1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JR Magat

JR Magat Senior member

That's me......... [​IMG]

It is a great makeup, I just got too many shoes/boots, so gotta make some tough calls. If it's someone else's grail, then its better on their feet then on my shoe rack :)

2. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

------------------

Wow! Those are outstanding looking shoes!

1 person likes this.
  3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

My PC pic for today was sadly posted in another maker's thread, but as it contains shell cordovan, I suppose it's tangentially on-topic to current discussion here :p

WARNING!! Non-AE content!!

[​IMG]

Regarding cordovan, damn straight it's addictive, but I would posit that this forum is full of pushers! When I first joined this thread no WAY would I have spent the bread on
    Shell. Fast forward 3 years and I now own 6 pairs. FML.

3 people like this.
  4. Brown Dynamite

Brown Dynamite Senior member

Come to think of it, my Snuff Suede Gobis look the same as you describe and these look closer to my Olive Amoks too. Not sure about Sand Suede being slimming, but you sir, are a genius.

1 person likes this.
  5. Brown Dynamite

Brown Dynamite Senior member

I need me some PTBs PC!

6. misterellington

misterellington Senior member

They have IMMEDIATELY moved to the front line of the army. Been wanting a pair of Franciscans SOOOOOOO much, and I wanted a sleek burgundy shoe to spell a lovely pair of Italian buckle loafers I got close to twenty years ago. I GOT BOTH in this Merlot Franciscan. Hell, they're not even offering this color anymore.

I'm a happy man. :)

7. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

+1 vote for using FML in a shoe thread! :rotflmao:

I'm still only on one pair of shell, and bought 'em early to see what the big deal was. No addiction yet, but I do highly covet a dark brown shell Strand. Maybe on the next trunk show.

1 person likes this.
  8. misterellington

Shell. Mercy. Can't afford it...but I lucked into a pair—NON-AE, but another "come-up" at BCF. Whoever the store's buyer was made a huge, Bluthian mistake.
    Florsheim Imperial Kenmoors. List price $575.00. Guess they assumed it was calf...

Again, Non-AE, so be forewarned. "Scotch" Shell Longwing Gunboats...dig the pricing screwup.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. nbj08

nbj08 Senior member

Wow. Great score! I guess I know where I'll be headed tomorrow...

10. misterellington

They're terrible places to shop. So much awfulness to dig through. :( But if you have a good eye, good things can jump out at you. AEs stand out amongst the dross. And it depends on where you go. If you're in the northeast/Atlantic region, your odds are good you'll find something as I do here in NYC and as Neo1 spotted for me in the Braintree MA BCF.

YMMV.

11. nbj08

nbj08 Senior member

I reckon, being in central North Carolina, my odds are quite poor...

1 person likes this.
  12. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

BCF=Burlington Coat Factory?

1 person likes this.
  13. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Fall officially starts Wednesday. Even though it is 90+ here still, I know boot weather is not far away. So with that in mind I am posting my boots to get ready! My local menswear / shoe store has some brown grain Dundees coming in, they might find their way to my closet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chris

3 people like this.
  14. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

As long as you aren't an 11.5 D, we can go hunting together tomorrow... :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    2 people like this.
  15. nbj08

nbj08 Senior member

10.5 D here, so we're all square.

1 person likes this.
  16. shoenoobie

shoenoobie Well-Known Member

Are there any discounts or promotions for shoeback seconds? Thanks.

17. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

You're missing the point -- though I appreciate the videos. I've seen them before, but for some reason shoemaking is one of the handcrafts I really like to watch!

The point is, a goodyear welt is a goodyear welt. It doesn't matter whether it's mechanized or not. Calling something "handwelted" and not saying what kind of welt is used is like calling a car "hand painted" and not bothering to describe what color.

To continue to play the devil's advocate here, the strength and quality of a goodyear welt is such that many hand makers still employ the welt even if they are hand stitching the shoe. At that point, you're really only worrying about cosmetic issues... like hiding the stitching way under the edge, or doing one of the many fancy stitching patterns that I've seen like the braids or... I don't know what to call them all. But I've seen several different styles in videos where they are still attaching a sole via -- you guessed it, a goodyear welt.

Also, if you're talking about bespoke shoes costing thousands of dollars on the AE Appreciation forum, you're comparing toyotas and ferraris.

18. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

OK, you win the shopping for bargains game.

Geez, I'd have bought that even if it wasn't my size to flip on ebay! Good eye.

1 person likes this.
  19. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

Yes

1 person likes this.
  20. misterellington

Every one of those is straight HOTNESS. And I LOVE that color combo on the lug-soled Cascades. I have a black pair, and I've seen the black/brown two-tone, but that tan and sienna.? Loveliness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.