Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I have two thoughts on this:

1. the apparent unevenness might be due to the double sole being very stiff. It might reshape itself over time as the soles break in
    2. to me, it seems that heel replacement is a minor job for a good cobbler. Even if the heel is a defect, I'd be inclined to keep the shoes, as cordovan macneils are not easy to come by at a seconds price, and then have them repaired if it really bothers me.

Just my two cents. I'll check mine when I'm home one night and see how they look - also shell MacNeil seconds, still not worn outside.

2. UglyJoe

UglyJoe Well-Known Member

No problem!

3. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

All my AE's, except for the Seven Collection, have this raised heel issue. I've read before that AE is aware of this problem and plans to correct it.

4. mystix

mystix Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input KMD and Jubei, I had a feeling that it was somewhat normal because a few sole pics that I search online also had this “defect”. I still thought it was weird that it was so exaggerated but it should even out over time.

I would’ve let this defect slide regardless as I live in Toronto and it would have been a great hassle returning them. I have a feeling that these are factory first and not seconds. The sole does not have a shoe engraved into the sole like my other 2 pairs of seconds.

I am loving allen Edmonds, these will be my 3rd pair in 3months.

5. mb6c

mb6c Active Member

These look awesome

6. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

I'm sure that AE would make good on that by giving you a new pair. However, if you've gotten attached to them, a cobbler can fix them. I had a similar problem with some old AEs and he ended up shaving them down so they wouldn't rock as much. it was about $5-10, if I remember correctly.

7. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

That's what I was thinking. I have found similar issues with a few of mine, but it never bothered me. I would prefer the front of the heel be a little lower rather than the back of the heel (the back of the heel being lower causes the shoes to exhibit some of the bowing out at the sides that is sometimes seen and complained about).

It will definitely even out over time - I would not worry about it. Congrats on your purchase! 3 pair in 3 months is a good streak.

Here are mine today: Black calf Graysons. (not shell, but extremely comfortable and very nice fitting).
    [​IMG]

8. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Kids today and their shoes * * * shakes head in disbelief * * * Grumpy old man rant aside, I'm only 40 and cannot imagine any occasion where I would wear red wingtips or black/red wingtips. Then again, it's been a long time (and three kids) since I regularly hit the bars and other nightlife spots.

9. BFBFB

BFBFB Well-Known Member

You know what's nice about these AE's is they both come with alternate non-constrasting laces that allow the shoes to be toned down if so desired.

I sell designer eyewear and spend a lot of time in trendy boutiques in multiple cities.

I don't have to wear a suit - Ever = These are perfect.

Interestingly, I'm only a few years younger than you.

There is no right or wrong, simply different point of views/lifestyles/style.

Bottom line is these are GREAT shoes and I'm quite pleased with the AE quality in comparison to the Gucci shoes I had worn for the past few years.

Post on shoe whores....

10. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

39 here, also with 3 kids, and I'd rock either of these. Nicely done.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

What would you wear them with?

12. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Handsewn is the construction of the uppers. Goodyear welted is how the sole is attached to the upper. So a shoe can be handsewn and Goodyear welted - which is what the Kenwood is.

Chris

13. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

LOL I'm 53 with 2 kids and finally moved one of them out two weeks ago. I am single and could see wearing either of those shoes after work and for dating. Took a lady friend with me to the AE store a couple of hours away from here last month. The first thing she did was walk over to a pair of those Red Neumok's, picked them up and said "Wow!" I had to agree but have a few other shoes to add to the collection first. Nicely done indeed.

14. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

Jeans, chinos, mostly. I have the black McTavish and they're more versatile than I expected.

15. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

The black and red ones remind me of the first Air Jordans when I was a kid, but sounds like I'm in the minority on this one. Then again, I'm usually in Chukkha boots or tennis shoes when I'm in jeans and only wear chino's a few times in the Summer. Enjoy the shoes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.