1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

I have the Adams and I prefer it. To me, the braiding makes it slightly dressier than the Grayson. Because it's an Independence shoe, the leather, lining, and outsole are better on the Adams. But the Adams only comes in burgundy and black, whereas the Grayson gives you more color choices.

1 person likes this.
  2. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

Thanks. I picked up a pair of Adams loafers at Burlington Coat Factory for $100 last weekend, and I like how they look. I guess because I had never seen the braiding in person before it's just taking me a while to get used to it. I agree with you that the leather feels nicer even than the mainline Allen Edmonds models.

3. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@BespokeBrooklynI actually thought you were kidding with that question [​IMG]. The Adams is one of their best styles, I think they're much nicer than the Grayson. Once you try the indep line it's tough to go back.

I'm a big fan of the braid - I always liked the way it looked. I put off getting the Maxfield forever after reading some reviews about people having the braid break off. No idea how they could have done that - seems like that would take like a decade of nonstop wear. Liked them enough I picked up the Rye too, before it disappeared.

Coincidentally I just saw an Adams in black at BCF, 100 is definitely a steal. Fringe size - width was either A or AA.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Yeah, I was hoping for much more "mild" burnishing like yours. I had considered acetone/alcohol, I'll have to look into that further so I don't screw them up completely. Thanks.

5. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

While I don't have the Adams I definitely think they use better materials than the Grayson (at least the calfskin versions).

That said I actually feel the opposite in terms of what's dressier. I feel that the the extra ornaments on the Adams makes it less dressy than the Grayson. The braided cord and the NST stitching makes it look more casual to me than the plain jane Grayson in the same way that an NST looks more casual than a plain toe.

We're splitting hairs here probably. We all know anyway that neither the Adams and Grayson can really be considered as formal shoes.

6. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@watchidiot I guess I completely overlooked the dressy/formality aspect. Absolutely agree that the Adams is less dressier with the extra, and also that I wouldn't go with either for super formal.

7. tharkun

tharkun Senior member

It so depends on foot shape! I see that on my own two feet. Not only is my left a size shorter, it also fits shoes much better. I got Leeds (511 last) in 8 1/2 3E and while the left foot obviously doesn't reach very far into the shoe, I can lace it up in lots of ways and it just fits and nothing hurts or feels weird. On the right foot however I can't use all lacing styles as that makes my instep hurt a lot, even though the foot still feels like its sliding around a bit. The tongue also noticeably sits in a different place than on the left. I've also never been able to get my right foot into any balmoral in a size that isn't ridiculously too big.

8. BackInTheJox

Ok, so this morning I got a little antsy and decided to go ahead and give these a once over with some isopropyl alcohol and elbow grease (in the burnished areas). Below are some pics (the lighting isn't identical to the original pics but you get the idea). Obviously this is only my first go at it, and I will have to even the color out. The photos are after I stripped much of the black color and then gave them a quick once-over with some AE cleaner/conditioner.

I will continue to try to feather some of the burnishing so it all blends better, and then after some more conditioning, I am thinking of using some AE chili polish to slightly darken the leather and help it blend into the burnished areas.

First time having a go at this, so it's obviously not perfect. Any suggestions/criticisms are welcome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

Thanks, @watchidiot and @neo1. I've never owned tassel loafers, and will probably only wear them to restaurants or to parties, with slacks and a sportcoat or sweater. I definitely see how the split toe and braid would make the Adams less formal, but also a bit "sharper" or dandier. I think that burgundy is probably a more versatile color for a tassel loafer, but at $100 I didn't feel as if I could pass them up. As for Neo's comment, I do wear a fringe size -- 15D, which is probably less rare than AA but still pretty difficult to find in brick-and-mortar stores. The downside is that its hard to find normal stock on a regular basis. The upside is that discontinued models turn up with a bit more regularity.
    Quote:

10. daveinsweethome

daveinsweethome Well-Known Member

I am very impressed with your work on these shoes. I would just get some polish into them and go forth and shine (you and the shoes)

2 people like this.
  11. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Much better. Yeah, now nourish, condition, Polish, wear, and enjoy.

1 person likes this.
  12. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

Those look great now, and I wouldn't mess with them too much more. With a little polish, they'll be beauties!

1 person likes this.
  13. shoenoobie

shoenoobie Well-Known Member

Thank you to the Style Forum. Just been eye browsing for a long time and decided to join the community.

I am fairly new to the whole Allen Edmonds game and found that the fit of the shoes is much trickier than it ought to be... I moved back to school for the fall now and finding a physical AE store is now impossible where I am studying..

Had a question about what sizing I should be looking for.

Currently, I own and feel comfortable with:

- McGregor - 10.5D
    - 6th Aveneue Toe Derby - 10.5D

I found these to be not the right sizes:

- Cavanaugh - 10.5D (Large - mad heel slipping. Tried on Cavanaugh/Hyde Street size 10D - fits decently well, but haven't "walked around" yet to test out)
    - Carlyle - 10B (Almost impossible to fit in in the first place)
    - Cavalier - 10.5B (Length could be fine, but way too narrow)
    - Naples - 10.5B (Length could be fine, but way too narrow)

Other shoe brands...

- Cole Haan lace ups - 11D
    - Cole Haan loafers - 10.5 or 11 (More like 10.75... size 11 great with socks for loafers)
    - Gordon Rush - 9.5D or 10D
    - Johnston & Murphy loafers - 10.5D
    - Sebago loafers - 10D
    - Zara loafers - 11D

What could be my actual size for AE's Cavanaugh and Ascher loafers?

The width seems to be a medium, but finding 10 vs. 10.5 has been a real trick so far... Ebay/online is only means for me to buy Allen Edmonds now and I have already returned 3 shoes because of fit.. Thank you for your feedback in advance gentlemen!

14. Southwick

Southwick Well-Known Member

I have noticed that some of the newer models have poron insoles. Is this an indication that AE is cutting back on quality materials in favor of less expensive synthetics over leather? Or is there a certain benefit to the poron.

15. vmss

vmss Senior member

I believe they also use paperboard heels rather than leather stacked heels. It seems they are on that route by slowly but surely exchanging leather to synthetic materials and market them as better fitting or cushioning. Also, many customers proclaimed that there leather uppers used to be much better quality then the newer models.

16. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

The Poron is for a softer cushioned feel and better comfort, and the Poron cushion is underneath a leather insole, like the Long Branch and Lasalle, and Wilberts. I view it as an upgrade and improvement.

1 person likes this.
  17. vmss

vmss Senior member

I think you meant its covered by a sock liner? There is a big difference between a thin leather sock liner and a thick leather insole which creates a foot bed. Poron insole does not great a foot bed.

18. BackInTheJox

Here's after one coat of AE chili polish:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

Clark Street natural CXL.[​IMG]

20. tb43

tb43 Senior member

Can anybody post some pics of AEs brown shell cordovan? I would really appreciate it! I'm trying to determine if its light enough- I do not want a really dark brown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.