1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TLHouston

TLHouston Active Member

Got to see the Independence Collection Strand today!
    It's got another name but I can't recall it.

[​IMG]

2. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

Public Service Announcement:

Shoe trees are now on sale at JAB for $15 a pair.

1 person likes this.
  3. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

This is why we shouldn't be referencing our size in certain lasts. We should be referencing our Brannock size, a standard, especially when some people take the 65 last in Brannock or down half a size and up a width from Brannock.

Doesn't sounds like a good deal....

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  4. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

eh, not sure I agree. Brannock is 2 dimensional only while some lasts (or certainly shoes) take into account at least 3 dimensions (or the 3rd dimension at different points)

I just know this from being misfit on ski boots for years and years until somebody finally figured out that I my foot was thicker than normal at a couple points

5. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Some really good feedback on the Gobi - I think I have a reasonable idea where to start at least. I'm down a half size from brannock in all lasts so I wasn't sure how low to go. Sometimes 6.5Es are even to big.

6. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

I agree with you that shoe fitting is not limited to two dimensions, but as a starting point using a reference that is arbitrary makes it hard to gauge.

We should start with Brannock and go with more specificity from there.

1 person likes this.
  7. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Took off today, so I'm fighting the heat in some Maritimes. Love the fit and comfort (after having a couple of pairs with significant humps in the footbed). My only beef is that these and my Kirkwoods discolor my socks or feet. Hasn't improved with more wears either.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Love the golden brown, I saw a pair in my size at the shoebank I might need to grab. I love my pair in Navy, they don't discolour my feet as they are natural leather coloured on the inside. They have been my go-to casual shoe this summer.

9. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Interesting. My blue Kirkwoods are way worse then the Golden Maritimes.

10. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Add me to the list of Bick 4 fans! My Dundees have always been on the dry side, even straight from the factory, and while I've applied VSC twice in the ~ 6 months I've owned them, they've still always been the driest shell I own.

Bick 4 was easy to apply and remove, and seems to have nourished the shell very well. I always apply product sparingly, and could probably have used more than I did, but it still left behind a killer shine after the requisite, fervent post-product brushing.

[​IMG]

I hope everyone's week is going well, as always!

1 person likes this.
  11. Al Dente

Al Dente Senior member

Yes! But only three here. I like my other pairs but the Daltons still bring some excitement.

12. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

The sun is setting on seersucker/spectators this season. Maybe once more after today.

Heritage MTO

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. CGKIII

CGKIII Well-Known Member

$15/pair is still a bit much, doubt we'll see $8-$9 again, but I'm holding out for $10 or better.

I counted recently and have over 30 pairs...of AE...wingtips...but still have at least one hole that I plan on filling if we get a trunk show this year (Natural Shell Dalton).

14. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Wondering where I fit in among the AE connoisseurs, I decided to do an inventory of my AE shoes:

- Ashland - 10E (my first pair, my second pair and subsequent pairs come 12 years after)
    - Banchory grey
    - Dundee shell
    - Dundee 2.0 brown calf
    - McAllister Bourbon
    - Dalton Bourbon
    - Leeds brown calf - 10E
    - MacNeil 2.0 Chili
    - PA brown calf
    - McTavish Tan
    - Gobi Snuff Suede
    - Amok sand suede - should have sized up width wise to E, but managed to stretched it by inserting XL shoe trees in them.

Unless otherwise stated, they are all 10D.

15. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

No idea right now, but I ordered on the flash sale over the 4th of july (the one on the main site) and it took a while. I think the third day after I ordered I got shipping confirmation.

I still haven't gotten an email back form my inquiries a couple days ago, which are in Port Washington. They're probably dealing with a good deal of traffic with the sale, is my guess, so you'll have to be a little patient.

As for my attempts to get shoes, I called a couple more times and got voice mail every one. No response to my email, so I think I'm taking the other advice in the forum and calling Ben tomorrow. Glad to know any outlet can help, as the Port Washington store is the main one, is it not? Probably a different vibe there.

16. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Good work. Bick 4 is great.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  17. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@Moose22, Ben's there alone on Fri. If it goes to the machine, call back. He'll be happy to talk to you.

18. smoothmoose

smoothmoose Senior member

Happy to be patient. It's just my first time ordering from Shoe Bank (AE for that matter) and when I talked to the CS rep on Monday to place my order he said I should get my shoes by this Friday or Monday. Got the email invoice, but crickets on the shipping notification.

19. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

The finish looks great. Need to find a reason to try them on :)

20. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

@rc121 @Neo1 Re: suede Gobi sizing. I'm 9.5 on the brannock but 10D fits me just right on the 65 last. Tried the suede Gobi earlier this year. 10D were swimming on me. We tried a 9.5D and my big toe was just poking the front of the shoe. I probably needed a 10C but don't think they made 'em in that width. So I had to pass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.