1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theh00d

theh00d Senior member

Can someone recommend an nice inexpensive dress belt versatile enough to wear w/ chili/walnut/merlot shoes

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  2. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

I think the poplar belts are great!

3. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

I think your 678 vs 511G typo kind of threw people a little bit [​IMG] - surprised billy bob didn't jump all over you for it. Anyway, definitely agree with pepper - the 511G is pretty narrow. Was going to suggest getting the 511G in half a size up in case you haven't tried that already.

4. P12OFIT

P12OFIT Senior member

The shoes look good, especially for the price you paid. Fit is tricky for your first pair and I learned the hard way that you cannot rely on a brannock or the printable chart to size yourself properly. The first pair of Allen Edmonds I bought were black Park Avenues. I measured myself on a brannock and tried on a few sizes in a local store that stocked AE as I did not have an AE store near me. I measured between 8.5D and 8.5E on the brannock (or so I thought). I ordered the 8.5E and wore them a few times. They felt a little tight but I read that they should "break in". After wearing the shoes a few times and eventually starting a new job in NYC, I thought something was off and my feet began to hurt so I went to an AE store. I asked to be sized and found out that a combination of my wide arches and short toes meant that I should be wearing a 10D. The SA really helped me out (I sent an email to corporate and will forever order through her) and the 10D PAs I have now are the most comfortable dress shoe I have ever owned. If you have the opportunity, I'd recommend going to an AE store to be sized. As for the heels feeling slightly loose, I thought the same but once broken in a lot of that goes away. My SA tells me to fit the ball, not the heel.

1 person likes this.
  5. colco

colco Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

^
    Nice to see these in the wild. Handsome shoes -- I'll be picking up pair myself now that I've gotten a look at them. Thanks!

7. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

8. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

The grain 2.0s are awesome! Almost bought a pair myself before #8 1.0s fell into my lap last weekend. Really well-executed shoe right there.

9. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

10. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

It's a shame the new MacNeils and Leeds don't have the welt wheeling.

11. delongej26

delongej26 Member

Picked up these lexingtons 2nds in bourbon. Awesome deal at $157

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  12. colco

colco Senior member

@smfdoc It is the macneil 2.0

@losrockets if I could buy this in a black, and oxblood grain, with the same dainite I'd never have to buy another pair of shoes. Fucking love the toughness of the dainite and pebblegrain.

1 person likes this.
  13. dsk321

dsk321 Member

any feedback on the poron insoles over the traditional leather in the 2.0 lines? Is it the same insole thats on the gobis?

14. vmss

vmss Senior member

Is that the route Allen Edmonds is heading too? Slowly but surely going from leather insoles to poron insoles?

15. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Stopped by on Saturday and I really liked the brown grain options in the MacNeil and First Ave boot. Tried on the First Ave and had me thinking about picking up a pair. The only issue is the cap is so long I'm afraid of creasing in the cap. Anyone have experience with them yet?

16. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Yes. I've had mine (MTO in Oxblood calf) since last December. They do crease in the toe cap. It's not the best design. It should be reinforced all the way to the cap toe stitch but alas, it is not.

17. JLnoir

JLnoir Senior member

My new AE Porlands in the flesh :
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. gatszu

gatszu Senior member

First ave cordovan with creases on captoe
    [​IMG]

19. fairlynerdy

fairlynerdy Senior member

Awesome photo!

2 people like this.
  20. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

So, in standard Styleforum tradition: one of each! :happy:

What I had in mind was something that could be more of a chance of rain-ish shoe for fall, hence, rougher and darker. Two of my five (stone suede McGregors and Burgundy shell Cambridges) I don't even consider if there's a chance of rain in the forecast. My walnut Black Hills with the mini lug I won't worry much about, so the Brooks Aberdeen most closely matches that. The rest are Bob's chili Bleeckers and Bourbon Randolphs, so looking at the closet, I'm not sure why I'm thinking to go darker; it's medium to dark anyway. Which would point me towards the McTavish. Haven't really looked at a double oak sole up close. Does it stand up? The odd duck is the golden Rush St. The dainite sole and CXL I saw in person is a good combo for the office and the chance of precip, but I'm secretly holding out my captoe balmoral slot for a cordovan Strand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.