1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Chili Bleeckers today. Had to step away from my short rotation of insert-friendly shoes. Really glad Earl at Leeds talked me out of the bourbon or brown and into the chili. I just love this color!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. shoelover

shoelover Senior member

Opinion: Is the brown Rutledge too dressy to wear with chinos?

[​IMG]

3. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

I tried that yesterday too, I am battling a mortons neuroma / metatarsalgia condition and have mostly been wearing Bentons and LGAs. My foot feels fine when I wear those, with New Balance supportive cushioned inserts. But as soon as I put a pair of standard shoes on, my feet hurt. I have even had a cortisone shot that the doctor assured me would relieve the pain, but that's where I am; Bentons / LGA with NB insoles, or pain. Frustrating.

4. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

Yes, IMHO

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. manship1856

manship1856 New Member

So I'm looking for some advice. I bought my first pair of AEs in June. I've since bought a few more. I'd love a little advice on filling some holes in the rotation. It currently looks like this:

McAllister walnut
    McAllister burgundy (eBay score)
    Park Avenue black
    Patriot brown
    LaSalle chili

I want to add a dalton boot, but am having trouble what to get next. I'm thinking Carlyle or Lexington in bourbon. Anything off the shoebank is extra points. I'm a 13 b and narrower.

Another nugget of info - I've just started at Merrill Lynch and wear suits every day.

Thanks in advance!

6. shoelover

shoelover Senior member

If you are wearing suits a lot, I'd go with the Carlyle as it is an oxford rather than blucher. Also, at shoebank, there is a Fifth Street boot that would pair nicely with a suit come fall and winter.

7. P12OFIT

P12OFIT Senior member

I just ordered the Lexington. The price was too good to pass up.

8. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Ok, need a little help here. After RichieP's posts about whether to get the Aberdeen, rush st, or mctavish, I decided to go with the mctavish. Then typical irrationality took over and decided to go with the MacNeil.

Wore them for 12 hrs today, medium weight socks, 3 mi if walking in 91 deg weather. My heels were completely destroyed. I was in total agony and couldn't wait to get these off. Is the breakin this rough normally?

9. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

I like the combo myself. The shoes dress up the chinos nicely. Today I'm wearing Brown Park Avenues with blue jeans.

1 person likes this.
  10. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

Can any leather-soled lace-ups be expected to go 3 miles comfortably? I would want athletic shoes or hiking boots for that kind of walk.

1 person likes this.
  11. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@RLeslieS you'd be surprised....with the Larchmont I did more walking than that out of the box. Matter of fact did even more with the Kirkwood. Happy to admit I screwed up with these but I hope they pull through. They are pretty good looking shoes.

Btw, i believe you're a smaller size than me...[​IMG]. Finally.

12. tharkun

tharkun Senior member

I walked at least 4 or 5 km in my Leeds after maybe wearing them twice to the office before (I sit all day and drive to work) and had no heel problems. Just pinky toe problems ;)

13. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

Does anyone have any info on this year's RDA offerings?

14. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

After a lifetime of wearing padded rubber bottom shoes, it took me a while to get used to wearing leather soles for walking distances. Your foot muscles and tendons need time to adapt and strengthen. On work days, I walk around 2-4 miles on NYC pavement, and prefer the feel of a leather sole now. Although they're not so great over cobblestones or smooth marble. And not in the rain...

15. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Would have loved to pick up a pair of Lexington or Clifton, but alas the exchange rate stupid right now.

16. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I think wearing brand new shoes for 12 hours first time out is asking for trouble. Add in the heat and sweat factor...not a good combo.

17. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Just got my green Maritimes, and remembered seeing this a few days ago
    This. One million times this. Gorgeous leather, love the feel on my feet, but this random bump just behind the balls of my feet is bizarre, especially since the fit is sublime otherwise. That said, $77 on shoebank and I'm still happy enough to keep them. Especially since the only defect appears to be stitching on one sole near the heel.

18. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

Quick question gentlemen, has AE changed vendors for their leather recently? Most of my newer (bought a month ago) AEs feel cheaper and crease a lot easier. I have 2 pairs of black park aves, both in 10.5D my older pair (2.5 years) and new ones from Nord sale. The new ones from Nord have crease out like a white sheet of paper after 2 wears. Ill get pics morrow.

19. aero25

aero25 Senior member

Hi all, I just bought my first pair of AE's, McTavish in Tan from Shoebank. Definitely can tell why they are seconds (some irregular leather grain that almost makes it look spider-cracked on the right foot). I'm not overly concerned about it, as it is a casual shoe so some character is good. Is there any kind of care routine I should go through before wearing them? About how often to I need to do maintenance on something like this? Clearly I'm a newb when it comes to nice leather shoes. Thanks!

20. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

Yep, I'm pretty much a size smaller than anybody. Even my kids. That's how I found out about Allen Edmonds years ago. I went into a Macy's shoe department, asked about a pair in 6.5E, and the saleswoman said, "You should go to the Boys' section." Then an older salesman approached me and said, "Forget that woman and these shoes, go to Allen Edmonds." Fifteen years and 30 pairs of AE shoes later . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.