1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

2. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Yes. When I originally purchased my oxblood Daltons, the color was brand new and my SA instructed me to use merlot polish on them.

Their first polish out of the box was with the merlot AE polish:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few weeks later, when I was back in the store, I was then instructed not to use merlot polish, but to use AE's black polish instead, so the next time I polished them I switched as-recommended and it did change the color:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Despite being taken in completely different light conditions, the color differences are decently represented in the above pics. Ultimately, the merlot polish added a purple hue to the leather. I honestly didn't mind the merlot-polished boots, and definitely received constant compliments on the color, but the black polish kept more of the true, dark-cherry "oxblood" color that I wanted when I bought the Daltons.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    2 people like this.
  3. ultravisitor

ultravisitor Senior member

Wow. That's almost $20 more than they were on sale for last year.

4. BillyMcGee

BillyMcGee Well-Known Member

Yes. When I originally purchased my oxblood Daltons, the color was brand new and my SA instructed me to use merlot polish on them.

Their first polish out of the box was with the merlot AE polish:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few weeks later, when I was back in the store, I was then instructed not to use merlot polish, but to use AE's black polish instead, so the next time I polished them I switched as-recommended and it did change the color:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Despite being taken in completely different light conditions, the color differences are decently represented in the above pics. Ultimately, the merlot polish added a purple hue to the leather. I honestly didn't mind the merlot-polished boots, and definitely received constant compliments on the color, but the black polish kept more of the true, dark-cherry "oxblood" color that I wanted when I bought the Daltons.

Hope this helps.
    This is very helpful, thank you so much! It never ceases to amaze me how helpful folks on this thread are.

1 person likes this.
  5. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

Seconds from the flash sale. Not bad for under $200.

I can see a minor rippling on one seam on the right shoe. I'm guessing that's what caused them to be seconded, or maybe that there is a stitch in the welt that just doesn't quite follow the toe line, but otherwise I see nothing. They're almost perfect. And they look better in person.

[​IMG]

Fit is as described in the all about lasts. They don't press the top of my instep much, a touch long in the toe, and they're roomy in the forefoot. I am an 8.5D -- on the narrow side of D -- and these do fit me true to size.

Amazing how different this last is to the 511. I really do need to go to a store and try some of the 65 last shoes before I shop for more.

6. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

Appreciate it Gabru - I would've started my bourbon shoe sole switch exploits (say THAT ten times fast!) with my moras, but I just noticed that THE HEELS ARE SEPARATING from the sole... A recent topic on the thread. Not worn 10 times to date, maybe closer to five wears. I don't think I'll be gluing the heels back on - AE can fix that. Sending them back tomorrow for repair. But when they return... :)
    Thanks for commenting Leslie. I did sand off the thick black coating (after some hand cramps from meticulous hand sanding of other soles, I got smart and stopped by Ace Hardware to purchase a dremel tool - reduced the sanding step time by 75%). I have a range of Angelus dyes on hand from shoe recolors, so I predetermine sole color through measured mixing of colors until i get what i want, and the dyes on shoe are pretty consistent with my paper tests. I start with a couple layers of dye, leather conditioner (lexol for this job), some beeswax buffed into sole, a couple layers of brown edge dressing, then - a new step - a layer or two of satin acrylic finisher for even more shine, and to lock in all that dye and stuff. FYI, I stripped off the black burnish from the shoes and polished with just bourbon polish, which I'll use exclusively from now on. Hope this helps and best of luck - not for the faint of heart. I saw a post recently commenting that black soles were the only way to go... I have a bit more imagination and the improving skills to choose my own color for soles. If you don't like boring black shoes, why like boring black soles on bourbon or burgundy shoes? The contrast is drastic and pretty awful IMO. In fact, go to the MTO thread and count how many MTO's have BLACK soles. You won't need one hand... [​IMG] Post pics when you take the plunge!

7. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

^
    Thanks Indyoshi68 -- great info. I'll post pics if I have the guts to try. Your skills far exceed my own, though.

In case I dare to take the plunge, which colors of Angelus dyes did you mix for these soles?

8. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Happy Friday, everyone! Burnished chili Bleeckers to end the week...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

These look great! IMO, the best color for the Rogue!

10. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

I noticed this morning at Shoebank that they have 10E Dundee 2.0 Snuff Suede for $299. Unfortunately, no pic.

I wonder if they are rejected MTO or new for Fall.

11. garland

garland Senior member

the latter of the two.

12. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

If they were a rejected MTO, then they would have been called an SMU AE DOT stock number 12900 and sold for $149 in an outlet store. So they are definitely seconds.

13. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

14. RTflux

RTflux Member

Maiden voyage for my Jeffersons. These and the dark chili Carlyle's I purchased with them are my first non-glued sole shoes.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. tyort1

tyort1 Well-Known Member

Has anyone else noticed a change in pants style after getting in to AE? 2 years ago, before AE, I wore mainly straight leg pants, or even boot cut pants. When bought my first few pairs of AEs, my pants kept covering up my awesome new shoes.

So I've started wearing slim cut pants so that people can see my shoes better - haha!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    2 people like this.
  16. Shoedddude

Shoedddude Member

Those Jeffersons look very nice, good choice ..are they cordovan?

17. RTflux

RTflux Member

Thank you. Just calf seconds I got from the tent sale.

18. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

19. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

Nice, these are also one of my favorite shoes

20. evolved

evolved Senior member

I'm glad to see some pioneers stripping the black edging from Bourbon shoes. I thought that was a mistake on AE's part....it just clashes wayyyy too much. That makes me want to pick up something bourbon and strip the edging.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.