1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

So, as neo likes to mention, the RL Sanderson is my favorite AE-made shoe. I own a pair in brown and a pair in tan (walnut). Recently, I had the opportunity to get another pair in tan/walnut for a steal (a pair of "thirds" from dabondo in pristine condition except for a very minor superficial cut in the leather near the right medial shoe where it meets the welt). So now I have two pairs, and this second pair has a v-tread outsole, so I considered making them "beater" nice shoes. However, having them in my hands, I had another thought . . . they seem every so barely darker color than the pair I already have (still walnut, but a hair darker perhaps). I have plenty of chili premium polish (classic chili, not bob's). I've considered trying to darken them a bit with chili hues using that polish.

Has anyone here used chili polish on walnut shoes?

edit: I just saw that @smfdoc has done it on his Rogues.

Got any pics of them, smfdoc?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  2. BackInTheJox

AE's old "cognac" color polish is pretty much spot on for their current walnut color. Looks identical, no orange undertones. Unfortunately it's hard to find, but if you do, jump on it.

Otherwise, I alternate that with neutral AE polish.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  3. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

The old cognac was/is perfect for AE walnut. I've been alternating my last tube with Saphir's lightest brown/tan. But when this tube is gone, it's gone. I have no idea why AE ever dropped it.[​IMG]

4. shoetree

shoetree Senior member

Thanks for your reply. I got a chance to stop into AE today and the salesman told me they (northland) run small and not to size down as I normally would for a loafer. I went TTS and they are still fairly tight. I expect they will break in nicely.

5. HealthActuary

HealthActuary Senior member

yes a 65 last shoe, specifically the mcallister.

my strand and park ave in the same size as the mcallister have no issues with the footbed and they fit like a glove.

the lump/bump in the right footbed of the mcallister is definitely a defect that cant be caught via QC. Gotta wait another 3 weeks now :(

6. tharkun

tharkun Senior member

What if I'm already 3E? I have never tried a 65 last shoe but would certainly like to have more options. I'll need boots soon too ;). Maybe you know the Leeds and can compare a bit?

I have 8.5 3E Leeds (511 last). That one still hurt the right pinky quite a bit at first but its getting better with wear. I wouldn't want to go up to 9 though as my left foot is a size smaller, which means the 8 I tried first was already too big. Now the 511 is said to already have more space. Would that make me a 9 to 9.5 3E in the 65 just to get the same space? Or would the length of the 65 last make up for it? I can't just go try it, since there's no AE store around here and the affiliate I contacted has no 3Es.

7. fairlynerdy

fairlynerdy Senior member

+1 to garland's comments on the first Aves. I've handled them in person several times and will definitely be picking them up during the RDA sale. It's on a fairly sleek last but still a derby boot, so can be dressed down. You could go with one of the grain leathers if you want to dress it down further.

8. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Lol - just wanted to mention that after all of your posts related to the maritime and how you ended up with like 6 pairs I finally caved - I'll let you know which color I end up with [​IMG]. I never wear boat shoes...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  9. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Yes, it's necessary for each pair.

10. oowtfmate

oowtfmate Active Member

That's interesting. I've been hearing mixed thoughts on this.

11. BackInTheJox

Haha. When all was said and done I ended up with 2 Maritimes and 1 Kirkwood.

12. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

13. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

@garland is the Kudu on the Normandy from Horween?

14. oowtfmate

oowtfmate Active Member

Recently polished my Merlot McAllisters. These are one of my favorite pairs of shoes. Unfortunately, the right side of the left shoe digs into my ankle when I walk around. But they're just too nice to get rid of.

[​IMG]

15. garland

garland Senior member

Ummm. I have no idea lol. I'll see if I can figure it out, but I doubt it.

16. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

1 person likes this.
  17. oowtfmate

oowtfmate Active Member

I see your point. My thinking is that once the moisture is out, the shoe is less likely to change shape and stretch. So I feel as if there is a marginal benefit to having the tree inside the shoe past the time necessary to get the moisture out. But regardless, I'm waiting for the next sale on woodlore shoe trees to pick up some more. JAB hasn't had a good sale in a while.

18. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Senior member

Are there any Portland boots left in your size? I picked up a pair of seconds for $127 recently and see them filling a similar role as the Bleecker Street. Here's a pic of my first pass building up a shine on the heels and toes.

[​IMG]

19. JLnoir

JLnoir Senior member

What color polish

20. Nick V.

Nick V. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Try inserting a pair of heel pads. They will raise your heel alleviating the irritated area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.