1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DNSamurai

DNSamurai Senior member

There is currently a pair of Truffle Shell McGraws in my size on Shoebank. The only other loafer I've tried is the Patriot, which was impossible to get my foot in without going up 2-3 size from my normal size.

Are the McGraws more accommodating of a wide foot (EEE) with a high instep?

Thanks.

2. smoothmoose

smoothmoose Senior member

Highly depends on your work and travel itinerary. I am adamant in fitting everything in a carry-on and also like to go for a run and/or hit the gym. So I'm packing gym clothes and trainers as well. No room for trees or another pair of shoes. I agree with getting wearing versatile jacket. But some client/work environments requires a full suit and tie and that does make packing a single suit/jacket more challenging.

3. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

New AE website, it seems. Looks good.

4. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Won't load for me at all.

5. bathiel

bathiel Senior member

It's a new last. Fits a lot like the Franciscan and University. I went down a half size from my regular 8.5 and it fits really well.

1 person likes this.
  6. smoothmoose

smoothmoose Senior member

Thanks. I just ordered my first AE Park Ave on Monday, so I have no idea about relative fit. In general, I tend to have a wider ball and toe box requirement, average instep, and average to slightly narrow heel.

But I found this on the Q&A on the Cornwallis page and this seems to be encouraging. Now if I buy 2 pairs of shoes in a week, I have some explaining to do with my wife and concede she can add 4 new times to her collection.... :embar:

7. SimplyStylin

SimplyStylin Senior member

I tried on the Cornwallis the other day, it's really a beautiful shoe.. one of the nicest AE's I've seen.

It was a bit tight on the top of my arch though (maybe i have too high of an instep for them?), couldn't buy it on the spot but I really want to try one more time.

Anyone else get this experience on the new last?

8. Shoes4play

Shoes4play Senior member

Walton Wednesday

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Senior member

I also adhere to a strict carry-on only policy. Typical load in my roller bag looks something like this:

- Second pair of 'dress' shoes with trees (i.e. AEs. I try to travel with shoes that can be dressed up or down for flexibility).
    - Running shoes.
    - Workout clothes
    - Socks, underwear, night clothes, pocket squares, bow/neck ties.
    - Second jacket.
    - Pants. My rule of thumb is 2 wears per pair with at least 1 day between wearings.
    - Button down shirts - 1 wearing each.
    - Casual shirt(s) - optional and usually left out.

Toiletries and a sweater go in my briefcase. Toiletries are there so I can load/unload them at the same time as my laptop at security and the sweater is there for easy access on cold flights.

I wear more odd jacket/trouser combos than full suits, but this arrangement has served me well either way. I've gone on 10 day trips, without checking bags and with a second pair of shoes. I'm not saying it has to be done this way, merely pointing out it's possible.

10. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

Interesting. Which colors? What size did you get, compared to the 65 last? I've been looking for something to knock around in. My old pre-AE era J&M slip ons are really getting worse. They're relegated to dog walking duty in the morning wet grass now. :confused:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  11. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Looking seriously on some AE boat shoes on the shoebank. Was there some kind of loafer sale last fall as the weather turned? Want to wait, but getting that itch...

12. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    My vote, for what its worth, is for the chili. In my rotation, I am just finding the chili goes better with more colors. The only time I think the bourbon walnut section of the closet is better is with very light gray slacks. Then I think the chili is a bit too much contrasts. Just a personal opinion, but you asked.

1 person likes this.
  13. newuser123

newuser123 Active Member

Never did toiletries in briefcase. I will give your pack list a try on my next trip and see if I can fit it. To bring this discussion back on topic, you say you like to travel with AE shoes that can be dressed up or down. What two-shoe combos do you recommend? I am a newbie and looking to expand my collection, but would like to maintain as much flexibility as possible.

14. BoxSRS60

BoxSRS60 Well-Known Member

I'm not arguing, just honestly curious. A recrafting wouldn't/couldn't fix that? I understand that they take the shoes apart and rebuild them on the last. Or is the leather like metal that's gotten a crease and is now too deformed to go back?

15. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I would recommend reading up on the past few pages. There were a few folks who asked about versatile models, and their questions garnered several good suggestions.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  16. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

No one is arguing....???
    Creases like that just never go away.

17. BoxSRS60

Just got my first pair of shoes from the Independence line. I'd been eyeing the closeout Jeffersons on shoebank for a while. I wanted a new pair of black shoes, and I really wanted a pair of shoes in Walnut. I watched them and watched them until they disappeared from shoebank. I told my wife about them and she said "if they were that good a deal, you should have bought them."

Bummer! Well, I did a random "drive-by" on shoebank the other day and saw that there was both a black pair and a walnut pair back on shoebank at $199. So I immediately called the missus, and she said "order them both and then you can pick the best one." I ordered both, and we were both thinking that I would end up keeping both. Hey, it was my birthday after all.

When they arrived, I tried them. The black pair was practically, cosmetically perfect. I think I found the "flaw", a small gouge at the edge of the welt at the heal, but besides the cosmetic flaw, they fit more like a 10 1/2 D than a 10 1/2 E. The laces don't close up as nicely as I'd like. The Walnut pair has some uneven coloring, but it's nothing that I can't live with and the fit is fantastic so I'm keeping those. I'm pretty bummed that I'm not keeping the black pair.

I'd posted months back asking about the difference between the Independence and regular shoes. The description seems to indicate a different sole and lining. Well, the sole and lining are very nice, but it seems like that's not the only difference. The leather for the upper on these is like butter. These shoes are quite a bit more comfortable than my other AEs which is saying something.

I still need to get a pair of something in cordovan to compare to my other shoes and see what all of the fuss is about, but I do love these Jeffersons!

PS I then realized that I need a walnut belt, so I ordered one from Beth in Jeffersonville. Well, what's the point in ordering something and not getting the free shipping? So I also ordered a pair of the closeout MacNeils in black calf. Hopefully, I'm happy with the fit and I get to give them a good home.

18. BoxSRS60

Some folks online get testy if they think that you've "questioned" them, so I like to add a disclaimer to make sure there are no misunderstandings.

Not that I'd ever buy a pair of shoes like that, but I was curious. Thanks

19. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

PSA: there is a brand new a pair of Daltons in Walnut Shell in 9.5D on the bay. They are seconds. Too bad they are too small for me.

20. miketheraven

miketheraven Member

It's a brand new pair of the new Normandy boots that I got for under $100. So even if they can't be fixed, I'm still satisfied with my purchase. I was simply hoping someone knew a way to minimize the look of the creases, though I know completely removing them is impossible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.