1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. althanis

althanis Senior member

Spent the afternoon calling around the outlets. The 8.5D merlot Park Avenue is actually really bad, and they wouldn't advise selling them to anyone.

I called a few places about the Lexgintons in the same size, and many of them have bad streaking.

Tomorrow I'll see what the discounts are and take a look. Good luck everyone.

2. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Thanks for the link @garland. My initial thought was, pull out the box of shoe care products and get to work. But then I worried about the polish/dyes rubbing off. Figured I consult the experts here before jumping in.

Do you know, does that Dry Wolf belt come in a burnished/Bob's chili color? If so, any chance mine is walnut and was mislabeled?

3. JLnoir

JLnoir Senior member

I'm trying to find them in my size only one place and their firsts for $316 how do you like them?

4. garland

garland Senior member

The Dry Wolf only came in the black and chili that I'm aware of. I can dig into it tomorrow.

5. nnjacob

nnjacob Member

That's a great deal. I know walnut Strands get a lot of love on this forum, but I like my oxblood pair at least as much:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Re. the Aberdeen. I have these and they are a great rain/snow inclement weather shoe for me. The upper leather is oil infused so it beads off the the water nicely. Also, the commando soles are great for rain/snow. Here's an old pic:

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  7. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

8. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I noticed several pairs at our Rack the other day as well...

9. JLnoir

JLnoir Senior member

I just ordered the AE Portlands. I had to email 8 stores across the country to find my size but finally found one and their firsts and I got them for $316 with free shipping. Now my question is what shoe cream and polish should I get for them. Their in bourbon calf.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  10. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

65 last shoe by any chance? A few of mine do that in the left foot but I've accepted it because my left is difficult to fit as it's 1/2 longer than my right so I figured maybe I get the lump in that shoe because it's not the ideal size for that foot.

11. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

I have the Mora in bourbon and brown and they are probably my favorite AE shoes. They fit great and I get lots of compliments.

12. biggieshellz

biggieshellz New Member

I have a quick question on this. I'm looking at buying a pair of AE for Brooks Brothers Strands from the shoe bank as my first pair of AE. I got fitted at the Allen Edmonds store in town, and they said that I'm a 9.5C in shoes that are available in that width, and a 10B in ones that aren't. I've also read elsewhere that the shoes with the Poron insoles are a tighter fit. For those of you who have tried them, would you recommend that I adjust my size? If so, would I adjust the width (i.e. moving up to a 9.5D) or the size (i.e. moving up to a 10C)? Thanks!

13. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

My Kirkwoods got some good wear this weekend. Great looking and pretty comfy. Unfortunately, one shoe developed 2 heavy creases (coincidentally, the one that was obviously tried on?) while the other still looks brand new. Perhaps worse, they turned my feet blue. Eeeek!

14. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

Ouch! Sorry to hear that about the merlot PA as I just bought them. Oh well, we will see what they look like when they arrive. It's unlikely that they ALL have finish issues, so maybe a good one will slip through to me.

15. DGY1atTMW

DGY1atTMW Well-Known Member

FWIW - there are certainly others here with more exp. than me, but....

Once upon a time I thought I wore an 8.5D..first 5-last pair of PA's are too tight in the toebox, and the V-gap is huge.

so for my Strandmoks - which also have a Poron insole - I went to an 8.5E to accommodate the insole...they're much more comfortable for sure, but if anything not quite as snug as I would like - although very very wearable, they are definitely a little long, like most 5-last shoes.

Moral is: I say you go + width, as I find the 5-last narrow, but DEF not + length...

Indeed, if you CAN, I'd try BOTH a 9D and a 9.5D

Oh, and I'm now certain I am an 8E in the 65's...:)

16. DGY1atTMW

I live in a small Maritime city, where "fashion" is largely defined as your cleanest dirty shirt...

...and my burnished Chili Moras are still always the shoe that gets me the most compliments.

17. biggieshellz

biggieshellz New Member

Thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards a 9.5D right now, or maybe buying both the C and the D and eating the return fee on one of them.

The PAs I tried on in the store were 9.5C, and they fit well -- the V-gap was pretty reasonable, and would hopefully close a bit as I wear in the shoes.

As far as trying a 9D, my feet are funny in that they're right around a 9 in length, but the heel-to-ball is a 10 on one foot and a 10.5 on the other. The 9.5 seems to be a good compromise.

18. DGY1atTMW

then definitely the 9.5D IMO - I never wanna add length on the 65 last personally

Oh, and on this forum, none of us have Funny feet; "unique" yes, but never "funny" [​IMG]

19. keepsake89

keepsake89 Senior member

I'm going to order these tomorrow:
    [​IMG]

What do you guys think?
    Does anybody know of any promo code for AE as of right now?

20. garland

garland Senior member

First day in my new (to me) Marlow's. These were produced in 1992 from what I can find. These came in so dark burgundy they were almost black.

Ended up stripping them to an almost cherry red and redying them with cordovan, green, and mahogany leather dye, mixed in with healthy doses of saphir navy shoe cream. Hard to tell with artificial lighting, but I'm thrilled with the depth of color they have now.

[​IMG]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.