1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

[​IMG]

The many shades of burgundy shell.... bottom right is the newest finish.

2. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

[​IMG]

Another pic of new finish vs old finish

1 person likes this.
  3. round

round Senior member

Fit pic:

[​IMG]

I really need to buy pants.

4. ircfas133

ircfas133 Senior member

Gentlemen:

Really need your insights here for potential defects on the AE PA in merlot I got on close-out sales.

The Allen Edmonds Park Avenue in Merlot I ordered has creases on the shoe before I was able to try them on first. The pictures below show the right side of the left shoe; the same is true for the left side of the right shoe. The outward sides of the shoes have no such problem though. I tried to get a product replacement, but AE no longer makes merlot in my size anymore. I got this pair at around $ 230 on close-out sales, but this pair was not labeled as "second". So here is some of my questions in deciding whether to keep this one:

Question 1: Are these creases indications of structural problems with the construction of the shoes?

Question 2: Barring from any structural construction problems, would these be considered fatal flaws on SF on stylistic grounds?

Question 3: Also any suggestions on how to treat them or restore the shoes if I do decide to keep them?

Question 4: When I showed these pictures to a local AE store manger a few days ago, he suspects that the shoes have been tried on by someone with flat feet. What is your take on this suspension? Would those try-on's destroy the shoe?

Many thanks for any of the insights or opinions!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  5. HealthActuary

HealthActuary Senior member

The joyous emotions coming from alternating between rubbing in leather lotion and buffing w/ a cleaning cloth... resulting in being able to make a very small/minor scratch from an AE belt diappear... priceless!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ircfas133 [​IMG]

Gentlemen:

Really need your insights here for potential defects on the AE PA in merlot I got on close-out sales.

The Allen Edmonds Park Avenue in Merlot I ordered has creases on the shoe before first I was able to try them on. The picture below shows the right side of the left shoe; the same is true for the left side of the right shoe. The outward sides of the shoes have no such problem though. I tried to get replacement, but product for merlot has stopped already. I got this pair at around $ 250 on close-out sales, but it was not labeled as "second".

Question 1: Is this an important product defect that I should worry about? That is, is an indication of structural problems with the construction of the shoes?
    Question 2: Barring from any structural construction problems, would this be considered fatal flaws on SF?
    Question 3: Also any suggestions on how to treat them or restore the shoes if I do decide to keep them?

Many thanks for any of the insights or opinions!

Personally, those would bother me BIG time considering those are supposed to be firsts. Even on a pair of seconds I'd be annoyed. I don't think you can reverse creasing that bad, but then again I'm relatively new to AE.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  6. 22busy

22busy Senior member

Nice. I looked hard at these also.

1 person likes this.
  7. garland

garland Senior member

1. No.
    2. Maybe.
    3. Shoe trees.
    4. No.

Only kidding. How do they look on your feet? What you're seeing is creasing around the counter of the shoe. Structurally it wont be an issue, and if your foot fills out the shoe at all they shouldn't be visible. And you got a heck of a steal on them. So sad to see Merlot on the way out. If you want a perfect pair, return them and buy a pair in oxblood.

8. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

You got first quality (meaning they were "in spec" when they left the factory) for $155 off MSRP. Yes, they've been tried on, but maybe consider that a reason for the discount you received. As Kyle says above, if you need a pristine pair, consider oxblood at full retail.

Once you start wearing them, the shoes will likely crease around there anyway. AE shoes do that a little more than other brands due to the absence of a shank.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  9. ircfas133

ircfas133 Senior member

Many thanks for your opinions. The dilemma is keeping an imperfect shoe vs. purchasing a potentially perfect shoe at full retail price given that the sales event is now gone. The shoe is in my size, and I have a black PA that fits me perfectly. I haven't tried this pair on yet because I was thinking about returning before coming here for enlightenment. After hearing garland and peppercorn78's insights, I might just keep them because I might the only one who knows or would notice the crease existence on this pair. But then again I recall what Red said in The Shawshank Redemption "I mean, seriously, how often do you really look at a mans shoes?". The following are pictures for guys to get a more complete view of the pair.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. oowtfmate

oowtfmate Active Member

Those look great. Keep them and enjoy!

11. SimplyStylin

SimplyStylin Senior member

I agree with the others... It looks like someone tried them on, possibly with wrong sizing.

If you like them, keep them as they will probably crease a bit there anyway and shoe tree's + conditioner should correct it a bit.

Add to it that you can't see the creasing 95% of the time, the low pricing you received, and the fact that there are no replacements available.

12. ultravisitor

ultravisitor Senior member

There is nothing wrong with those shoes.

13. avsmusic1

avsmusic1 Senior member

This

14. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Really, they look fine. Although I'm an example of a sicko who is ALWAYS noticing shoes. its fun to occasional spot a pair of alden cigar indies or walnut strands in the wilds of the NYC subway...

2 people like this.
  15. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Walnut strands in NYC are pretty common. It's typically accompanied with pants hemmed way too short [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Brown Dynamite

Brown Dynamite Senior member

Those look great in real life! Have you had a chance to test drive them yet?

My SA has the let pair of 13D on its way in for me. I don't even golf (yet), but with 3 bachelor parties coming up and the itch to get back into sports, I have no problem buying these at the clearance price.

Or maybe I'm just excited that I found justification for yet another pair of shoes?

17. epc2

epc2 Senior member

Hi Guys,

Well I've been an Alden guy but with the recent AE sales adding a few pairs of AE's was a no brainer.

-Snuff Gobi: Got them from the Destin outlet ,right shoe is a bit darker but not noticeable from a few feet , also I'm sure it'll even out with some use,one of my Ccards had a cashback offer for the 4th of July so got them @the Shoebanks price + Ccard offer.

-Brown Jefferson: I can't find a flaw , I think these were just tried on and just being discontinued for the Jefferson 2.0 , got them with the Amex offer, great deal.

-Bourbon Strands: been wanting a pair for a while was waiting for the Nordstrom ANniversary sale but like last year they only included the Walnut color , the nice folks f@ the Boca Raton store , matched the flash sale price from Theshoemart, used another Amex card, these are firsts and very nice.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. ircfas133

ircfas133 Senior member

Strand Bourbon looks fantastic!

19. ircfas133

ircfas133 Senior member

Heeding advice of pros on SF, I decide to keep these shoes. I just applied some leather conditioner / lotion on this pair to see if I can somehow restore the shape a bit. Many thanks for the inputs.

20. tharkun

tharkun Senior member

+1 FWIW, my winter boots (Danner Recon w/ 200g of Thinsulate) crease a bit like that on my smaller left foot as well. And you'll have some pants over that most of the time anyways. I only started looking at guys shoes last year when I started looking into how to make shoes and not at all for the 32 years of my life before that :D

Personally I think that if you buy 2nds you shouldn't be allowed to send them back for any other reason than bad fit. And not at all if you buy seconds after trying them on. They are 2nds... its just that it wouldn't be possible to enforce/check that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.