• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cincikid

Reaction score

Walnut AE MacNeils have arrived.
Bought on ebay from "Steve's Name Brand Shoes", they are stamped inside and on the soles with the words "No Warranty", but otherwise seem in fine shape. Look to have been tried on and then returned. No wear at all on the heels.
$130.
Unless this is someone's MTO, I am almost certain these are actually tan saddle leather Freemans Sporting Club offered a few years back. The FSC version also came with tan laces. It is a bit darker on the picture below, but it should be the same shoe.

Here's mine, for comparison

Odradek

Reaction score

Unless this is someone's MTO, I am almost certain these are actually tan saddle leather Freemans Sporting Club offered a few years back. The FSC version also came with tan laces. It is a bit darker on the picture below, but it should be the same shoe. Here's mine, for comparison
Thanks. I was wondering if they were a returned MTO, but I think you've identified them, although mine do not have FSC printed inside. They have very a plain AE branded footbed. Code numbers are 5602 and 31309. Are they even on the 7 last?
Might email Allen Edmonds and investigate further. Bought them from an ebay store called "Steve's Name Brand Shoes", where they were listed as walnut. I have some AE blue laces I might try with them. UPDATE: I contacted customer services at AE and they say these shoes are not MacNeils at all, but Schautals in Chestnut. That's a Nordstrom Rack exclusive model. I had thought the Schautal was a suede only version of the MacNeil. http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/29055#post_6596308 Either way, I love the shoes. Wearing them today for their first time properly. Even got compliments on them. Most folks round here never mention my shoes.

Last edited:

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RL are on the 2 last.
Interesting. All of them? I was just going off the usual AE code, though sometimes it doesn't work. Usually its the 4th digit in the model number, but this one had 5. I can believe 2 last though.

jch1

Reaction score
So let me get this straight- Shoes marked with "no warranty" will not be recrafted at all by AE? That seems unreasonable. What's the explanation for that?

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

So let me get this straight- Shoes marked with "no warranty" will not be recrafted at all by AE? That seems unreasonable. What's the explanation for that?

I believe it means that they won't perform any repairs for defects (on their dime). I could be wrong, but I think they will work on it if you are paying.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They will recraft them. But if something happens during the process, or during normal wear, they won't fix it free of charge. You're out of your own picket to fix.

Typically this is because they were returned for serious structural defects, like the navy MacAllister MTO I did whose gumlight sole was peeling off of the welt. Hitch n post was selling them on eBay for 200$ with no mention of this serious defect. I even sent him a message about it. No response, no update of the listing.

Last edited:

jch1

Reaction score
I believe it means that they won't perform any repairs for defects (on their dime). I could be wrong, but I think they will work on it if you are paying.
Thanks tif. PMd.

jch1

Reaction score
They will recraft them. But if something happens during the process, or during normal wear, they won't fix it free of charge. You're out of your own picket to fix.

Typically this is because they were returned for serious structural defects, like the navy MacAllister MTO I did whose gumlight sole was peeling off of the welt. Hitch n post was selling them on eBay for 200$ with no mention of this serious defect. I even sent him a message about it. No response, no update of the listing.
So in this case, if you wanted to fix it, would you just have to pay the recraft fee?

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah they will be back. It's just talk for now, however AE really needs to come out with more sleeker shoes.

What would you say is one step up from AE shoes?

When AE does not have what I want, I look to Carmina, C&J and Meermin. Meermin may or may not be a step up from AE, but Carmina and C&J most definitely are.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When AE does not have what I want, I look to Carmina, C&J and Meermin. Meermin may or may not be a step up from AE, but Carmina and C&J most definitely are.
Independence Line is a step up from Meermin's CM line but I can't speak on the LM line.

Carmina is definitely higher quality than AE, but I usually pay $200ish for first-quality ($300 for independence line) whereas I pay $450 and up for Carmina.

I will still support AE but not likely though the MTO program.

I'm sure Paul has something down the pipeline to keep his fans happy.

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Independence Line is a step up from Meermin's CM line but I can't speak on the LM line.

Carmina is definitely higher quality than AE, but I usually pay $200ish for first-quality ($300 for independence line) whereas I pay $450 and up for Carmina.

I will still support AE but not likely though the MTO program.

I'm sure Paul has something down the pipeline to keep his fans happy.

You raise a good point to differentiate Meermin. I believe the general consensus is that the Meermin classic line is below AE in quality while the Linea Maestro line is a step up (if you ignore quality control issues that continue to plague Meermin)

Are you in the U.S? If so, my Carmina purchases have usually ranged between $375 and $425 shipped.

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took the day off for moving and had some time to kill so gave some attention to the Walnut Shell Dalton's. By far the favorite of the few shells I have.

edezejet.jpg

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Afternoon gents. I don't usually contribute her much as Alden is my shoe/boot of choice. I wore my Walnut shell Daltons today and thought I would post. csmitty, yours look great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads