1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickatpsu

nickatpsu Active Member

I've found the AE brown shell to be variable, and I actually like this. Sometimes it varies by the age of the shoe, sometimes it's just luck of the draw (see the 2 pairs of brown shell Norwich, ordered at the same time in September 2014).

I believe that in May 2015 AE moved to a darker brown for their shell. See Strand pic below from a May 2015 order. Somebody called it "deep dark brown", or something like that. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

Townley was ordered in January 2015, but it was a leftover from an older webgem or MTO of some kind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. garland

garland Senior member

The color of the shell itself hasn't actually changed, but the finishing has definitely gotten darker for the brown and burgundy too within the last 6-9 months. It's easy enough to lighten up though if someone wants a brighter finish.

3. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior member

Really like what you did with those shoes a lot, BackInTheJox. They look 1000 times better than they did before with that extra-heavy burnishing. Congrats on learning a new polishing skill and gaining an awesome looking pair of shoes.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. Martius

Martius Member

Berkleys this fall-weather morning.

[​IMG]

5. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Happy Monday everyone! Came across this picture this morning while searching for a file on my work computer. Just happened to be wearing my Franciscan's today, so figured I would post.... I'll add a PC PoD (@peppercorn78 Pic of the Day), if I have time and find some stairs.
    [​IMG]

6. tharkun

tharkun Senior member

Something I'm still trying to figure out is how this is possible in the crease areas. Sure I can polish them there too but it will look g'awful after walking in them for a few meters. By the time I'm at the office I'll have to remove a lot of "sand" with some rigorous brushing. How do you prevent that (apart from not polishing anything but the toe/heel). For reference I use AE cream polish, then Kiwi neutral wax.

7. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

If your shoes that fit you are D width, then why on earth would you buy B width shoes? It sounds to me like you're a 10D in Allen Edmonds. So am I, and I buy only Allen Edmonds because I know they'll fit. So should you. :nodding:

8. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

The full toe trees are buy one get two free online now!

9. shoenoobie

shoenoobie Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. Yup. At the least it is D. I did find a few Lasts with even E width do me justice. I just had to find that out in the painful way.. Just thought that 10.5B could be similar to 10D...

I am gunning for 10.5D for anything lace up, however. Not sure how 10D will fit with closed laced as I feel very good with derbies at 10.5D. Loafers on the other hand... I am still not confident between 10D or 10.5D. I feel like the Lasts really matter..

10. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Rare morning stairs shot. (Pardon the shadows). Morning = hot coffee. :)

Chili calf/grain regent streets:

[​IMG]

11. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

With the cooler temps this am, I now declare the beginning of boot weather. Shell burgundy daltons 2day:

[​IMG]

12. bamgrinus

bamgrinus Senior member

They've used the Poron insoles on some shoes that they make for Brooks Brothers for some time. They've also got that "Road Warriors" collection that's aimed at people on their feet a lot. I'm not sure I've seen a lot of others with the poron. They may also be shooting for buyers who are getting their first pair of welted footwear, and are more used to wearing shoes with a lot more cushioning.

13. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

Can you give some pointers? And will this technique work with calf as well as shell?

14. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Daltons look good - I like the lighter color of yours

1 person likes this.
  15. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

I believe nordstrom carries both loafers. Perhaps you can try them there.

16. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

Tan Dublin Long Branch GMTO
    [​IMG]

17. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

That was a great build -

18. fairlynerdy

fairlynerdy Senior member

Enjoying the boot weather in the northeast today by pulling out my GMTO Eagle Counties.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's a picture on some stairs with a drink to continue the @peppercorn78 tradition. :)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. garland

garland Senior member

Calf and shell are very different as far as care routine goes. You can basically remove the factory finish by rubbing the shoes down pretty aggressively with a damp cloth and then brushing the shoes and do a final buff. Repeat this a few times and you'll reveal the natural color of the shell, which is generally lighter than the finish applied. Be warned though, that you never know exactly what you'll find underneath the finish. Different panels often are slightly different colors, imperfections in the coloring, etc.

20. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

I recognize that street.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.