1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

Thats great again, thanks middlepP!

2. Maxy

Maxy Senior member

I blame you and your pics for my gobi purchase today! [​IMG]

3. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

No problem.

4. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

5. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Rancourt seems to be a great company I look forward to an MTO boot down the road. They do have some issues and they produce about 1% of the shoes AE does so without a doubt they have a better looking product at stores with less quality control issues.

6. iamelroberto

iamelroberto Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Polo. Jeans. Cordovan strands. Who's sweatin...

1 person likes this.
  7. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

8. avsmusic1

avsmusic1 Senior member

Same quilt and everything?

9. lvrpl

lvrpl Active Member

Like a fool, I somehow put a couple of scratches on my month-old walnut Strands. As you can (hopefully) see, the scratch is down into the leather. Any tips on how to polish/repair this so that the scratches aren't too visible? Thanks!

[​IMG]

10. mrfixit

mrfixit Senior member

that's nothing. a little polish should cover that right up. simply apply a very small amount, let dry, brush, buff. repeat as necessary. i just recently tried some glen karen products and i'm already a big fan. http://glenkarencare.com/gkcp/

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  11. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

@lvrpl When I get similar scratches on my shoes I can usually eradicate them by rubbing the area with an AE polishing cloth, which does a lot to diminish them by itself, and then follow up with either walnut or neutral polish and some vigorous brushing. In the end, even if the blemish is still there, nobody will ever get close enough to see it.

Another vote for Sebago here. While I still wear them a lot, my Eastports have seen better days.

[​IMG]

I started looking for a new boat shoe option a few months ago, and I was trying to decide between Quoddy and Rancourt when I found these Sebago "Horween Leather" shoes on Amazon for under $60 shipped:

http://www.amazon.com/Sebago-Mens-B...r_1_sc_2?&ie=UTF8&qid=1435082141&sr=8-2-spell

Sadly they are now $10 more, and are only available at this price in 11 D with the other sizes and colors making them far less of a value. They fit me perfectly (I am an 11.5 D in the 5 last) and while I do not know what the generic "Horween Leather" description means, they look and feel like a Chromexcel product despite not having the label.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd still like a pair of top-rated boat shoes, but given that these are going to see actual saltwater/boat use, I am no longer rushing to pay $275+ for something that I plan to destroy. While obviously not AEs, these Sebagos are at least as comfortable as my Fastball boat shoes and could be an option for people at a less expensive price point if they fit.

12. Al Dente

Al Dente Senior member

Unfortunately, no. I will find a suitable replacement blanket for my photo. I was going to take a Dalton group shot earlier, but my wife's friend was over and I didn't want to endure the ridicule. My wife told her that I already had this shoe in different colors. The friend said, "I can see that. It isn't another brown is it?" She looked at me, and my face let her know that yes, it was just another shade of brown.

13. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Walnut shell Dalton's today, they have aged well and I really like the color they have developed over the last couple of years.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Some of the best boots AE ever made!

15. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

As always, the walnut shell Dalton is a jaw-dropping boot.

I polished up the bourbon Strands for a trip into NYC. I forgot how much I love the color after wearing what seems like shell-only shoes for the majority of the past few months.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  16. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

From a distance, they look awesome. Up close, they are clearly seconds:

Sloppy lasting and sloppy burnishing on the left toe:

[​IMG]

Sub-optimal leather used on the side shaft (vein barely visible under the right lighting):

[​IMG]

Same tongue depression in this one as on my oxblood eagle rivers:

[​IMG]

And the same AE sloppy stitching on the uppers that we've come to know and love, even on 1sts.

BUT STILL

From a distance (99% of time they will be seen), they look awesome:

[​IMG]

AND!!!!

I paid $175. So no complaints here.

2 people like this.
  17. Shoes4play

Shoes4play Senior member

Good afternoon gents,

I picked up a pair of Burgundy Shell Cordovan Park Avenues for $229 before the SB caught the error. The pair I received looks pretty good, except for some fairly significant scratches near the eyelets. Left as is, they are clearly visible when looking at the shoe.

Can I remove/fix these scratches, or should I return the shoes? I hate to return them because of the great price.

Thanks.

18. AlphaDad

AlphaDad Active Member

[​IMG]

Walnut Tuesday - Burnished Walnut Warwick

2 people like this.
  19. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:Pictures would help. As long as they are not deep cuts. Then no, you'll likely never get to see shell at that price again. Most any issues with cordovan can be rubbed/brushed out.

1 person likes this.
  20. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

If you could buy one pair of Daltons, which would you choose:
    Walnut, bourbon, or chocolate?
    My current boots are are black (and brown) AE Cascade and a brown grain AE Malvern chukka.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.