1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

I am thinking of picking up a pair or two of rubber soled shoes to wear in business casual environment that includes wool trousers and khakis. I was thinking of Ashton, Black Hills, Wilbert, or Clark Street. Input from those of you that have these shoes is appreciated. The contrast stitching on the last two worry me a little.

2. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

I have 8E in my walnut shell Daltons and they are perfect, even though I wear 8.5D in almost everything else, including my Long Branches (tan Dublin).

Hard to compare though because the Daltons are unlined shell with a flat welt and the long branch are lined dublin with a reverse welt.

3. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

Got a quick question on polishing brown Jeffersons. I recently bought these during the sale and like all new shoe prep I applied AE Polish and then a coat of saphir. unfortunately I didn't get the usual shine I do with smooth leather, any thoughts?

4. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

I bought a pair of Wilbert seconds recently in outland brown, and now have ordered a dark brown pair. They are one of if not AE's top selling / most popular casuals.

Of your 4 choices...
    the 678 last Ashton and 511 last Wilbert are my preferences, as they are both slightly wider than the 65 last Black Hills and 108 last Clark Street.

If you have tried any of these lasts, the foot-shape differences are significant enough between these 4 shoes that fitment should be considered even before your visual preference imo.

That said, I think the Ashton would be the best choice with wool trousers of the 4.

5. SVS

SVS Senior member

I'm late to the party for the seconds sale. Most of the really good deals are gone (belts, Gobis, Daltons, etc are gone.) The Jeffersons for $197 is an incredible deal (and my favorite shoe). Get in fast.

Anyway, I have a pair a waxy gray McTavish wingtips. What do these match? Could I add some red polish to make them more like oxblood? (Can I even polish rough collection shoes?)

6. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

Some guy at work had the waxy grey mctavish on this week and I am not a fan. I'd be interested to see what polish of a different color would do but I'm not a fan of them just out of the box.

7. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I have the smokey grey distressed and love them. Wear only with rougher denim, though.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  8. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

This was a pretty informative post - agree with the significant variations among the lasts. I own the Black Hills and love em, although bluchers on the 65 like this always feel just a touch too loose. The Wilbert fit me ok but not as good - I like the elongated length of the 65 over the 511. Don't rule out the San Marco - it's much better than the Norwich, trust me on that.

9. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Have this same issue as well - smfdoc wrote up a really good summary I saw. How painful is the arch area? Does it actually bother you or you just don't like the way it looks? Messing around with the width to get the gap to close will alter the fit significantly in other ways, just to let you know.

I could go into excruciating detail about all the lasts and about what worked for me but I won't unless you ask. But I will say one thing - balmorals will not be your friends. Bluchers will be far more forgiving in this regard. You might be able to get away with closed lacing on things like the Rush Street with CXL, but with stiff calf leather like the 5th ave, they will be trouble. Again, if you want me to go into detail, let me know...

1 person likes this.
  10. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

I'll go a step further - of my 21 pairs of AEs, about half are firsts and half are seconds. I have had an issue with one of the seconds, but, and I bullshit you not, almost every pair of firsts has had an issue - and I'm not talking about identifying a microscopic-sized melanoma with the naked eye types of issues, I'm talking with the construction/fit. So I wouldn't worry about the seconds.

11. HealthActuary

HealthActuary Senior member

Should I just avoid firsts altogether then since firsts and seconds seem to be nearly the same in quality and seconds are like upwards of $150 cheaper?

12. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    I recently purchased a pair of Rogues through the shoe bank at $199 and was very pleased with the shoe. The left one is pictured. As many on the forum have stated, the AE is a great shoe at retail price, but the small issues that may make the shoe a second is really tolerable to make them such a good discount. Many of the forum members have numerous pairs of seconds that are perfectly acceptable. I would not hesitate to order it. The worst thing that can happen is that you return it with free shipping and they hit you with a $10 restock fee. Remember that a first Rogue is $385, and a second is $254. Right now it is $199, and a bargain.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Shell may be different. I should have clarified regular leather.

14. CGKIII

CGKIII Well-Known Member

Depends on your sizing, rotation, (and how many exams you've passed...er, I mean, disposable income...). If you're in an awkward size, there might not be enough seconds in the styles you want. And for a shoe you'll want to look your best in you might want to go first quality (or look to other manufacturers). Sale pricing isn't too awful for firsts, as long as you can plan your purchases around a certain time of the year. But in general, yes, seconds are the way to go.

15. misterellington

misterellington Senior member

I will pop through there tomorrow (Sunday) with a camera and let you know what else I see...
    :)

16. Maxy

Maxy Senior member

Thanks... I'm going to the AE store and try out some lasts. I hate to know that balmoral will not be suited to my feet. I'm planning to try the 201- Rogue and lot of 108 lasts. If possible, you can suggest me some lasts for me to try it at the store today.

17. tyort1

tyort1 Well-Known Member

108 and 333 are good ones to check out. 222 is a toe crusher, at least for me. Most people look at where their big toes are in order to see if a shoe fits, I find that making sure the pinky toes have room is important too. Always be willing to try a wider size, even if that means you have to go down half a size in length.

18. Feynman

Feynman Member

Has anyone convinced them to ship seconds to Canada? Frustrating that you can't check out with a Canadian address.

19. jazzsol

jazzsol Senior member

I am sure you can find someone to proxy for you from the US if you are sure of your size. Why do your want to convince a company to go against their stated policy?

20. Maxy

Maxy Senior member

Thanks.. only 2 shoes I could try in EEE for my size. They had none in E or EE.
    PA and Mora 2.0. Mora is perfect and PA little loose around but SA suggested even EE will have that gap near the top. I don't think I could go 1 more size as already am half size down for E size.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.