1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

Thanks, donkeyhoatie. Those are some great-looking shoes!

2. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Yes, those are the Normandy boots. I didn't try them on so I cannot give any input on sizing, fit, etc. I really liked the leather - very soft and a nice grain. However, I wasn't a big fan of the distressing. It appears as if they some sandpaper over some spots to give it a distressed look, but it seemed artificial to me. And I think the leather had enough character, grain, crease, and color variation on its own and did not need additional man made distressing. Also the distressing on the sole edge / welt didn't work for me.

That was my personal take. But a little about me - I like my shoes shined and the sole edges dressed. If I bought these boots, I would immediately feel I needed to polish them and clean up the sole edges. That's why I went with the Dundee - I liked the more "polished" look. I am not a big fan of jeans that are pre-torn, bleached, frayed, etc. I have yard work jeans that look like that on their own. I don't want to pay that kind of money for jeans that look like the ones I have worn for 10+ years. So take my above comments in that context.

Overall, I liked the shape of the boot, the leather, and the softness of the unlined leather. But it was a bit too distressed for my personal taste.

Chris

1 person likes this.
  3. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

Thanks for taking the time to post this. Yep, I'm gonna have to buy me a pair.

4. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

A couple of better shots to the brown grain Dundee 2.0
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chris

1 person likes this.
  5. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

AE hit the jackpot with the Cornwallis. The balance they struck between simplicity and adornment is something special.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  6. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior member

Keep in mind that the picture was taken in bright sunlight right around noon. I don't think my iPhone camera really captured the right look of them. IRL, they look much less cherry red and a lot more burgundy colored.

I know it's strange and kind of hackneyed to say, but I really do feel like a million bucks when I have these things on. Definitely my favorite pair of AEs. At least until I put on the Cognac Dublin Leather McTavish. Or the CXL Longbranch. Or the gray Black Hills. Or the Black Park Avenues. Or the Tan Saddle Leather Gobis. Or the . . . well, you get the picture. Pretty much any pair I own, outside of the Darmstadt, which is the only pair I own that I really don't like. Was looking for a casual shoe for weekends, but there's an eyelet and lace portion that hits a bone on top of my right foot wrong and it takes me forever to find a comfortable lacing position. Plus, it looks like a low-top pair of construction boots, but without the benefit of steel toe.

Back on track, go for the Oxblood Strands. This old, married guy has received more compliments from young, hot chicks on these shoes than any others I own. By a mile.

7. aero25

aero25 Senior member

I agree with you on shine over distressed every single time when it comes to work wear. I was interested in those for wearing with jeans and t-shirts on weekends while getting burgers with the kids.

I'll have to make a run to the other side of town and see them in the AE store for myself, given the description you have of the distressing. I'm still interested, but more cautiously so. Thanks a lot for your input!

8. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

[​IMG]
    Walnut Wednesday, Flatiron.

1 person likes this.
  9. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

I was thinking the same as you, more of a casual boot but in my eyes they just look plain sloppy. Id rather have a nicer shoe/boot in a more casual color (walnut, natty, bourbon) than those things. Plus, they look huge. I guess it didnt help that they were close to the nice sleek First Ave. Just my opinion though, I still urge you to go have a look yourself.

10. glam922

glam922 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice. I Sent an email yesterday and they answered this morning!

Dear Mr. Glam922:

Thank you for your inquiry.

I found out that the 5795 is the Fifth Avenue in the Merlot Calf Skin. By the pictures, it looks like possibly some darker polish was used over time, but I would recommend using the conditioner cleaner and our Merlot Premium Polish. That should keep it as close to the original color as possible and also give it a nice new shine. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Have a great day,
    J. B.
    Now I know :D

11. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

The B34 is a perfect casual mans man last. The normandy suffers from stupid ae finishing. Ask to see all boots in your size and pick the one that has the least sandpaper finish.

12. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

You guys are tough! I thought the Normandy (in person) was one of the best things I've ever seen from AE. Unfortunately, I'm in business formal or business casual 5 days a week, so I just can't justify something that will get worn only on weekends, and probably only during the Fall season. But if you can get more usage out of these, I'd totally go for 'em.

13. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Yeah...true but I have waited for a long time for some cool different leathers from AE and to take sandpaper to kudu...that ain't right. this is on the heels of all that beautiful horween cxl used on the 555 lasted shoes that don't fit me and the CF Stead suedes that I can't MTO....I have a lot of anger.....lol

14. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

15. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Brown Grain Dundees after I got them home and polished them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chris

4 people like this.
  16. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

Thank you both!

17. BchBum11511

BchBum11511 Member

I've been looking for a chukka/boot for fall/winter. I've been eyeing the Long Branch in dark brown or the J&M Copeland in tan. When I was on shoebank, I noticed they have a snuff suede Gobi for <$100 in my size. How will these hold up in the occasional rain/snow (if I don't decide to wear something different)? Worth it for $100?

It would be mostly for casual wear with jeans. I don't see myself wearing them to work.

18. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@BchBum11511 I just got the tan saddle (leather) version myself. Wore them in some light rain - they'll need some polish at some point but they did ok. No way id wear them in the snow though...not to mention the fact that they are also super lightweight for boots and you would be freezing.

19. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

In case anyone's interested, the RDA prices are live. Shoebank looks like 20% less, excluding the clearance stuff (meaning shoebank is more than retail in some cases.)

20. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Nice pooch

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.