1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

You ain't giving me much to go by, so I'll have to go with the obvious - Wilberts, although they aren't wingtips.

2. ultravisitor

ultravisitor Senior member

What makes them "cheap" to you? I stopped by the AE store in Michigan Avenue earlier this month and handled some of the Road Warriors and didn't know quite what to think. The fact that they are SO light did give me some pause about them, but I'm not sure one can necessarily equate weight with quality. What was most offputting about them to me was they seemed a bit orthopedic with how round and bulbous they were, but I didn't try them on, so I wasn't able to see what they were like when actually worn.

3. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

Was in the store today and checked out the shoes that I had mentioned. Passed on the Wilbert and Clark Street as they looked way too casual for my needs. Tried the Ashton but, unfortunately for me, they were too wide and room all around.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  4. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

I am terrified of the 2 last after my experience with Norwich. But I will give San Marco a try. I just have to keep an eye for them on BB website as they can be had for much cheaper than what they go for on Shoebank.

5. Maxy

Maxy Senior member

Problem is that none of the stores have any of the E's in stock. I don't want to order something which I didn't try personally especially I wanted the custom combination top sole. Not sure if that can be returned easily.

6. Al Dente

Al Dente Senior member

Sign in to your Amex account online. There will be an offers tab. click on this and select the AE offer. Then when you spend $200 at AE, including Shoebank, Amex will give you a $50 statement credit.

7. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

I'm with you, I tried a Rogue in an E width when I wear an EE/EEE in the 5 last and found it a bit narrow.

Anyone else find the SF Sutter Street store to be lacking in sizes an service? I almost feel like I'm wasting my time every time I go there because they don't really stock any wide widths or models I'm interested in. I wish they would offer to size me for various lasts instead of making me feel like I'm bothering them when I ask if they have a certain shoe or size to try. The shoe bank SAs I've spoken to over the phone have been much more helpful. To be fair, they're not awful SAs as they do follow through, but I've been spoiled by the excellent service of the shoe bank SAs. I should feel elated to have made purchases from them instead of doubting whether it was a good choice and slightly regretting the experience shortly after.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  8. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

I like and hate that AE sold Burlington nearly 1000 SMU 2nds. Hate that I can't get easy access to them through an outlet store, but damn they saved me a bunch of money. Which in the end is probably a good thing.

9. MUFCreddevil

MUFCreddevil Well-Known Member

Maiden voyage for my Merlot McAllisters fresh from the Shoe Bank. Only issue I have found is it seems like there is extra leather on the right inside ankle as it pops out a little (you can see it a little in the photo). 150 bucks after the AMEX deal and I'll take it every day! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. Al Dente

Al Dente Senior member

Shoes look good, color looks good. You are right to be happy with those!

11. Shoedog1089

Shoedog1089 New Member

oops... responding to a previous post.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  12. Shoedog1089

Shoedog1089 New Member

Sign up within AMEX perks program. Once you opt in, you can then shop any AE store or the AE site and if you buy more than $200 using the AMEX card you opted in on, you get a $50 rebate back on your card. All this is handled by AMEX and not at the store level so don't bother asking the store managers about it. Everything is explained on the AMEX site when you click on the perk.

13. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Funny that the 2nd sale is over at the shoebank's but still available on the main site, with some limited models.

14. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Cc808 - understand your fear of the 222 but keep in mind there is significant variation on that last, just like with the 65. I think I know what you're after. I'll tell you what I did personally. I was very interested in the badlands - they fit well and looked better than the Wilbert. Then I tried the black hills, which were identical but with the lug sole. That was an instant purchase. As comfortable as they were, they were always just a drop loose, like the Kenilworth if you are familiar with it, but more rugged and more eyelets. Tried the Kiowa and San Marco next. The Kiowa, being a bal, was brutal on the tops of my feet and I could only close the lacing gap like half way. But otherwise they were good. Picked up the San Marco from BB. These have that very tapered fit (you know what I'm talking about), but archwise they're great and because the material is softer and more flexible, I also liked them better than the black hills. Then I tried the Aberdeen - yeah baby, best of all for last. I would describe them as a casual version of the player shoe. I was a little upset that on the only pair available in my size, the right shoe clearly has issues - the leather is too smooth, making it bend at the top more than I would prefer (as opposed to the left, which is stiffer and more grainy), but can't complain much, and could always get firsts if I wanted them. So that's me... If you were borderline on the 222, no way the 234 & 678 will work for you, they'll feel like clown shoes. Let me know how you make out. Badlands should still be around. I believe BB dropped the San Marco but they still have the Aberdeen.

15. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Paragraphs... Do you know it?

16. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Casual Monday

[​IMG]

What are you wearing?

17. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

Black BB Strands in the wild:

[​IMG]

18. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

19. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

Somebody ask him about doing a non-Road Warrior Wingtip Blucher. Please.

1 person likes this.
  20. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Players 2.0 have been popping up on the shoe bank for months now. I'm sure it'll be back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.