1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DGY1atTMW

DGY1atTMW Well-Known Member

Well, you will now [​IMG]

2. DGY1atTMW

DGY1atTMW Well-Known Member

Would agree with the other responses in general: Lexington, Rogue, Kenilworth - in some shade of brown/chili - point being I want a blucher, solely because when you're trying to present the more "casual" look, you don't need the "sleekness" of a balmoral....to whit, even something like the old Walnut grain/BB Chili grain MacNeil wouldn't be too far out there....or if you're more the Fashionista, what about a Mora/Franciscan in a brownish hue? A little dressier than a bal, but still not exactly one's black PA's.

....sorry, I really wasn't trying to open that whole blucher vs bal debate, honestly...just my opinion

But hey, I will say I'm happy to see some people still see "business casual" as meaning something better than your dressy-est golf shorts and cleanest dirty shirt. [​IMG]

Sorry, but I hate the whole notion of today's incarnation of "business casual"

3. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

So... the Normandy boot. These... look.... awful. Just sayin.

[​IMG]

4. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I have a feeling that like other B34 lasted boots AE's photos will make it worse than it is. I thought the Odenwald was terrible until I saw it in person and now it is one of my favorites. I am not a fan the of the heel stitching on this and wish it were a true heel cap. Also KUDU is such a cool leather that I wish they would not have done the distressing to it.

I would have loved to MTO this in something though ..the heel does limit some cool suede/leather combo's though

5. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

I tend to agree with the other comments posted here. Since you already own two dressy bals (ya, ya, I know walnut isn't as dressy but it still works with lighter suits, imo) I'd consider either a blucher and/or a weather shoe.

Are there any Kenis left in your size? What about Bleecker boots? Some just suggested the new 1st Ave boot that just came out. A monk strap of some type would work. Maybe the new Cornwallis. Or something in dainite...

6. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Laszlo Vass says to put shoe trees in and keep 'em in. Speaking for myself, that's all I need to know.

7. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:That's how I roll. A pair of trees for every pair of shoes. If my feet aren't in the shoes, the trees are.

1 person likes this.
  8. shoelover

shoelover Senior member

[​IMG]

#8 MacNeil today. Love these shoes.

1 person likes this.
  9. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Those look great - nice color on them.

10. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Thanks for the thoughts, @Count de Monet . Yes, those are the AEs currently in my closet. I have a few non-AE staples (black & brown cap toes, lug soled boot, super casual boat shoes) that see some occasional wear.

I love the Clark Streets. They look so much better in person. And that CXL! I see these as some of my most casual shoes, along with the Amok and Gobi chukkas - so they are usually only paired with jeans or super casual chinos. As far as the loafers, I've never really been a loafer guy. Just not really my cup of tea (though I am starting to come around in regards to more casual loafers). I just don't see myself pairing loafers (no matter how nice or dressy) and suit/near suit attire.

A darker color LWB might be the answer! Burg McNeil sans black edging... where are you?!

11. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Looking good! This *may* have had a *slight* influence on my post above.

12. garland

garland Senior member

80, 120 grit sand paper, 20 mins, and some chili edge dressing. :) Or pay the $40 SMU fee and have a pair built with the edge color that you want!

13. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

True. True.

14. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

EX - CEPT

What about the welt? It remains black?

15. shoelover

shoelover Senior member

I love wearing them. They have listened a little since they were purchased. I hope they lighten to a more red color and I will have them recrafted with a natural welt. Then they will be perfect.

16. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

I've done this in the past but the chilli edge dressing really comes off easily, this isn't the case on a factory finished edge.

17. oowtfmate

oowtfmate Active Member

My first pair of AE - Clifton in Walnut. It's getting a little orange as I polish it but I think they look great for being seconds and over a year after it's first recraft.

[​IMG]

18. Allen Dreadmon

Allen Dreadmon Senior member

It appears Shoebank has sale pricing right now. Is this the Labor Day sale pricing or can I expect further discounts? Thx.

19. newuser123

newuser123 Active Member

Anyone have the cornwallis? Do they work with jeans? I'm thinking brown burnished as a good shoe that at I can wear while traveling for work--dark wash jeans and sport coat on the plane and then wear with any number of suits. I only travel with one pair of shone's and currently use my bourbon MacGregors but want to try a balmoral if possible.

If not the cornwallis I am considering the Strand in brown as well. Definitely want something with a toe medallion. Any thoughts would be appreciated. (Note I have the macgregors, dark chili daltons and black Jeffersons so I have enough wingtips for now, and don't particularly like the Park/5th aves).

20. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Senior member

As in you've got the same pair of shoes on several days in a row? I'd highly recommend traveling with a second pair so you can rest one pair (with trees of course) each day. It will make a big difference in their longevity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.