• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Thats good they offered a refund and a tough lesson the in AE quality system. Since for me seeing the no warranty on the sole in the listing I would immediately disregard the "new with box" then set my price limit for the shoes if I thought they looked ok. However not clearly showing the defect is pretty bad.

marvaments

Reaction score
Make sure you get a full refund including return shipping and don't get charged a restocking fee. It may be worth opening an item not as described case if you feel the seller won't handle it properly for you.
Good idea, opened one and posted pictures in case something happens during the process. Thanks.

Quote: Sigh, yeah. I guess this is a lesson learned. What a shame, the shoes were quite nice otherwise.

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They did look pretty good other than that. A shame. I got some Bur. Dundee 2nds and had the welt stitching start to unravel and they put a new sole on it. So it helps to have that warranty.

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Beautiful shoe and I would not be happy with whatever is going on in the front that shoe...seconds I would be ok with not an MTO...AE should be able to fix that I would think just a resole in essence..

Thanks Kahuna. Just exchanged emails with Allison and shell be sending me an international shipping label for the return. Yey! AE customer service at its best.

Scottyb06

Reaction score
MTO, my friend. MTO.

As for chelseas, AE's most recent offerings were the Haight and the Ashbury. The former:

And the latter:

I know the medallion on the Haight turned a lot of people off. And, the Ashbury looks too casual for a chelsea IMO.

I largely agree - I own the Ashbury and it honestly doesn't look like the boot in the photo. The leather isn't as Cole Haan-like or "shiny" as the photo; rather it is more rugged looking. As well, the welt gets dirty or darkens very quickly and very easily. When I eventually need a recrafting I may instead use a Danite sole to change the look to less casual. I like the boot, but again it looks quite a bit different than what's in this photo (at least to my eyes).

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whiskey Wednesday!..... oh wait, wrong thread haha.

I actually wasn't wearing these today but they just showed up at my work so I had to try them on. I am very pleased with the condition of them, they are single soled and have a ton of life in them, the cordovan is supple and seems well taken care of. From the listing on eBay I actually thought they may require a resole soon but that doesn't seem to be the case. I wonder how old they are.

Now the decision to keep these or not might be tough, they seem to fit decent but I have a few other things coming in that might work better for my wardrobe.

Last edited:

Jackboot

Reaction score

Wow that is scary. It is hitch n post. 

'Hitch n post' on eBay seems to have a problem with deceptive listings. I also purchased a pair of shoes from them that were described the same way as yours. After I received them, the defects were easily spotted (and carefully avoided in the photos). I had to pay return shipping to get my money back.

If they get their supply of shoes directly from AE though some sort of official relationship, then AE should think twice about continuing this relationship. "Hitch n post" are a bad seller.

marvaments

Reaction score
'Hitch n post' on eBay seems to have a problem with deceptive listings. I also purchased a pair of shoes from them that were described the same way as yours. After I received them, the defects were easily spotted (and carefully avoided in the photos). I had to pay return shipping to get my money back.

If they get their supply of shoes directly from AE though some sort of official relationship, then AE should think twice about continuing this relationship. "Hitch n post" are a bad seller.
Yeah, guy promised return shipping in an email. I open a case and mention that he had promised return shipping and he's basically "i'm giving you a full refund that should be enough." Oh well, guess I'll only be out the 5-10$ to send it back. Amazed at the lengths the seller is going through not to admit any deception in the listing.

FreedBird

Reaction score

Yeah, guy promised return shipping in an email. I open a case and mention that he had promised return shipping and he's basically "i'm giving you a full refund that should be enough." Oh well, guess I'll only be out the 5-10$ to send it back. Amazed at the lengths the seller is going through not to admit any deception in the listing.

Unbelievable.... I wouldn't be surprised if that seller does over a million a year in sales and he clearly has a pretty sweet setup with Allen Edmonds for his inventory. Bummer that he won't stand up to the product.

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unbelievable.... I wouldn't be surprised if that seller does over a million a year in sales and he clearly has a pretty sweet setup with Allen Edmonds for his inventory. Bummer that he won't stand up to the product.

In stark contrast, Allen Edmonds through Allison, who initially told me she'd give me an international shipping label for the return of my MTO Waldens, did even better. They basically told me to keep the defective shoe for free and they'll send me a remake. Wow! I'm an AE fan for life.

cincikid

Reaction score
In stark contrast, Allen Edmonds through Allison, who initially told me she'd give me an international shipping label for the return of my MTO Waldens, did even better. They basically told me to keep the defective shoe for free and they'll send me a remake. Wow! I'm an AE fan for life.
I guess it just wouldn't pay off for AE to send you a free return international label. It's probably close to the cost of the shoes themselves.

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I agree. International return, fix, then international ship again. Of course I guess they have to ship the new pair as well. Either way. At any rate you could always request to have the remake slightly different. I've seen some where they bought the 2nds then made a change to the remake such as welt color and it totally changed the tone of the shoe.

jabbahursty

Reaction score
it may be a lost cause. i've gone through 50 years of catalogs. there are 3 different lasts and none of the models match up to my model number of 1558 :(

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone here please confirm that the 24" Dawhyde laces on the AE website are the correct replacement laces for the Amok and Mojave chukkas? Got my Mojave 2nd's today (can't see any fault on them at all) and want to switch out the contrast tan laces they came with for dark brown :)

Quoting myself (sorry)...

I just heard back from AE. The Amok and Mojave use the 24" "Basic Glazed" laces, not the 24" Dawhyde. Unfortunately, AE don't seem to have any of the dark brown in stock (they only have them in Alabaster).

Does anyone have an extra pair (or pairs) of 24" basic glazed laces in dark brown? If yes, I would really like to purchase them from you!

Odradek

Reaction score

Walnut AE MacNeils have arrived.
Bought on ebay from "Steve's Name Brand Shoes", they are stamped inside and on the soles with the words "No Warranty", but otherwise seem in fine shape. Look to have been tried on and then returned. No wear at all on the heels.
$130.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads