1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

^
    Thanks, Garland -- those look great.

What is your sense of how the 201 last compares to the 65 last, lengthwise?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  2. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

Question:

Can anyone share the name of a good maker or makers of thin dress socks? I have plenty of mid- and heavy-weight socks but no thin socks.

3. colco

colco Senior member

^^Pantharella serve me well. Wait for them to go on sale.

4. garland

garland Senior member

Length is very much the same, with the 201 fitting a little fuller through the ball and instep. I love how it fits. Ive finally come to the conclusion that I'm 12C in the 5 last, and an easy 11.5 D in the 201 if that helps at all.

5. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

Thanks for the info. I have a very hard-to-fit foot. I take a 6EEE in the 65 and 108 lasts but a 6.5E in the 97, 234, and 511 lasts. Getting shoes in 6 EEE is a pain in the butt, so I'm hoping that 6.5E works in the 201. I guess I'll have to try them on first to know. I just hate to do so much experimental e-shopping -- doesn't seem right.

6. HealthActuary

HealthActuary Senior member

black hopkinson
    walnut bartlett
    merlot jefferson 2.0

THE NEW GOLD STANDARD.
    God damn...

but those sojourner casual shoes... uhm..

and where is the damn randolph 2.0?!?! lol

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  7. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Sturgis 2.0 out - this is a nice boot!
    • Repello suede upper

Damn - Daltons with Dainite

Jefferson 2.0

SUEDE DUNDEEEEEE's

8. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

Damn. New lineup is great.

9. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

201 is shorter in the toes. 5 last shoes feel long to me.

The wide spot for the ball of the foot is about the same distance from the heel on both, and the toebox on the 201 is a touch more generous even if the very front part is a little shorter than the 65.

The cone comes up a little earlier on a 201, though, so you might get a different impression of the feel and where the widest part hits you, depending on your arch and instep. 65s pinch my pinkie toe a touch and squish the top of my foot when wearing the same size as the 201, mostly because I pull the leather in tight with my high instep, while the 201 fits me perfectly to my brannock size.

10. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

And it's on the 201 last!

I wonder how substantial the I love america whatever sale will be. I don't really have an independence line type of budget set aside, but I really do want a wingtip at some point. That Jefferson might tempt me to stretch it a bit.

Anyway, I guess I was asking a bit much for there to be a short wing blucher on the 201 last, but the fact that they've got most of the bal bases covered for folks with my foot shape makes me happy. That means there'll be something for me next year, as well.

Both the Sturgis an Dalton boots look good to me, and I've already decided the Cornwallis is just a super classy looking shoe.

11. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@Moose22 - damn good description of the 201. I had sort of written it off but may have to reconsider now (overlord, oh yeah).

Word of warning on the Dalton with a high in step....don't repeat my mistake. They might be the best looking boot ever made but you'll be better off with a shaker. Ask Ben to describe the right boot issue, he says it better than I do (and it is spot on). Please take that into account.

Strech on the jeffs - my guess is around 400 for the rda.

1 person likes this.
  12. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

Yeah, I like the overlords. That Kudu leather really is a cool looking upper.

Why'd you write off the 201 last? Because until now it was only Rogues? I think I'm the only person who digs those.

Anyway, in all my trying on, the only ones that fit reasonably for me were the Flatirons, and I didn't really pay too much attention. I was mostly making a misguided attempt to see if there was a way to fit into a 5 last so I could snag those $200 closeout Jeffersons or get into some PAs. Ben was patient and helpful, but I tried on half a dozen pair of PA/5thAve around my size, and some chukkas, and we never got back to the other lasts.

The Rogues were a lot better fit to my shape than the PAs. When you mentioned getting into the Larchmonts comfortably it made me wonder a bit if I shouldn't have gotten some Bourbon Larchmonts instead of my Rogues. Luckily I got a compliment on my shoes from a pretty waitress at lunch today so I'm ok with my choice again.

I've got Rutledges due tomorrow or Monday. I'll definitely compare the fit when they arrive.

13. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

Has anyone got the Brooks Brothers Shaker Heights boot, and if so could you post photo?
    Is the fabric just too over the top and loud?

14. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

I own them, and love them. I don't think the fabric is over-the-top, especially since the color seems to be a little bit more subdued than in the photos. I posted a few photos earlier in this thread, I'll see if I can dig them up on my phone and repost them.

15. BackInTheJox

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last one is just showing the toe areas after I polished them a little bit with saddle brown premium polish. Sorry for the poor lighting in the second photo.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  16. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

Great, thanks for the photos.

17. BackInTheJox

I will also add that this pair of boots tends to get the most compliments out of any shoes and my rotation. I know people often talk about getting compliments on their shoes and it usually sound like they are exaggerating, but the first two or three times I wore these boots I got close to a dozen total complements at work.

18. SimplyStylin

SimplyStylin Senior member

Wallet getting thinner just thinking about these...

Daltons with Danite is a no brainer, they needed this option (and so do I!).

And those Suede Dundees looked great at the store.

19. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Dang! I thought I am done with chukkas, but those suede Dundees are tempting me. :fu:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  20. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

One is never done with chukkas!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.