• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

williaby

Reaction score
I just received a pair of Bellevue Boots in 10.5B. The right shoe fits fine, but when I place the left shoe I am getting a bump in the leather. Is this normal?

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any of you AE guys prefer Woodlore Ultras compared to the basic AE/JOS/Nordstrom shoe trees? Are they worth it? I know it's all manufactured from the same company, but was wondering whether the quality is any different before pulling the trigger.

Last edited:

indigoroots

Reaction score
Any of you AE guys prefer Woodlore Ultras compared to the basic AE/JOS/Nordstrom shoe trees? Are they worth it? I know it's all manufactured from the same company, but was wondering whether the quality is any different before pulling the trigger.
I prefer the AE full toe trees. I've ordered some from JAB and Woodlores on sale but found some sizing inconsistencies. Maybe it's because the JAB park ave fits slightly different than the AE park ave so the trees were adjusted as well?

Just my experience though - I think the general consensus on here is that they're all rebranded versions of the same thing.

thefoxtooth

Reaction score
Oooh, I actually missed that. I just started checking AE stuff out a few days ago, I'd had my eye on some Alden boots, but AE is more in my price range, and I'm liking their designs a lot. I'm going to get measured this week and start going wild on the Shoe Bank.

Also, if anyone knows of a pretty much identical shoe to the Grayson that has laces instead of tassels, I would love to know about them.
You should get on the email list for the Shoe Bank, too. They have periodic sales –you just missed one– with super-deep discounts; that's how I acquired the Promontory Pt. in the photo. $159 makes it worth sending a pair back.

Can't think of a lace loafer off the top of my head; I don't know if there is such an animal anywhere. But the Westchester has a classic sleek tassel-loafer profile with a minimal penny-loafer-type strap. I own a pair in Walnut, they're phenomenal. A Shoe Bank pair, no less.

As boots go, I definitely recommend the Daltons. The Promontory is beautiful as well, though the pebble grain isn't for everyone. In black I think it's great. The Amok is virtually identical to an Alden unlined chukka and there are some at SB for $99 right now, depending on size.

Jonkr15

Reaction score
I like the AE combination trees. Fit my Strands and PA's perfectly.

Haven't compared to others in person though.

Usonian

Reaction score
You should get on the email list for the Shoe Bank, too. They have periodic sales –you just missed one– with super-deep discounts; that's how I acquired the Promontory Pt. in the photo. $159 makes it worth sending a pair back.

Can't think of a lace loafer off the top of my head; I don't know if there is such an animal anywhere. But the Westchester has a classic sleek tassel-loafer profile with a minimal penny-loafer-type strap. I own a pair in Walnut, they're phenomenal. A Shoe Bank pair, no less.

As boots go, I definitely recommend the Daltons. The Promontory is beautiful as well, though the pebble grain isn't for everyone. In black I think it's great. The Amok is virtually identical to an Alden unlined chukka and there are some at SB for $99 right now, depending on size.

Cool, just signed up for that. I know Meermin makes a laced loafer, but the stitching on the toecap has that pronounced edge, and I prefer the smooth toecap of the Graysons, and I don't want to have to pay any customs or anything. I like those Daltons, but I'm looking for a boot that I could wear every day, something more along the lines of Aldens Plaza cap toes, something sleek and slim, but not like pointy. I'll definitely pick up a pair of those Amoks though. My intro pair to nicer shoes than usual were some Clarks DBs, but I found myself wanting something sleeker, a la the Amok or the Alden chukka, so that's perfect. And thank you so much for your help, since I kinda had no idea where to start with this whole "nice shoes" thing hah.

Olifter

Reaction score

What's the consensus on AE belts here?

Looking for 3 simple and classic dress belts to match my (1) black park aves, (2) merlot mcallisters, and (3) walnut strands.

Any recommendations on specific models?

I have the Manistee in both Merlot/burgundy and walnut, very happy with them. I wear them with suits. I'd get a solid black one for the PAs.

Last edited:

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allison kindly sent me some samples of the AE 'Kara' Grain, 'Scotch' Grain and 'Alpine' Grain for the purposes of a coming MTO.

In terms of the fineness of the grain, from the coarsest to the finest, they rank as follows:

Scotch - Alpine - Kara

The Scotch also has the highest ridges/grain pattern.

Other than their appearance, does anyone know, reputationally, the different qualities of these varieties? Ie is one considered more durable, more waterproof etc etc.

Cheers

sleepyinsanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allison kindly sent me some samples of the AE 'Kara' Grain, 'Scotch' Grain and 'Alpine' Grain for the purposes of a coming MTO.

In terms of the fineness of the grain, from the coarsest to the finest, they rank as follows:

Scotch - Alpine - Kara

Other than their appearance, does anyone know, reputationally, the different qualities of these varieties? Ie is one considered more durable, more waterproof etc etc.

Cheers

I've found that its harder to get dried muck off my Alpine grain bluchers conpared to my scotch grain boots.
But Alpine grain seems to crease less (or at least shows creases less) compared to Scotch grain.
I dont know about waterproofness of AE's grain leather (probably not very waterproof) , but the "zug grain" on C&J conistons is quite waterproof.
I would think the bigger grain pattern would be more casual

Last edited:

thefoxtooth

Reaction score
Cool, just signed up for that. I know Meermin makes a laced loafer, but the stitching on the toecap has that pronounced edge, and I prefer the smooth toecap of the Graysons, and I don't want to have to pay any customs or anything. I like those Daltons, but I'm looking for a boot that I could wear every day, something more along the lines of Aldens Plaza cap toes, something sleek and slim, but not like pointy. I'll definitely pick up a pair of those Amoks though. My intro pair to nicer shoes than usual were some Clarks DBs, but I found myself wanting something sleeker, a la the Amok or the Alden chukka, so that's perfect. And thank you so much for your help, since I kinda had no idea where to start with this whole "nice shoes" thing hah.
Oh, I think I know the loafer you mean. Now, the Meermin chukkas are a thing of beauty. Sleek, structured, simple. Dress up or down as needed. I never paid any customs on my two pair; came in at around $215 for everything. Remember, the quoted price on the Meermin site includes VAT, which you don't pay, so subtract 22% before you convert your euros. Or just mentally don't add the shipping, they work out about the same, depending on the exchange rate. Highly, highly recommend.

Congratulations on starting the whole nice-shoes thing. Now the problem will be stopping.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Scotch - Alpine - Kara

Cheers

Do you know what colors are currently available in each?

And would you mind terribly posting a photo of the samples please?

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of brogans, Kahuna75, what you have there is definitely a brogan. See the heel stitching and speed hook sticking out? Minus speed hooks, this is like a Red Wing 9016, comme ça:

Or the aforementioned Wolverine 1000 Mile, speed hooks and all:

Neither has the precise sole/welt combo, but the sole in the image might be a replacement. Or some other brogan; for about 50 years there you could hardly get another kind of work boot.

Thanks for the pics...yes does look those pics...what got me was the shine on them of course being a play it could have been the lighting and starting to think might be logical he has a few variations of the shoe since they are performing so much and agree I think the sole was probably re-done for stage wearing.

frankmartin

Reaction score
Are these the socks or do I need something else? Wearing a blue shirt.

Shirt^^^

IMHO, the best choice here would be to match your socks to your pants. It should make your legs look longer. The blue socks seem to stick out in my eye. There's too much contrast for me, especially with the brown and grey. No need to add something else down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads