• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

area3400

Reaction score
This thread moves pretty quickly so sorry to reply to a week old comment. In terms of the Lexington vs Kenilworth. I like both and have been leaning towards the Lexington (in brown burnished) because I think the plain toe on the Kenilworth might look weird on my foot (size 13). Seems like a lot of leather out there with nothing to break it up if that makes any sense.

The Lexington and Kenilworth are both on the same lasts and both bluchers. The only difference I can see (as a newbie to all this) is that one has a cap toe and the other a plain toe. That said, it seems that whereas people really like the Kenilworth they tend to not care for the Lexington. I am just wondering what I am missing? I ask because the bias seems consistent and I am still trying to get a clue.

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Like so? Light brown transparent.
LL[\img]

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We recently saw the play If/Then and the lead guy had a pair of shoes on similar to the top ones...I actually leaned over to my wife and commented how nice they were and she actually agreed that she noticed them too and thought the same...normally she just tells me I am an idiot. I assumed they were an Alden shoe in cigar cordovan from the looks of where we were sitting..probably more similar to a a Chuka

Something similar to this but with a natural welt

Several have mentioned that AE boots lack eyelets, in the case of the chukka AE beats Alden hands down IME. Several on the Alden thread have mentioned that the 2 eyed Alden chukka has a tendency to slip, I would be also in that camp. My foot is also not fond of the Barrie last which most Alden chukkas are built on. The 3 eyed AE Dundee really stands out to me as the perfect blend for a chukka in both function and form

I will be selling my Alden Ravello chukkas when I get around to it so probably shouldn't say anything negative about them LOL.

You have done very well my friend. It is going to be some time until I do another family photo myself. It takes too long to setup...

I honestly am interested in good shoe storage ideas as well. I currently use the shelf above the clothes in two closets and I now have use my floor for overflow.

-M

I expanded my shoe shelving in 2 closets above the clothes, if I can fit a shoe shelf in there I have done it. I also used the floor for overflow but last summer had my 744's and Krause develop mold on the leather soles so be careful. House is air conditioned and the soles were not that wet in fact I thought they were dry. Since then I have laid a piece of ventilated closet maid shoe shelving on the floor held off the floor with 1x2's to allow better air circulation. AE makes both boots for Wolverine but there must be something different with the soles on those. I am careful now to not let any soles rest on carpet during storage.

After seeing the collections on here I feel better
smile.gif
I am no where near the number of shoes of some. And will likely thin the herd and try to keep roughly the number I have now. I don't have a spreadsheet for what I have but yesterday received some Avery shipping labels. After enough years of wiping off dust finally decided to store them in their bags and will attach the shipping labels to the bags. I'm a very visual person however and figure I will start taking pictures of them and keep the pics in a binder so I can recall what is what.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dundees today:

Would you guys be using chili edge dressing on these? Seems like AE should come out with a brown transparent edge dressing.

I do use neutral on some of the more complex edges. But on those would use brown and only do half of one shoe at a time and quickly wipe with a rag and not let it sit more than 15 sec. or so

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't use the chili. I would use their neutral or natural instead. Can't remember which it's called.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too. I own the chili and the neutral, I see they offer brown but I heard it being more of a solid brown rather than transparent brown. Can anyone confirm?

Quote:
That looks nice but now what product to you use to touch it up? Neutral or Chili? I meant AE should come out with a few more edge dressing touch up colors to better match some of the edge trims they offer. Using neutral might be best in most cases to maintain the original look.

I used the chili on the edges of my walnut McAllisters, which is the recommended color, and they darkened to a much redder tone compared to the original.

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Ah I see what your saying now and I agree. I thought you were thinking of stock offering. Not maintenance.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do use neutral on some of the more complex edges. But on those would use brown and only do half of one shoe at a time and quickly wipe with a rag and not let it sit more than 15 sec. or so

Thanks!

I also agree that the Dundee is better than Aldens Chukka, I like the 3 eyelets and the shape of the 1 last. If only I had a pair in walnut cordovan... lol I think I am up to 4 models I would love in that leather.

Ah I see what your saying now and I agree. I thought you were thinking of stock offering. Not maintenance.

Yours are quite nice looking with the flat welt, but I have zero complaints with the stock model. It's one of my favs and actually makes it into the rotation at least weekly.

Last edited:

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Its actually not mine. However I was looking at it recently debating on doing one similar as I'd like to have a brown. I have a stock Burgundy that I really like and agree the 3 eyelets make a big difference in the fit.

pomofo

Reaction score
Just picked up a pair of supposedly new McAllisters on ebay at a price I couldn't resist. They seem to have a different heel pattern than the pair I purchased from Shoebank (bottom pair) though. Any thoughts on the difference? Are they a really old run or have they been resoled?

I have three pairs of AEs with that upper heel pattern. One are a pair of Bourbon McAllister firsts that I bought mid-2013 with the V-tread sole. Then there's a pair of Brown Patriot seconds with a normal leather sole. And finally a pair of burgundy W-marked Patriots with the V-tread sole.

pomofo

Reaction score
Point taken . . . but about a third of those are not really part of the rotation - more "special occasion" shoes where I might indeed only wear them once or twice a year, but I'm very happy they're there for that occasion. And, I will sometimes wear two or even three different pairs in the same day, depending on what I have going on that day. So, while I do have a big rotation, it's not unmanageable.

And, the spreadsheet is supposed to ensure that I am wearing them all. If it shows that I haven't worn a particular pair in the last few months, I'll be sure to work that pair in.

Lastly, since all of my needs have now been met, I don't intend to buy any more pairs for a long while - unless it's an upgrade to something I already have.

To be sure, if I do get to the point where I haven't worn a particular pair for over a year, I'll probably get rid of that pair. IMO that's a good rule of thumb for any item of clothing.

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one with a shoe spreadsheet. Started mine last September so that I could track wearings and polishings. 33 shoes in the rotation, 30 of which are AEs. And I've worn 28 of the 33 so far this year, with 2 of the unworn ones getting their first ever wear in the coming week.

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dundees today: Would you guys be using chili edge dressing on these? Seems like AE should come out with a brown transparent edge dressing.
Yes, but it will darken the edges, at least somewhat. I agree that AE should produce more edge dressing options.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Small timers like us can't comprehend the 50+ shoe wardrobe. Check out how the pros (Vox) do it
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
Holy crap, that is what I need!!! My wife would FLIP!
This is a nice way of storage. With respect to a list or spreadsheet or whatever, this not only can prove helpful for the owner (in terms of rotation, etc.), but it can prove vital in the event of an insured loss.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We recently saw the play If/Then and the lead guy had a pair of shoes on similar to the top ones...I actually leaned over to my wife and commented how nice they were and she actually agreed that she noticed them too and thought the same...normally she just tells me I am an idiot. I assumed they were an Alden shoe in cigar cordovan from the looks of where we were sitting..probably more similar to a a Chuka

Something similar to this but with a natural welt

Ok so I found a picture of the shoe from the play...we were 2nd row Mezzanine so my eyes were not to bad...I assumed his shoes had rubber soles based on all the movement in the play so not sure if these are stock or added...but it looks more like the AE upcoming release than the Alden Chukah...

Ok here is a lightened up version in photoshop- any ideas on the shoe? They def. did not seem burgundy when watching live.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads