin socks. I wonder whether, if the memory foam takes up space, if they make the 15s closer to my true size? It's worth a shot, I suppose, especially since there's an AE store near my office so returning them shouldn't be a hassle.

In terms of the look, though, you think that the Malvern is pretty versatile? Also, what is the "RDA" sale that you mentioned?

RDA = Rediscover America. It generally runs the last week of September into the first week of October.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To show how well some of these AEs hold up, here are 6 year old Wendells (I know, icky style). This is 6 years of 2-3x/wk work wear
[/quote]

I love my Wendells!

rostov

Reaction score
That was back in April or May, and they were firsts. But if you somehow got those for 67, you're a lucky dude, because they were flawless!
Paul G said (in the MTO thread) that it was a new analine pull-up from Horween. No further details.

Considering these seconds have been up for about as long on the shoe bank, it's very possible! I'm due for some luck with AE.

I'm still currently awaiting order confirmation for the Amoks. I also ordered cognac Ridgeway seconds for $127)and the walnut Shreveport at $162 for firsts, provided my $35 coupon from my recent recraft.

Last edited:

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If any body else is interested in joining an Allen Edmonds Group MTO please feel free to hop over to the Allen Edmonds MTO Thread. There is currently an ongoing survey on what shoe will be MTO'd. The survey could be found here.

Nik Telford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My new shoes, Drydens for $106 with trees! NIB:

It was definetly a great snag

What is going on with the sole on that shoe?

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
was this offered in Grain originally or just added? I think this laced in a traditional manner would look better.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They come with the $50 refresh, too? Any chance it might be done with the heels? I have a pair of Ashburys I wasn't going to bother reheeling or resoling, but for $15, well, I might.

I sent my RL Sanderson by ae for heels. They wouldn't do them when they got to the factory, but they sent them back with a $35 gift card. Not sure if that was intentional or not.

Billyboy316

Reaction score
I am a 9 1/2 EEE in most lasts. I have a few pairs in 10 EEE too, however they are oxfords, not slip ons. My slip ons are 9 1/2. Thought these would fit. They are too big. My heel comes up when I walk. Wish they had a 9 1/2 in this shoe. Unfortunately, this is the last pair left.
If I return them to the Allen Edmonds Outlet, they will give me a full refund, however will raise the price of my other pair by $60 (adjust the 2 for $299 sale price to full price). They will sell these for $279.
The other pair I am keeping is the Rutledge in 9 1/2 eee which fits fine.

Billyboy316

Reaction score

Saw these on eBay, and they are my size.  Certainly tempting...

Can you explain how they were too big for you?  I only ask because I am usually a 10 EEE in every AE last, except had a bit of an issue in the Patriot (too low of an instep on that shoe)...

Just curious if these would fit the same as most others.

I should have bought these in 9 1/2 EEE like my other slip ons. Thought 10eee would fit. They are too big ( my heel lifts when I tried them on). Unfortunately, they do not have these in 9 1/2eee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads