• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need some advice AE gurus. When I measure my foot using the metal contraption I get an 11.5 D width. My PA's are 11.5 D are are a little tight for my left foot and probably half a size too big. Some days are better than others with the tightness so I don't wear them when I run in the morning and they are fine. I have been wanting a pair of suede shoes and Macy's has the suede Strand on sale plus a discount so you can get firsts for the 160's. I ordered an 11 and they only have D width so if they completely don't work I can return them. Do the leather lined suede shoes from AE stretch at all? My gut says not but I went with the purchase anyway. 6pm has some E width but their price is still $212. May order those and see.

The AE store should be opening in Nashville soon so I can try everything out before I buy them. Thanks in advance for the help.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Need some advice AE gurus.  When I measure my foot using the metal contraption I get an 11.5 D width.  My PA's are 11.5 D are are a little tight for my left foot and probably half a size too big.  Some days are better than others with the tightness so I don't wear them when I run in the morning and they are fine.  I have been wanting a pair of suede shoes and Macy's has the suede Strand on sale plus a discount so you can get firsts for the 160's.  I ordered an 11 and they only have D width so if they completely don't work I can return them.  Do the leather lined suede shoes from AE stretch at all?  My gut says not but I went with the purchase anyway.  6pm has some E width but their price is still $212.  May order those and see.

The AE store should be opening in Nashville soon so I can try everything out before I buy them.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Don't sacrifice a good fit to save a few bucks. The shoes won't get worn, or you'll end up selling them. Trust me. It's a bigger waste of money in the long run.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't sacrifice a good fit to save a few bucks. The shoes won't get worn, or you'll end up selling them. Trust me. It's a bigger waste of money in the long run.

Yea I realize that now that my PA's aren't the most satisfying but I still wear them. I am thinking the 5 last may not be for me though.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a pair of Park Aves from ebay for $56. The seller listed them cheaply because she couldn't remove a white scuff from one of the toes. I tried every trick I could find on the Internet, but it wasn't until I resorted to nail polish remover and a Q-tip that it finally came off. I then spent the rest of the day adding light coats of black polish to the shoes, letting them dry and buffing, and repeating the process until they started to look decent.

Delivered:

After 4-5 light coats of polish:

I plan to continue working on them over the weekend. I obviously wanted new Park Aves, but I never bought a pair because I knew I'd rarely wear them - I always ended up buying a different shoe. I am psyched to finally have a pair of Park Aves! It feels like the last hole in my shoe game is filled and I can now sleep at night.
smile.gif

Fantastic job.

As for finally sleeping at night, keep following this thread and you'll start losing sleep again soon enough . . .

0.jpg

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last year I picked up both burgundy and brown shell Patriot seconds, IIRC paid $299 each. The only issue with them was the soles were not done well and weren't symmetrical on either pair. Don't think most people notice but it has been bothering me. So I sent my burgundy ones to Nick at B. Nelson to have JR soles done in antique edge finish. Got them back earlier this week and have been breaking them back in, very pleased with the results and the job he did.

Before:

These look great! I love the more casual feel now. These would get a ton for use in my rotation

Scottyb06

Reaction score
First negative experience with Allen Edmonds: Ordered a pair of seconds during the recent 2 for $299 sale. Despite five telephone calls with the Shoebank I ended up (1) being overcharged by about 40%, (2) received the wrong size shoe, (3) received the wrong size shoe trees, and (4) was told by customer service that they don't deal with issues related to seconds. Went into a store today and received fantastic service but they couldn't solve the issue due to no more inventory. I understand it's not their fault and appreciate their help as always. It would have been nice, however, if (1) these errors weren't made in the first place, and (2) customer service actually offered to help when I contacted them six days ago. I will still purchase from this company but am less inclined to take advantage of seconds sales. I imagine they don't make much money from those sales anyway so I suppose it doesn't even matter that much.

Scottyb06

Reaction score
Need some advice AE gurus. When I measure my foot using the metal contraption I get an 11.5 D width. My PA's are 11.5 D are are a little tight for my left foot and probably half a size too big. Some days are better than others with the tightness so I don't wear them when I run in the morning and they are fine. I have been wanting a pair of suede shoes and Macy's has the suede Strand on sale plus a discount so you can get firsts for the 160's. I ordered an 11 and they only have D width so if they completely don't work I can return them. Do the leather lined suede shoes from AE stretch at all? My gut says not but I went with the purchase anyway. 6pm has some E width but their price is still $212. May order those and see.

The AE store should be opening in Nashville soon so I can try everything out before I buy them. Thanks in advance for the help.

I am sized at an 11.5D/E (in-between widths) on the Brannock. My perfect AE fit is an 11E on all lasts, including the #5. I have the Strand in walnut, navy suede, and the brogue suede (brown) with the Danite sole. I can tell you that (1) my walnut Strands fit very well, (2) my navy Suede strands run a little big and fit more like a McTavish, and (3) my brown suede Strands fit rather snugly and I'd likely be better off with an 11EE. They are also my least favorite AE shoes. In my suede collection I far prefer my Neumoks. I might be willing to part with my suede Strands if you could do $150 understanding they are used seconds. I've worn them less then ten times over the past year and never in rain or snow.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am sized at an 11.5D/E (in-between widths) on the Brannock. My perfect AE fit is an 11E on all lasts, including the #5. I have the Strand in walnut, navy suede, and the brogue suede (brown) with the Danite sole. I can tell you that (1) my walnut Strands fit very well, (2) my navy Suede strands run a little big and fit more like a McTavish, and (3) my brown suede Strands fit rather snugly and I'd likely be better off with an 11EE. They are also my least favorite AE shoes. In my suede collection I far prefer my Neumoks. I might be willing to part with my suede Strands if you could do $150 understanding they are used seconds. I've worn them less then ten times over the past year and never in rain or snow.

Part of the fit on the strands is going to be your arch. I am a 13E on the metal contraption and my suede strands are 12eee it is actually the shoe that made me realize how wrong fitting my other 65 lasted bal's were - so to try Scotty's 11E might be a good way to go

Scottyb06

Reaction score
My issue is that I have a relatively high instep. Regardless of last 11E's are the best way to go every time. 11.5D is a bit too tight for me - tolerable but tight.

indigoroots

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'm really happy with this one so far, I definitely lucked out but I'd be thrilled to find some shell options at those insane prices. I mean ...Damn.
Thanks Cold Iron! I've read and re-read every online resource I could find on proper shoe care, and this forum alone has been an invaluable help. I won't lie, freaked out when the nail polish remover left a slight rub/burn/abrasion mark on the leather, but knew from research that this could happen and from most reports the ensuing polishing would fill in and cover it up, which it has.

Right now that toe looks completely blemish-free, and I will do my best to keep it that way.
smile.gif

Thanks! I definitely conceded. I am an 11.5 D in the 5 last and these are 11.5 B. What's weird is that they fit great, at least from walking a bit around the house, but the true test will come when I head out and about for the night. I'm actually surprised at how comfortable they feel, as I've been trying not to admit that they feel more comfortable than my other, newer shoes, but I suspect it's because they are already nicely broken in. While the soles are still in decent shape, these shoes have definitely been worn.
Dressed down Cambridge.

Have a great weekend guys!

What watch is that? Looks familiar. Love the fit!

IGotId

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'm really happy with this one so far, I definitely lucked out but I'd be thrilled to find some shell options at those insane prices. I mean ...Damn.
Thanks Cold Iron! I've read and re-read every online resource I could find on proper shoe care, and this forum alone has been an invaluable help. I won't lie, freaked out when the nail polish remover left a slight rub/burn/abrasion mark on the leather, but knew from research that this could happen and from most reports the ensuing polishing would fill in and cover it up, which it has.

Right now that toe looks completely blemish-free, and I will do my best to keep it that way.
smile.gif

Thanks! I definitely conceded. I am an 11.5 D in the 5 last and these are 11.5 B. What's weird is that they fit great, at least from walking a bit around the house, but the true test will come when I head out and about for the night. I'm actually surprised at how comfortable they feel, as I've been trying not to admit that they feel more comfortable than my other, newer shoes, but I suspect it's because they are already nicely broken in. While the soles are still in decent shape, these shoes have definitely been worn.
Dressed down Cambridge.

Have a great weekend guys!

What watch is that? Looks familiar. Love the fit!
Looks like a JLC Reverso, very nice one at that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads