1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flvinny521

flvinny521 Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I always feel bad about going in with the knowledge that I'll not be making a purchase. It can certainly take a long time to narrow down fits on multiple lasts. I suppose as long as I'm not taking away a sale by "deflecting" other clients who will buy, I'm not doing any harm.

2. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

You are not obligated to buy something every time you walk into a store. We all want good SAs to be rewarded for good service, but it is their job to close the deal with you, after all.

3. drlivingston

drlivingston Well-Known Member

As someone who has spent many hours sliding shoes on and off of countless female clientele's feet, I can assure you that, as long as you are polite AND PATIENT, you will not annoy the sales associate. When I sold shoes, they were far from investment-grade footwear (Macy's). However, I understood that everyone has unique feet. Long, short, wide, narrow, high arches, flat foot, etc.etc. Never feel bad about trying on multiple pairs even if you do not intend to purchase anything at that particular time. The vast majority of shoe salespersons would rather you make an educated decision rather than buying and eventually returning several pairs of ill-fitting shoes.

4. flvinny521

Thanks for your reassurance. I'll make another trip in the next week or so. Now for a more important question, if you had to pick one black conservative dress shoe from AE, would it be the Park Ave or Fifth Ave? I'm leaning towards Park Ave since it could better be used for funerals and the like, as well as with suits for work. The broguing on the Fifth makes it slightly less appropriate, right?

5. redmusic1

redmusic1 Well-Known Member

Yes, but in black, I personally still wear the FA for funerals and weddings. In black, the broguing is not as prevalent and still looks very conservative in my opinion. Certainly the PA is more conservative, and if funerals and weddings are all you will use them for, by all means get the PA.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Well-Known Member

I have only two words to describe those: day yam. Great snag.

1 person likes this.
  7. flvinny521

Honestly, I will probably very rarely need them for those occasions. Ninety-nine percent of the time I'll simply alternate them with the brown AE Drydens I have to wear with a suit to work. It just seemed like I should account for those events if I were going to only have one black dress shoe for the immediate future. You're right, though, that the broguing certainly doesn't seem offensive in black, and I doubt that the people I'd be spending time with at those events would even notice the difference.

1 person likes this.
  8. redmusic1

Where I live, which is the most affluent town in the Mississippi delta (not so affluent), I'm usually one of the few people outside the family who is wearing a suit at a funeral, and usually the only one who has anything close to a polished shoe at any event. All that to say, it does depend somewhat on who you will be around. But I personally find the black FA to be one of the most versatile shoes I own. I only have one other pair of black shoes, a goodyear welted J&M that is somewhat distressed, but rarely ever worn; and 9 times out of 10 I could wear the FA with better success when I do.

9. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Well-Known Member

There are a couple of pairs of 6.5s at the Burlington Coat Factor near my house. Do you ever look at that store to see if any turn up in your size?

1 person likes this.
  10. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Well-Known Member

Is anybody in this thread in the market for a pair of new, size 9 McGraws or size 10 Lubbocks, both in tan? The Burlington Coat Factory near my house has them both for $100 and I would be happy to proxy them for anybody who's interested.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  11. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

Question for anyone that either owns or is looking at the Normandy & Overlord - how do you plan on wearing these? Weekend with jeans only? Is there anyway to get these to work with something like khakis for a really dressed down business casual? I'm seriously considering the Normandy with the RDA discount (too good to pass up) but I don't want something I'll wear for 4 weekends a year.

12. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Well-Known Member

So how are things in Clarksdale?[​IMG]

I agree a black punch cap has little practical difference from a stitchcap. You can swap them out 98% of the time and on the other occasions 98% of folks wouldn't notice.

And like you, at most of the funerals I attend, the best dressed gentleman present is the dear departed.

1 person likes this.
  13. redmusic1

Close. I was employed in Clarksdale for a few years. However, Clarksdale, though I saw it in a list of best small towns in the U.S. not long ago, is no where near as affluent as where I'm from (and I have no idea why it was on that list). We have a university, which used to be one of the nations best teacher's colleges (which has completely deteriorated over the last decade and half), so hence the affluence.

14. jcman311

jcman311 Well-Known Member

I just dont think the Normandy would work with khakis/chinos. They would grab too much attention looking out of place. If you are something like I.T. or can get away with jeans at work they *might* work but otherwise I would relegate them to weekend duty. They really do look like aged boots from WW2. I gotta hand it to AE in that department.
    I only had a real quick look at them in real life and my eye was quickly drawn away by some walnut First Aves that are way more business appropriate but could work with jeans as well. I am a boot guy so I always like looking at the boots but the Normandy wouldnt be for me.
    My 2 cents.

15. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Wasn't Standard Issue combat clothing either wool or twill depending on theater/weather? They should be fine for casual trouser wear, especially cargo pants. ;)

Just be sure to bunch up your trousers and tuck the pant legs into the boot shaft!

1 person likes this.
  16. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Well-Known Member

Or joggers lol

17. Dress As If

Dress As If Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

The odenwalds would work better

19. cc808314

cc808314 Well-Known Member

Thinking of pulling the trigger for a pair of dark chili Daltons. Can someone post pictures out in the wild? How do they look with denim? Lastly, are they darker than chili LaSalle's/Del Rays?

I am a big fan of the chili color. Already have pair of Byrons and LaSalles, so trying to decide whether I can use another pair in that color.

Thank you in advance

20. jcman311

jcman311 Well-Known Member

Yes an no. The issued boots with the uniform would have been polished black and in better shape. These are "aged".
    I just think these are ones to see before you buy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.