1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dress As If

Dress As If Member

I'm very satisfied with the fit given that I'm a 3E. :)

2. Dress As If

Dress As If Member

Pepper, can you opine on dainite soles generally? I'm failing to see what advantage they would offer over the V Thread.

3. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Dainite has less grip initially, especially on slippery, wet, or icy ground. However, once you scuff up the Dainite a bit, it tends to work decently well.

V-tread has more initial grip but wears down slightly faster than Dainite, and still has an exposed section of leather between the v-tread rubber and the heel, which might lead to faster internal wear due to the moisture penetration.

I would not trek through the snow or ice in either, but if you're just walking from your car to the office, or from your home to the subway, you will likely be fine in Dainite. Just walk carefully.

1 person likes this.
  4. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

I think the amount of bowing is acceptable. I just feel that the vgap is too wide for a balmoral. If laced properly, meaning closed or at least close enough, I don't think these would feel comfortable at all. There would just be too much pressure on the instep.

I have a very high instep and I've basically given up on a 65 lasted balmoral.

Just sharing my thoughts as someone who tried to make the 65 work but eventually decided to move on to other makers with lasts with higher insteps.

1 person likes this.
  5. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  6. StylinProfilin

StylinProfilin Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, which makers do you buy your shoes from that accommodate high insteps?

7. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Ok so I am probably going to order a briefcase during this sale. Outlets have no seconds for the ones I want, but they can obtain firsts at the current prices listed on the AE website.

I live in a state with no AE outlets (but one AE retail store). When I've ordered shoes from them in the past (seconds from the outlet), there has been no tax. If I order a "first" quality briefcase from the outlet, would that be taxed or no? It's a fairly significant (~$25) difference.

8. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

You shouldn't have to pay the tax ordering from the outlet or store I would think, only if you picked it up from the retail store in person.

9. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

For AE the 222 and 333 work way better for me in terms of high arch issues.

I can't generalize to other makers...but boots always seem to work no matter what.

10. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

This is me. My right shoe typically gets a little bowing, but I can not wear a C width in the 65. The 333 last, on the other hand, seems to do just fine. Problem is, I love the look of the 65, and since I don't get heel slippage, I'm gonna wear them. However, I don't have a significantly high instep to deal with either.

11. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

I find that Dainite and similar soles are fine for the first part of the winter, but once the snow really starts to fall (which wasn't until January this past winter), the snow and slush is a little too deep for Dainite, and you risk getting salt stains on your uppers. On those days, I either wear winter boots and carry my dress shoes to work, or else I wear older pairs of Johnston & Murphy "Hardings" which I bought on Amazon before I started to buy higher-quality shoes.

12. BespokeBrooklyn

13. BespokeBrooklyn

Open question for you guys:

I'm taking a couple of vacation trips to the Pacific Northwest this fall, and I have been in the market for a pair of shoes versatile enough to be the only pair of proper shoes I pack on the trip. I won't need to dress formally, but I plan on staying in decent hotels and treating myself to a couple of meals at fancy restaurants. After looking at a few different options, I narrowed things down to thick-soled longwings like Allen Edmonds's MacNeil, and to a pebble grain chukka. Once Allen Edmonds introduced the MacNeil 2.0, they reduced the 1.0s to $197, so I bought a pair in brown. They look great, but I think they might be a little dressy to wear walking around Portland and Denver for a weekend in jeans and a waxed cotton jacket. $197 is a great price for them, though, especially compared to $385 for Dundee firsts (the only Dundees available at the time).

But, during the current sale, pebble grain Dundee seconds are $219, at which price they are appealing enough for me to consider returning the MacNeils and buying them instead.

Which do you think would be better-suited for these purposes? I obviously wouldn't wear my Dundees in seriously bad weather, but I think that, with their Dainite sole and pebble grain, they may be better-suited for the sort of drizzle I am likely to encounter in the northwest in the fall.

For what its worth, this is the rest of my shoe collection:

Brown Madison Avenues
    Merlot Chester shortwings
    Black cap-toe oxfords
    Black Cliftons
    Brown McGraw penny loafers
    Bitter Chocolate Fifth Avenues
    Chili Daltons

Others shoes:
    brown suede Clark's desert boots
    black and brown beaten-up Johnston & Murphy bluchers (mainly for bad weather, etc).

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

14. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

Very good points. Just to add my personal opinion, I don't mess around and try to look sharp walking down the street in ice and slush when it's freezing and snowing. What worked really well for for the really crappy months during the last winter was a pair of 6 inch Chippawa boots that I got from Amazon for $125. I would cover them with Obenauf LP every 2-3 weeks, wear thick wool socks, and my feet were always warm and dry. Take care of your feet and health!

15. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

I thought the scratches may come out with a deer bone. If you're talking about the dark spots, that's just patina/depth. Shell will look like that after a few years. To me, it's like looking into the Milky Way galaxy [​IMG] kinda translucent/mesmerizing.

16. shoenoobie

shoenoobie Well-Known Member

Them Park Avenues are killers...

Is the bottom one Burgundy? Kinda looks like burgundy but much... nicer (?) than other burgundies I have seen. Did you use special polish/cream/wax?

17. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

Not burgundy. Those are the dark chili burnished. I use the dark chili shoe cream as base and kiwi brown wax on the toe. The color is just that nice when light hits them. They aren't quite dark enough for me to wear with a charcoal or navy suit (though it wouldn't look bad, just a little to forward for my taste), but they absolutely rock with charcoal trousers and a dark odd coat.

1 person likes this.
  18. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

I think you are leaning the right way. Brown pebble grain with Dainte would seem to be a good "one shoe" given you plan to also wear them at a couple of "fancy" restaurants.

BTW, on the website for the Dundee 2.0, for the non-suede entries the "Overview" section says the sole is "double butyl" but the "details" section says Dainte. The pics, however, seem consistent with the claim of Dainte.

On the other hand, the suede versions seem to be double butyl. I guess their thinking is that is weather is such you need Dainte, you won't be wearing suede.

Speaking of which, has anyone bought the Dundee 2.0 with the Repello suede from Stead tannery? With the double sole and split welt, how far up the "dressiness" scale will you be taking it? There are some real ballers over on the HOF thread who wear suede chukkas with all manner of coat and tie, even suits, but those seem invariably to be flat welted, single sole boots.

1 person likes this.
  19. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Carmina's Rain, Robert and Detroit all work for my instep.

EB lasts also accommodates high insteps. I only have the 946 last but that also works.

20. SimplyStylin

SimplyStylin Senior member

Mine are still on the way, but after trying them on in store to choose a color (they didn't have my width there) and owning the brown leather version I'm pretty sure what I'll be wearing them with... Mostly jeans, chinos, and occasional wool trousers with heavier fabric button up shirts and sweaters. I don't wear too many sportcoats//blazers, but I'm sure they will work just fine with heavy wool or flannel. Of course you could find sleeker, more fitting suit shoes, but they aren't the clunkiest either IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.