1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

No - if you want a topy and will wear the shoe more because of it - Topy away

2. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Did you get the 8.5e in buy and sell? Those looked immaculate.

3. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Wherefrom?

4. Nick V.

Nick V. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Good question......
    Quite frankly, I can never understand why customers would have a sole guard installed over a JR sole. I try to talk them out of it. After-all you are paying a premium for JR leather which is the longest wearing leather.
    Why not take advantage of that? Save your money for now. When the JR's eventually wear out have your soles replaced with a lessor grade leather (less expensive). Then have the sole guards applied.
    In my mind that's the best way to maximize your investment and get the best performance.

2 people like this.
  5. rostov

rostov Senior member

Thank you Nick! Great to see you in this thread.

Would you say the same if the shoes were double-blake stitched as well? My impression is that such shoes might be more dangerous to resole, but perhaps I'm incorrect? (Some AE shoes such as the Kenwood are double-blake stitched)

6. shoelover

shoelover Senior member

[​IMG]

Picked these up really cheap. Thoughts?

1 person likes this.
  7. nbj08

nbj08 Senior member

I could only only think of wearing them once per year, but on that day I would wear them proud.

8. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

Interesting. I am trying to remember if I have that pair. I have St. Louis Cardinals spectators, Cincinnati Bengals (Halloween) spectators, a couple of weird Neumok spectators... now I have to go digging. Sigh...

9. nbj08

nbj08 Senior member

Any cool spectators (or shoes in general) in 10.5D? [​IMG]

10. Nick V.

Nick V. Senior member Dubiously Honored

The Kenwood is Blake-rapid stitched. I wasn't writing about construction. Any credible repair shop could resole a Blake-rapid shoe. I was addressing the quality of the leather sole. It's rare that you see a manufacturer using JR leather on a Blake-rapid constructed shoe.

My point was.....If you are paying a premium for the highest grade leather why not let it preform for you? Then, resole with a less expensive sole and a sole guard. This way you get optimum value and performance out of a shoe that will last many years if you maintain the uppers.

11. shoenoobie

shoenoobie Well-Known Member

Quick question veterans...

If I buy bourbon color Carlyle, would a good cobbler be able to make it completely black? Like as if it was color black to begin with... Got a good deal for a bourbon and want to see if I could make it into a black one, which is actual color I need.

12. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

It's so easy, I'd do it myself.
    But if you have no experience with this kind of thing, take it to a cobbler.

13. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

Very easy since the welt is black on the bourbon. Wipe down shoe with acetone, twice if needed, then use Fiebings leather dye.

But, since bourbon is suck a nice color why would you want to do this?

14. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

I hope it's not in bad taste to request information about other shoemakers in an Allen Edmonds thread, but I'm going to do it anyway.

I had struggled to find the correct sizing for AE shoes until I finally visited a newly opened retail location. It turns out that because of my flat arches, I need a 9E shoe (at least on the 65 last). In the past, I would order 10D or 10 1/2D, which resulted in a shoe that fit, but ended up being much too long. Can anybody else who wears an E width in that last comment on what other brands/sizes work for them as well?

I do like AE shoes, and may buy more in the future, but I would like to know my other options as well. I don't want to have to avoid all second-hand shoes because I'm unsure of how the size will translate to my foot.

15. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

AE utilizes at least 17 lasts in their construction of various models of footwear. Each last fits a little different. You need to spend some time at a store (with a very patient sales associate) and determine how each last fits your foot. You will be surprised at the difference. Back in the day, a Brannock device was all that was necessary to gauge size. However, it did not take into account the unique contours of different people's feet. Armed with this information, you can easily purchase second-hand shoes confident of a consistent fit.

16. tb43

tb43 Senior member

I actually got a pair in 9e off ebay. Better fit for me and 150 bucks less!

17. tb43

tb43 Senior member

18. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Alden makes a wide variety of shoes suitable for orthopedic needs.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  19. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

My intention is really to be able to buy second-hand shoes in various brands, as opposed to looking at AEs exclusively. While this would certainly give me a grasp of all the possibilities that AE could offer, I imagine it would be a little annoying if I had to message a seller with my list of AE fits and ask if they thought their sizing would work based on that.

20. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

But if all you have is one good fit from AE, we can't really help all that much. The point is that every last fits a good bit differently, and only certain AE lasts can be translated to very particular lasts of other manufacturers. With only one last to go on, you're asking a good deal. And in the end, if you want to assure a good fit, you need to put it on, which may include several exchanges if you can't get to a store of the maker you're considering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.