1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

I'd say that based on this, the First Avenue is a better choice for you.

2. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

Honestly I'd go neither if that's how you're gonna wear them and instead get the Dundee instead. I think there's gonna be too much shaft for that small an opening. (or maybe not, I just wanted to say that). If that's too clunky, just stick w/ your gut and get a chelsea or buy the Kent Wang suede chukka.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  3. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

Looks great! Are they relatively new? Every used pair I see on eBay is seriously wrinkled on the vamp, like Martius' shot below.

Aha so there are corrected grain versions out there? I had heard this but googling never really confirmed it. Are they all CG? I see 'em pop up on the Shoebank from time to time.

4. Andurew Choi

Andurew Choi Senior member

Thats what I'm thinking as well. Although the First Avenue's have less color options. I think it would be hard to find a pair that would match both dark indigo and black denim
    Not really a fan of the Dundee boots. Also I'm looking for a pair of leather boots since it rains quite often where i'm currently living.

5. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

only thing that could possibly be worse is the rogue in that color.

6. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Thanks, Richie.

A few years ago, AE stopped using CG for some of their shoes. The sheltons and some other models used them. They then transitioned to real leather for everything. My Sheltons are real leather. I believe AE has discontinued the Shelton. I got them when they were clearanceing them out from the website. They were under $200 and got them for an add'l 15% or so off everything for one weekend. I pounced.

I wear them exclusively with navy suits. I think they would work with black suits, but I don't have any black suits. When you think about it, the bal closed lacing style works well with suits. I need to wear them more. However, I've got a lot of shell shoes and those seem to get the most wear esp if the weather is nice.

1 person likes this.
  7. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

What is "corrected grain"? Not familiar with that ....

8. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

What AE calls "polished cobbler". Basically, the top (grain) of the leather is sanded down and some kind of polymer is poured over it, giving the leather a shiny, plasticy appearance and feel. This is typically done with lesser choice bits of the hide, as it covers up blemishes quite well.

9. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Exactly. However, CG is, in fact, "real leather." It simply has that treatment on top peppercorn describes. I've got an old cir. '85 pair of McAlisters in CG I've saved for the rare combination of lousy weather, need for a suit, with no place to change.

I'm not sure you can really polish them in the traditional sense - just wipe them down and buff. But they might be able to survive a thermonuclear event.

10. tb43

tb43 Senior member

Quick question for you guys: what color shell is cappuccino? Is it lighter than the standard brown.

Thanks!

11. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Those are some long trousers there. :embar:

12. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

Thank you.

13. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Sick day for baby and dad, so this is the closest I'm getting to snapping my peppercorn shot o the day. Despite the heavy creasing on one shoe only and causing smurf feet, these are still seeing a good amount of wear.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Nice PC shots everyone! Here's mine for today. Won't be in the studio today, so here's a quick snap walking back from dropping the kids at school.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Yes, it's lighter than the brown shell. A bit more red/tan/gold undertones than with the brown shell.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  16. misterellington

misterellington Senior member

They sort of did...with THIS odd bird SMU for Lands End—the “Stewart”—basically a Blue Suede Leeds with the same light-colored double-sole as those Navy Shell Macneils (“Drooooolllling again!”). Found it at the hated BCF—hated for the shopping experience, loved for the “gets”—for $99.00 in February. They broke in magnificently and became my Summer shoe with white pants. A really nice, nautical looking shoe that also works well with jeans. It was also the first AE shoe I ever went and got secondary-colored laces for.

[​IMG]

Eyelets aren't a bright “brass”, but more of a deep pewter. Love this Goddamned shoe. Went all over town looking for a second pair for my younger brother. No dice. We wear nearly the same size and he had an event he wanted to wear them too. Did I loan 'em to him? Yeah. I did...

And I felt like I hadn't since my daughter was a teen out on a date—sittin' around, all tremble-handed with a tumbler of Johnnie Walker Blue, fearing they'd come home to me somehow all jacked up. But, little brother didn't let me down. he brought 'em back immaculate. LOL.

[​IMG]

With the equally rare “Hollywood” Web Gem at left (with an orange (!) V-Tap Sole)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. misterellington

Those look great for so-called “beaters”. And it goes to show what a little bit of regular TLC can do for a supposedly middle-level-plus shoe. Duly noted. :)

18. misterellington

Do....THIS! :)

19. Brown Dynamite

Brown Dynamite Senior member

I don't need a pair of navy suede shoes...but I would absolutely buy those if I had the chance. Great get, sir!

20. Brown Dynamite

Brown Dynamite Senior member

No AEs for me today, but I did manage to snap a pic of my BB Warwicks on my way to dinner last night.

PSA from PC: "Keep your hands clean, kids!"

[​IMG]

I promise my next one will have coffee in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.