1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I have that same box of laces and I use them all. Granted, it's mostly a Friday thing, but I match the laces to the shirt I'm wearing, the socks, etc. I figure have some fun. Unless you are in a really conservative environment - law firm, court room, etc., I say try them all.

Orange, lavender, and olive look great with walnut in my opinion. The blue looks great with my Rush Streets.

Here is one example of mine
    [​IMG]

Chris

2. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

[​IMG]

Switching to a slimmer cut is always a good idea. Most guys wear clothes that are cut wrong for them. Just MHO.

3. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

On the flip side, the trending super skinny look makes me want to throw up.

4. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Agreed. Saying "switching to a slimmer cut is always a good idea" is not exactly accurate. Especially with some of the ridiculous fit pics I have seen on this site and on others with skin tight jeans and comparatively clownish shoes.

5. tyort1

tyort1 Well-Known Member

No worries about going skin tight pants on me. Most of the people that do that are young adults (kids). I'm a 43 year old man, I've outgrown all that nonsense.

6. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

@RTflux @YoungSweet

Great looking shoes

7. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

Trying to upgrade my casual shoe lineup so picked up the Acorn Hillfire Neumoks yesterday from Nordstrom; next to my Olive Neumoks, I like the Acorn more. A good add, and quells my interest in the Rush Street. Color, contrast stitching and mild burnish on toe and heel look perfect for most of my jeans, cords and chinos... even some heavier wool slacks. Slipper feel, but some there are some inside stitches rubbing my bare feet. Loafer socks for a while ;-)

8. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

Just received these from Shoebank..
    This is my first dundee and I didn't like them at all in calf leather, though I am sure they will be amazing in suede. Also for some reason leather on these is very thick and stiff compared to my other AEs...

Brooks Brother Oxblood Dundee

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Macneil 2.0 in Chilli.
    These are really nice and definitely keeping them. Almost flawless atleast to me...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Macneil burgundy shell ( 10 D) vs Macneil 2.0 chilli (10.5D) - Fitwise, both are comfortable, may be because of shell vs calf difference and poron insole in macneil 2.0
    Macneil shell are in serious need of some TLC..

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Interesting how the MacNeil 2.0 pattern, since it's "lifted" on the shoe, makes it look more like the Alden LWB. Very nice change, IMO.

10. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

11. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

If they are almost perfect and slightly too big, I wouldn't keep them. As you wear the shoes they will stretch and become too big.

12. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

Yeah I couldn't tell it from AE pics online, but in person it's very prominent...

13. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

How do thee Dundee fit compared to the 5 last?

14. tyort1

tyort1 Well-Known Member

SOOO happy they stopped using black trim on these, they look much better now.

15. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Agreed. The black edge/trim was the main reason why I would never even touch the MacNeil. Now I am seriously considering a pair of the 2.0s.

16. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

Finally got my LAX in. Went up a width -- I'm a narrow D and these are E -- and they work. Not as comfortable a fit as my Rogues, which are obviously a last closer to my foot shape. My heel swims around a bit with dress socks. I'll probably only wear these with thicker socks.

Walked a couple of miles in them last night and just got back from walking a mile this afternoon to get them broken in. Light weight, and the sole is really cushiony. The patina is nice, but the whole shoe is darker where the first pair had a lighter color with a darker toe that I really liked. How do I keep from evening that out the color too much? Maybe use neutral polish or VSC everywhere behind the toe instead of the Bob's Chili color so they don't darken more?

I think my Rogues were a better bargain, what with being seconds AND on sale. But these are damned nice walking shoes.

[​IMG]

Not the best picture, but putting my feet in the sunlight was too interesting to ignore. I have a cat in my lap now so I can't try again.

17. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

I take same size in 511 last and 5 last which is 10E, but 5 last is better fit for me.

18. Patrick30

Patrick30 Active Member

Anyone have the black Dundee Chukkas? If so do they look good with nice jeans and shirt? Any pictures?

19. misterellington

misterellington Senior member

Sported the “Sands” I picked up from Burlington Coat Factory on Friday—Mercy, what a comfortable shoe. Not a fan of boat shoes per sé, but these are more of a Beefroll Penny Loafer with the Cream-Colored Gumlite Vibram sole, thus giving it a slightly “Boat-ish”look. I dig 'em. Got 'em for $79.00...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  20. misterellington

misterellington Senior member

Then there were the latest finds during my once-weekly NYC Burlington Coat Factory crawl:

I found a rare pair of Black Calf “Players Shoes” in my size for $119.00. The sleeker silhouette makes this (for me) a viable suit shoe. Note the slight gapping at the ankle is due to my being unable to fully close the shoe..due to the Goddamned security tags. (And the white tissue paper stuffing in the left shoe) I've come across a couple of these in a Bone-Colored Suede at Burlington, but these jumped out at me as I was leaving. Picked 'em right hell up. LOL!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

These I found for any NY'ers with a little to spend—a pair of Black “Randolph” Loafers in a 13D with the Dainite Sole for...$79.00 (?!) They have the “Seconds” shoe mark and I'm guessing the imperfection is the sole stitching's slight drift onto one or two of the Dainite lugs (an eminently livable hiccup), and an exquisite pair of Brown “Clifton” Captoes with no visible issues whatsoever in an 11.5D for $139.00. These were at the Burlington Hellhole that's on 6th Avenue between 22nd & 23rd Streets.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

As usual...GO GET 'EM BOYS! (They're open until 9:30PM)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.