1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jubu

jubu Senior member

Can anyone help me size some Grayson loafers in comparison to 65 last sizing? Do you all normally just go with the same size? I've got narrow heels and worried about heel slip with it being a loafer--wondering if i should go down half a size or width...Want to jump on a pair I spotted on the Shoebank....thanks!

2. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

I'd take TTS for the Grayson.

3. jubu

jubu Senior member

Thanks @watchidiot -- do you think the toe box is roomier, or about the same as the 65-last?

4. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I'm sure there are. You could try the AE conditioner/cleaner. Also check with the shoe care thread. There are many anti-saphir folks in there who should be glad to give you suggestions.

5. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

I got the AE catalog. No $50 code for me. [​IMG] While some of the pix are better, others are still incredibly dark.

Also, PSA, There is a pair of new truffle shell mcgraws on the bay. Size 12, i think.

6. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

No code for me either. They save them for people who haven't purchased much or in a long time. Not for folks they think are likely to buy anyway. Which is not exactly me anymore. Too bad they don't choose to reward the most loyal customers ;)

1 person likes this.
  7. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

I got a $50 off one pair of shoes coupon. Of course, I'm not sure what I would buy with only $50 off one pair (besides a moc which gets them back to the intro price) that wouldn't be cheaper during the upcoming sale. It's just marketing in the mean time to those less in the know, and since loyal customers are looking forward to the sale anyway, you could always take not getting some measly $50 off one pair code as a sign of respect. I see it kinda like a JAB commercial for buy one suit and get one free. Maybe if its the only JAB commercial you've ever seen, or JABs the only place to buy a suit at that very moment and you must have a suit that day for some crazy reason. If it had been something like $50 off $150+ or even $200+, I may have jumped on a few belts and some accessories. But then why would they offer a discount on those things that probably have the highest markup? Ah, the retail business. I don't miss it.

8. Brown Dynamite

Brown Dynamite Senior member

Kirkwoods and Coffee (finally). Shot in the PC vain.
    [​IMG]

9. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@jubu of course I defer to the watchman, as he was more of these than anyone else. But toebox is NOT the same as 65. Much more taper, I would even say the most of any last. I would go with your 65 size exactly and see from there. Trouble with 97 loafers is the heel is already large, so going up in width throws the heel off even more. Give them a try -

10. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

I kinda dig both of those loafers

11. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Agreed, and they're both as close to "first" quality as can be.

12. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

------------------------

No code for me, either. That really bites.

I guess I'll just have to save my shekels for the RDA sale, assuming there's something I want with a good enough discount. Right now, I'm thinking about the Macneil 2.0 Brown Grains, the Clark Street Natural CXLs, and the Strand in Oxblood. Not crazy about the orange Dainite sole on the Clarks, though -- may have to get a custom leather sole for those if I pull the trigger.

13. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

----------------------

My sizing experience is different from watchidiot's. I take a 6 EEE in the 65 last but a 6.5E in the Grayson's 97 last. I guess it all comes down to foot shape.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  14. HealthActuary

HealthActuary Senior member

I made a huge lump sum purchase like 2 months ago and I got the $50 sticker :)

15. LanceM

LanceM Senior member

I got a sticker too! Sucks you can't use the 50 off with the RDA sale! Oh well it's almost 15%

16. colco

colco Senior member

17. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

As you can see from the replies, the fit really depends on your foot and that there is no universally correct answer.

I have a wide forefoot and a very high instep. I measure 8.5D on the brannock. For 65 last I wear 8E on derbies and 8.5E on bals. For the grayson I wear 8.5D.

Before I figured out my 65 last sizing I actually bought an 8.5D strand. It works for my feet except that the vgap is too wide. Thus I have to increase the width for my subsequent purchases. If I was to be honest with myself though, 65 lasted bals aren't really for me.

For the toe box, Neo is correct. The 97 last has a more aggressive taper but that's only because it's wider on the balls of the feet than the 65 last. It is also more flat compared to the more "bulbous" toes of the 65 last.

Anyway to help you out here are some side by side of 8.5D Graysons and strands. Pardon the dirty soles.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

Don't pick on him too much. I feel his pain.

I've got short legs and it's damned near impossible to buy off the rack without getting pants hemmed. For beater jeans I just walk the bottoms off. It's bad, but it allows me more choice in shoes. Can't really tell the difference between a blucher or a bal so the toe matters most.

19. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

In a vacuum, do you guys prefer the Grayson or the Adams? Do you consider one to be dressier or dandier than the other?

1 person likes this.
  20. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

Wow, man. That's way more dramatic than mine.

[​IMG]

There are ways of mellowing it. Saddle soap is a mellow starting point. A little rubbing alcohol and some elbow grease will strip any patina that is just polish based. Some folks use acetone, as well, and then re-moisturize the shoe. It's not nearly as harsh as it sounds if you're careful... just use the google and folks will have step by steps posted all over.

Also, once you've gotten it as mellow as you're able to, using plain walnut polish should cover it a bit.Or even a darker brown so that the light walnut sections end up a little darker.

I hope it works out. I got super lucky with mine -- they're good enough I wouldn't have returned them if they were first. I honestly can't see why they were seconds other than they had been tried on -- which I base on some small scuffs on the soles like they'd been walked in on carpet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.