• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have the Finch? I'm liking the tan/blue version. I have the Shelton which is on the same last and I'm wondering they 2 styles fit the same. I am wondering because I needed to go down 1/2 size from the McAllister to the McTavish which are also on the same last.

Chris

Last edited:

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They typically retail for $335 or so, $245 on sale (only for select styles). If you check ebay, you will see that a pair of Allen Edmonds that retailed in the $335 range will sell for at least $100 used, typically more.

Absolutely agree with this, and think the price is justified. If you think about it, would you rather buy some very lightly used AEs, or a pair of J&M? How about Bostonians, or Florsheims? That's how I look at it because with AE I can always take advantage of the re-crafting process.

I see >$100 all the time, but in the end there are some key variables to the final selling price:

1 - Condition of soles is huge, and one of the things I look at heavily.
2 - Severity of creasing in the shoe. This takes a little skill with shoe trees in, but you'll get an eye for who's trying to snow you.
3 - Which model is selling. This is the biggest factor really. I had to stalk my Weybridges for a long time before I found the right pair. Barely worn, right color and I got them for $90. Certain models just get a ton of demand.
4 - Color can change the price a lot, even for the same model. A black MacNeil will go for $70, and the Walnut in the same condition will get almost twice that amount.

Now that I think about it, does anyone have any before/after photos of a pair of AEs they sent back for re-crafting? I'd love to see the results.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now that I think about it, does anyone have any before/after photos of a pair of AEs they sent back for re-crafting? I'd love to see the results.

Here are my Bridgetons before and after

and my Holbrooks before and after

Chris

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here are my Bridgetons before and after

and my Holbrooks before and after

Chris

Wow, that's pretty amazing what they did with those Holbrooks. I have a suede split toe, can't remember the name of the model, I've though about sending in. Your pictures have all but solidified that. I got them for $30 so the overall investment will be light. Thanks for posting, and keep them coming!

sartorialnoob

Reaction score
Last edited:

ElDave

Reaction score
What's a normal turnaround time for a topy?

csc67

Reaction score
From my experience, the AE split toe shoes trees could damage the footbed when inserting it at a steep angle because the hinge portion located on the underside of the shoe tree strikes the footbed. Purchase the the full toe version or be careful when using the split toe model

mcass

Reaction score
Thought I would post my comparison of the AE Amok as compared to an Alden 1493 snuff suede chukka. I currently own olive Amoks (first run of Amoks, purchased on clearance at $99 - should have gotten a different color, but oh well). Recently purchased an Alden 1493 suede chukka. I suspect many have been curious about the differences between these two, I know I've been. Let it be known that I'm a major AE fan, especially from a value perspective (factory second sales mean that most of my AE purchases are in the $150-200 per pair range - really can't beat this..). I have around 12 pairs of AEs, and until now it had been the only brand that I own.

I anticipated purchasing the Alden 1493 and AE Snuff Amok to compare colors. Your price comparison is $460 for a pair of the Aldens, to $250 for the Amoks. Factory second Amoks would be $199. I can tell you that I've never spent over $220 on a pair of shoes before, the Aldens were a big jump for me...

I did not end up purchasing the Snuff Amok. After receiving the Alden, I compared to my olive Amoks and found the following:

1. The quality of the Alden suede far surpasses AE's suede quality. AE's suede isn't horrendous by any means, but Alden's is truly buttery smooth. My AEs have only had about 4 wears so far, and there's already some marks that I know I'm gonna have a difficult time removing. And they've been babied, in my opinion. (Note that I did not clean these up at all before snapping the pictures below). I feel I can confidently say that the Alden suede is going to hold up much better in the long run.

2. There are subtle differences in the shape of the shoe. You'll notice that the AE is a bit more pointy in 2 aspects. First, in the overall shape, the toe is a tad bit more pointy. Secondly, the AE's cut a bit more pointy or forward where the quarters (??) meet the vamp (??) (somebody correct me if I'm using the wrong terms...). The Aldens round downward at this area, and I personally prefer the rounded shapes of the Alden more.

3. The Alden has a small heel support on the insole. At first, it was annoying...felt like a big piece sticking into my foot. But comparing back and forth between the Amok and the Alden, the support is helpful and more comfortable. As soon as I got used to it, I tried the Amoks back on and if felt like I was now missing something. The support makes a difference in daily walking.

4. Better appearance of "layering" in the heel. See side-by-side pics for what I'm referring to...

There aren't many other differences to speak of. They both are 2 eyelet chukkas with an oil soaked sole and split-reverse welts. The shape and the suede quality were my 2 big factors between the 2 shoes.

So, regardless of the price, I ended up keeping the Aldens. My thoughts can be summarized as this: Nobody besides you, the wearer, is going to recognize the differences in these shoes. They honestly look nearly identical. If the little things change your opinion though, you're going to struggle with the AEs after trying the Aldens. The Aldens are just a bit nicer. Are they worth an extra $210-260 over the AEs? No, not really. The AEs are far and away a better value. But, to me, the details made enough of a difference that I knew I wouldn't be truly satisfied with the AE version and I'd always be wanting the Alden pair. I hope this helps anybody who's been on the fence one way or the other. If you have money to kill, try the Aldens (I didn't, but hey..finances be damned..). If you don't, please please please go with the AEs.

I've included some pictures below. Again, these are the olive Amoks versus the snuff Aldens, and I had originally planned to try the Snuff AEs until I saw the differences above... Pardon the crappy cell pics. Lastly - please note that I am normally an 8.5D in AE. I took an 8E in the Aldens. Feel free to PM if you have any questions about either of these.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anybody have the Finch? I'm liking the tan/blue version. I have the Shelton which is on the same last and I'm wondering they 2 styles fit the same. I am wondering because I needed to go down 1/2 size from the McAllister to the McTavish which are also on the same last.
Chris

The Finch and Shelton have the same fit. The tan/blue is way nicer IRL than on AE.com. I posted a pic a few days ago.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mcass - thanks for that informative write up on the Amok vs Alden's suede chukka. It helped to clarify a lot of things I had already suspected, but it was nice to see it articulated like that. I tried an Amok from an AE outlet, and I liked it a lot, but I'm not sure the sizing will work for me. I tried a 12D but it was too tight in the toebox, so I'm going to try a 12E, but that might be too wide in the heel. Probably a 12.5 would work better, but I'm not sure AE makes that size in the Amok. Since you said the Alden has a more rounded toebox, that may fit my foot better. I'll definitely give it a try if I can't get the AE sizing to work.

Essential

Reaction score
I spilled a little water in my shoes (larkins if it matters) and I wiped it off quickly. It left some slight dark marks. Will they go away or is there a way to get it off?

slimfit4me

Reaction score
Putting on my Neumora this morning & the rear strap with the buckle broke off on the left shoe when I was buckling it.
censored.gif
The strap broke off above where the stitching was at. Took the shoes back to the AE store for a refund. Didn't want to get a replacement pair since the same thing could happen down the road again. I probably wore the Neumora about three times.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score

I spilled a little water in my shoes (larkins if it matters) and I wiped it off quickly. It left some slight dark marks. Will they go away or is there a way to get it off?

what color are the shoes and what are they made of?

cbtaylor

Reaction score
Just received my first pair of AE in the mail. Got the Mcallisters in walnut, and they are beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads