1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichieP

RichieP Well-Known Member

LOL, fancy! I never make it that far in the conversation because I'm tight-lipped about how much these babies cost. :happy:

You can really tell the colors in the nice sunlight. While I'm over kicking myself for not getting any natural shell from the trunk show, it's clear to me the navy was the real sleeper of that deal. Some amazing shoes made with that!

1 person likes this.
  2. gatszu

gatszu Well-Known Member

While I love the natural brown, the navy is my favorite mainly because of its versatility. In door, it looks almost black, and then under sunlight, it's a nice surprise for many people. The chili welt and medium transparent brown edge dressing complement it very well!

3. smoothmoose

smoothmoose Well-Known Member

I'm coming over to AE after a couple failed attempts of finding the right last fit with Meermin (I have my final experiment for sale below). I found Meermin's standard Hiro last to bit a tight in the toe box, but loose in the heels. Suggestion on AE lasts to try?

4. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

I didn't even know they made these. They are pretty sweet. I'd try to go for another pair. My experience with seconds has been pretty good.

Also, if you're in NYC, the 44th street location by Brooks Brothers has been pretty good about taking returns from the Shoebank for me without hassle. I think you avoid the $10 restocking, or maybe an exchange wouldn't incur the $10 if you call the store you ordered from.

Lastly, 11 days seems like a long time, usually they get them out to me in a week and you can ask for a tracking number.

1 person likes this.
  5. fiercekrypton

fiercekrypton Well-Known Member

I just got my second pair of Allen Edmonds. Not sure what I'm doing considering I never wear slacks but whatever, they sure do make me. Lol. I got the Dalton's as seconds during the tent sale for $217 shipped. Just got a pair of Jefferson seconds for $206 shipped. The boots have one slightly uneven stitch. I have no clue what's "wrong" with the Jefferson's. I went through them with a fine tooth comb before I'd wear them outside and found nothing except a lil dent in the toe like what would happen within the first couple wears anyhow. Anyways. Here they are. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

2 people like this.
  6. fiercekrypton

fiercekrypton Well-Known Member

Sure do make me happy*

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

7. misterellington

misterellington Well-Known Member

Quote:It's apparently “a thing” with some folks. I'm a chronic “noticer”, but I would never be so rude as to say “Hey, you never seem to repeat your shoes over 'x' amount of time.” That smacks of negative noticing—as if the person commenting wants you to limit yourself. Some folks—some women put a LOT of weight on how a guy presents shoe-wise. All kinds of old wives tales about “You can judge a man by his shoes.” or “Look at his shoes, that'll tell you what you need to know about him.” For example, the classic two-toned “Spectator” shoe is often deemed the footwear of a rake or playboy. Why? Well, in Europe (England primarily), they were dubbed “Co-respondent Shoes” (and still are in some circles). Co-respondent—not as in correspondent, i.e. reporter, but “Co-Respondent” as in the co-respondent in an unseemly court case...usually a divorce preceding where the wearer was “The Other Man” who did not have classically gainful employment. They see a slick Italian loafer and think “Gigolo”, a chunky longwing blucher and they go “Ivy League”. There's no real rhyme or reason to it. I have all three of those shoe types amongst others—does that make me a cuckolding, Hah-vahd-schooled gigolo? Nope. (But maybe that's a bad thing...) The Sanibels though, are real attention getters. It's not a radical-looking shoe, but it's that bone-colored, soft suede that snags 'em. The Lucca is such a sleek, old money (aka not nouveau riche)-looking style that it connotes a certain easy, moneyed comfort. Wish I could find an inexpensive pair some whereabouts... :)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    2 people like this.
  8. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

^^ LOL, you write the BEST posts...

1 person likes this.
  9. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

Yeah he does

1 person likes this.
  10. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

How about the 97? You should feel right at home [​IMG]

11. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I really am, but are you guys like high or something? I guess if you're really into boat shoes then I could at least partially understand the craze with the maritimes, but this thing too? Have you seen it in store? It looks like it came out of LL Bean [​IMG]

12. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  13. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

Boxed them up and sent them off this morning unfortunately. I know that I would always notice the wonkiness - it was quite severe on this pair. The person I was email at AE suggested they were either a prototype for BB, or a BB model soon to be released. I would imagine the latter. Really a very nice shoe, and I would be tempted to pick up at full price. There isn't another pair available in 13D unfortunately.

From AE Port Wash: "Yes, it is a new style. I am not sure if will continue to be in production for them! If it does, the image will become available at Brooks Brothers website".

14. bamgrinus

bamgrinus Well-Known Member

I was wearing my GMTO Eagle County boots one day, that had been marked as seconds, and I mentioned to my friend that they only ended up costing about $125. He's stunned and goes, "You spend over $100 on shoes??" So yeah, I don't mention how much some of my shoes cost around my friends. I don't think I could adequately explain the appeal of shoes made out of horse ass.

1 person likes this.
  15. RTflux

RTflux Member

[​IMG]

First time out for the Carlyle

3 people like this.
  16. thelook

thelook Active Member

Question, where can I source a pair of AE bradleys, in the light brown/orangie color? Any suggestions appreciated...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  17. JLnoir

JLnoir Well-Known Member

My new AE Fort Worth golf shoes:[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

Vans.

(with apologies to AE)

19. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    I previously posted a query to ask opinions about the AE colored laces. As it's a Friday, I popped the blue laces into the walnut Shreveports to match the blue shirt I am wearing with khaki pants. No comments pro or con yet, but what say you AE style mavens? Colored laces, Yay or Nay? Personally, I think they look pretty good and I think I may try others.

[​IMG]

20. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Some of their loafers work too ya know!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.