1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gatszu

gatszu Senior member

It rained in LA so I'm wearing my Bayfield GMTO
    [​IMG]

2. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

3. shoenoobie

shoenoobie Well-Known Member

Quick question guys..

I am size 10.5D on 65 Last (McGregor).

Should I go for 10.5E for the Carlyle (people reported as running slightly narrow..) or just 10.5D? AE store is not around for a fitting situation..

Thank you for your response in advance!

4. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

^
    I'd stick with the 10.5D. For me, although the 65 and 108 lasts fit a little differently, the sizing runs the same.

2 people like this.
  5. shoenoobie

Indeed sir. I just ordered the 10.5D. That was my 7th pair of AE!

6. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

^
    And if it turns out that you need a half size wider, AE's exchanges on first-quality shoes are 100% free and painless.

7. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I gave up waiting for a new shortwing on a workable last from AE, and ordered one from Lazslo Vass.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  8. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

nice - great boot -

9. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Got some new shoes today - MacNeils from TSM
    [​IMG]

10. gatszu

gatszu Senior member

Thanks

11. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Short answer - listen to RLeslie, his advice is always spot on.

Long answer - depends where your foot falls within the 65 last mainly. If you feel like 10.5D is a good fit length and width-wise (i.e. not too short, etc.), I would say go for the same size in the 108 to start at least. The 108 has a much more tapered toebox but the length I thought was about the same. You'll notice I own nothing on the 108 - that's because the vamp comes down lower than I'd like than the 65. Tapering I can handle, but with high arches, the top can be an issue. Tried going to an E on the 108 and it ruined the fit.

1 person likes this.
  12. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

This is correct. The Poron is absolutely not an upgrade in quality. It may well be someone's preference, but it is still foam adhered to fiberboard. It may be covered with a thin piece of leather to pretty it up, but it's not the same quality as a good leather insole, and like you said, the footbed won't form properly in a foam insole.

I have seen the paperboard heel stacks in some shoes I've dissected, so I can vouch for that as well.

13. tharkun

tharkun Senior member

Have you taken apart the poron sole on an AE shoe specifically too? Just asking since AE sent a roadwarrior ad today and I seem to remember that it said that there is some cork layer as well for making a foot bed form even with the foam? Not sure if/how that works. Just curious on marketing vs reality :)

14. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Not entirely, no. But I've peeled some of it back to see it, and I also just know how they are made.

They do have cork underneath them, so they aren't being dishonest. However, they are touting the qualities of cork where they won't be useful. The fiberboard doesn't compress under the pressure points of your foot the way the solid leather insole will. It's too rigid, and simply doesn't have the same qualities. So yes, that's marketing.

Goodyear-welted shoes, because of the construction method, naturally has a void under the insole that has to be filled with something, and cork is considered the best option for multiple reasons, including but not limited to cost, ease of application, displacement properties, etc.

15. shoenoobie

Gentlemen, I had a question about what you think would be appropriate with doing AE for casual.

I have McGregor (Navy suede), 6th Avenue Derby (Dark Brown), Cavanaugh (Choco suede & Tan/Walnut), Ascher (Tan/Walnut), which all go well with casual clothing. I am looking to get Grayson in Bourbon/Black for casual wear as well.

What are your thoughts on 5th Ave and Strand to go completely casual? (Not even business casual, but something a little more casual - button down & chinos & colorful socks)

Certainly... McAllister could be done pretty casually since it isn't too serious, but are you guys pulling this off on a daily basis? Will I look too much like a tool on a college campus?

Thank you for your input in advance! And thank you again for all the great posts gents!

16. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

Thank you. Was a Mets fan growing up in NJ (Tom Seaver, Jerry Koosman, Dave Kingman, Felix Millan, Bud Harrelson era). Haven't been to a game in about 10 years, but it was just too nice of a day to not pass the time this way.

Oh, I dunno. Game went into extra innings, a few homers, a couple of challenges, way too many pitcher substitutions. Then there was the guy from the Okeefenokee swamp running commentary sitting behind us (I sh!t you not, he drove 5 hours to the Ted!), plus the Met hottie with short blonde hair and bare midriff who came and sat a few rows in front of us around the top of the 9th. :happy:

Yikes! Did not consider that! I'm usually uncoordinated enough to that anything lands on my shirt first before making it anywhere near my shoes. However, no harm came to the McGregors that day.

You know, that's the great thing about the home team sucking: great seats on the secondary market for dirt cheap. We were down there behind the on deck circle,section 105! :slayer:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  17. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@shoenoobie First, gotta prioritize - there's a black Williams 10.5D. Get that NOW, don't wait. Then, take a look at the Positano in 10D for pure casual, no rush.

Going back to your real question, you could go with either of those as casual, but they wouldn't be my top choice. McTavish would work better than McAllister. And something like a Players (or blucher in general) would be more casual than a strand.

1 person likes this.
  18. shoenoobie

Thanks for the suggestion. Given the color of the leather and heels, I see what you mean with McTavish. Darn there are so many models out there in the shade of... formalness..

It's just my style but... Not a huge fan of bluchers and long wings in general. I find balmoral to be more sleek and sexy. So I am kind of in the market for only balmorals.. I wonder if anyone else feels the same way..

19. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

20. bradybot

bradybot Active Member

I bought a pair of shell cordovan Bradleys off of eBay. My first pair of shell. Just got them back from recrafting.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.