1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeathandTaxes

DeathandTaxes Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

While these go with nothing I am wearing today, I just got them and had to put them on - a pair of Harrisons I just received from the outlet for $127! They look so good and for that price I feel like I'm stealing.

2 people like this.
  2. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

You're not alone. We just don't get to provide input on these pictures.

1 person likes this.
  3. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Got my Kirkwoods in size 12E and 13D - love the shoe but neither are great fit....ugh and double ugh..I really like this cross between beefroll and boatshoe. May try a 12eee and 13B just to see if I can dial this in.

4. djclicktrak

djclicktrak New Member

New to style forum and enjoying all the appreciation for Allen Edmonds I'm some what new to Allen Edmonds I own two pairs a walden in black and a cavanaugh in oxblood. I have had very good experiences with Allen Edmonds and there amazing customer service. I have a question that hopefully you all can help me with. Ok so I have two pairs of loafers both of which have padded heels and some what of an arch support. I have noticed that shoes that have the original insole " leather insoles" Look pretty much flat. After wearing and the cork footbed molding to my foot will it create a mold of my foot and in theory have the arch support that my foot naturally has or will the leather insole stay flat in the arch area. I need some advice before I jump in and get something that will not work. Any advice would be helpful thanks

5. DeathandTaxes

I was having a similar problem with finding a proper fit on the Kirkwoods (tried 10D and 10E) and decided to compromise and just get the Maritimes (in 9.5 E). I hope the ability to control the tightness of the lacing will help alleviate the issues I was having with fit.

6. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

7. CMR16

CMR16 Active Member

Yeah I feel you. I really like my pair but they suck fit wise.

8. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Has anyone seen the new Cornwallis and Yorktown that have been showing up on the Shoebank? I saw Paul said the Cornwallis is his new favorite, can anyone describe them or post pics?

Also, someone buy the Black Cordovan Fifth Streets in 10E before I talk myself into it even though that's not a great size for me. Especially since a shell dress boot is just all sorts of a contradiction.

9. CMR16

CMR16 Active Member

I've never been a big fan of the park as it has never really appealed to me. Would the University, Vernon or flat iron be good alternatives?

10. CMR16

CMR16 Active Member

Is the Maxfield or Cody not a formal, funeral type loafer? Sadly none of the black lace-ups woo me like they do in colors like bourbon, etc.

11. DeathandTaxes

I am just constantly in a search for loafers that fit my foot properly (high-ish instep with otherwise low volume flat feet that run slightly wide and have a narrow heel). The only loafers I have ever found that fit perfectly without alteration are my AE Riminis (from their Italian collection and discontinued).

I had a pair of the AE Port Washington boat shoes in 10D and I found they were too snug in width (I plan to list them on eBay tonight), but these Kirkwoods seem to fit longer; hence, my sizing down.

I didn't even realize that AE limited its boat shoe type of shoes to whole sizes - that complicates things even further. Best of luck to you.

12. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Don't knock the PAs, they're one of my favs[​IMG]
    Those alternatives you listed kind of have a lot going on for a funeral....id say harrisons would be your best bet. I totally wanted to say baton rouge and be an asshole but decided to play nice.

13. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

The Kirkwood discussion had me chuckling a little bit - I tried them in both browns in my 65 size and they actually fit better than any other boat shoe out there, but I hated how they looked.

14. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@DeathandTaxes - Riminis, awesome. Check out the arezzo - to big for me but might work for you. Also the Patriot/ascher, but you might need an E in those.

1 person likes this.
  15. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Welcome to the forum. The foot bed should compress and mold to your feet. I'm no expert but I'm sure it would be hard to say since it depends on how much arch support you would need. When switching to shoes with leather insoles it took my feet awhile to get used to and actually stronger to support my body weight.

If you like the padded support, AE makes a few versions with padded insoles. You can also look at Brooks Brothers models which have padded insoles. There are also leather wedges for arch support that you can also get.

I would recommend to let the shoes break in to see if you need additional arch support. You can accelerate the break in by wearing them a few times in door.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  16. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

12E is my 65 last blucher and it is just to small - I wish AE would just take my pair of Sebago Handsewn USA's and copy the exact pattern. I love the CXL leather AE is using so was hoping to get a great fit and live with the slightly off pattern for my taste.

17. djclicktrak

djclicktrak New Member

Thanks young sweet appreciate it I kind of get that I just need to dive in and try it and if all else fells put an additional support in there thanks man

18. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

^^^^
    I don't believe that's correct, unless they dropped half sizes right after my Maritimes in 10.5 E arrived last month. Perhaps you were only referring to the ones made in Port Washington.

By the way, regarding loafers, part of the AE mission statement is to swiftly discontinue any loafer liked by folks with high insteps.

19. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

Thanks for posting those. Always nice to see some in the wild photos. I like the contrast of the stitching at the sole and the sole itself to the leather color. I've got a feeling my next pair will be on the casual side and these are near the top of the list. Another contender is the Mctavish, which I may have mistakenly referred to as "clown shoes" in the past. :embar: The casualness of it is growing on me, even though I didn't like the double sole at first. Might have to go check them out in person.

20. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

Isn't that what this whole thread is about?
    Send 'em back. Not enough holes. :crackup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.