• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeviMay

Reaction score
Very cool article, Kahuna. Thanks.

It makes me even more excited for the Golden Brown CXL Leeds I have on the way!

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else ever experienced difficulty ordering through the ShoeBank site? Waaay back on the first day of the 2 for $299 sale, I requested two pairs from the Port Washington store, and a few days later added a third. A week went by with no response from the store, so I emailed the store (politely of course) explaining the situation. They responded this time -- though no apology or explanation, which kind of annoyed me -- and said that one of the shoes I requested wasn't available -- which also kind of annoyed me, seeing as it had been when I placed the order/request. So I emailed back asking if I could now substitute another shoe, which to this minute still appears on their site in my size, and was told that also wasn't available, and that the inventory doesn't always match the website.

Through it all, I've found the service terrible -- not just the failure to respond to my order and the frustration of not being able to get the shoes, but also that it takes them about three days to respond to the simplest email query and they seem totally uninterested in making the sale. It's now been two weeks since I placed the request and they've not once asked whether I want the two pairs shipped that were (are still?) available and they've never offered to do anything about the mix-up on the third. Every email they send is a one-sentence response that gives the impression they view my attempt to purchase from them as an annoyance.

I know that the last time I was ordering seconds there were items that were on the shoebank web site that were not actually available when I called in. The sales associate I spoke to told me that some of the stock may be part of tent sales at the different stores where they don't always update the inventory if they're sold...or something like that. I've always found most of the stores a little slow to get back to you on email, so it's usually better to actually speak to someone on the phone when trying to order.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is overdue, but somebody a few pages back wanted me to take pictures of the 5 & 8 last side by side. Here are a few photos that show my 11.5E Park Ave next to a 12D Carlyle. I think they represent pretty well the differences in the lasts. Albeit subtle, they make a huge difference when you wear them.

IMO, this last one highlights it the best.

Eric Pease

Reaction score
When is the next sale? Labor day?
"From August 21st through September 1, savings of 15-35% off ALL factory-second shoes. Plus, save on discontinued belts and other select accessories. Limited to on-hand inventory only. See what is available in your size at www.shoebank.com

Factory Seconds Shoe (2nds MSRP) Sale Price:
Mora 2.0 Black or Bourbon ($299) sale $189
Neumok Brown ($219) sale $149
Grayson Black ($299) sale $199
Patriot Black or Brown ($299) sale $189
Kiowa Brown Distressed or Brown Grain ($234) sale $179
Vernon Black ($299) sale $199"

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is overdue, but somebody a few pages back wanted me to take pictures of the 5 & 8 last side by side. Here are a few photos that show my 11.5E Park Ave next to a 12D Carlyle. I think they represent pretty well the differences in the lasts. Albeit subtle, they make a huge difference when you wear them.

Wow. From that angle, the PA gives a lot of ammunition to those who call AEs "blobby."

indigoroots

Reaction score

I think that was me. Time to start swapping out for the 8 last haha!

Edit: unfortunately it looks like the Caryle is the only good looking model in that last

Last edited:

indigoroots

Reaction score
The Mora 2's look good initially but I don't think I can deal with the captoe crease issues that seems to be inherent with the model.

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bobs Chili really is pretty sweet. Was about ready to get these Franciscans today.

yhena5u4.jpg

Got home and was deciding which brown I liked better. So threw black in for a baseline.

ebu6urer.jpg

Also some walnut shell in the afternoon sun.

y6upe5y6.jpg

Mean Mr Mustard

Reaction score
JubeiSpiegel, thanks for the picture of the new Bob's Chili. (Though are we really going to have to call it that?!) The color looks very nice. Would you say it's basically a burgundy? For anyone else who's seen the color in person, please chime in. From the picture, it looks like a brighter version of a burgundy color. If it's more red than burgundy (fine line, I know), then it might be harder to wear with a suit so I'd be interested in your thoughts. I find the current AE merlot a tad too dark, or too similar to brown, so I'm hoping this new color might be an improvement. Or perhaps I need to wait for this new oxblood they're also coming out with, though spring seems a long time away.

Mean Mr Mustard

Reaction score
Contacting this store does not guarantee that your size and style will be reserved. The store will reach out to you within 2-3 business days with availability of your size and style. Please contact the store by phone for immediate assistance.

Thanks for pointing this out. Of course, in my case, a full week went by after my initial order with no response, so they missed even this target. And I say "even this target" because taking three days to respond to customers doesn't seem like very good service/company policy to me.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Mean Mr Mustard I think they are officially calling it dark chili, if that makes you more comfortable. It's not in the burgundy family at all IMO, it has more reds and browns in its gradient of colors. Take AE's original chili, and add dark brown to the lows, and a little red to the highs. Very rich burnishing, with a nice depth. I don't know how they will approach the oxblood, but it will be interesting to see next year...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads