1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

I would go with a 10D. If you have decent toe room in the 511 last could probably drop to 9.5D.

I have ample toe room in the 511 in 9D. I took a 8.5D in the Gobi and it is a better fit length wise. I would like to try a 511 now in 8.5D I think it would be just fine.

2. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Ok, I hear you. But here's some perspective for you, the kenwood uppers (just like all AE uppers except MTOs, shell, and Indies) are still cut and sewn in the DR factory. Is it worth the surcharge for you just to have the soles bonded in Port Washington.

Also, keep in mind that the Maritime is made with much higher quality leather than most boat shoes.

(PS, I really don't care one way or the other, just playing devils advocate)

3. mrfixit

mrfixit Senior member

i've seen that mentioned but never knew it to be fact. if it is, that would cause me to part further from AE purchases, yes. but also yes, it is worth it to me to know at least part of my investment goes toward american manufacturing.

i know the quality is higher than most, but i'm comparing to the likes of rancourt which is what i wear today.

4. peppercorn78

Paul Grangaard himself confirmed it in one of the two Reddit AMAs that he's done. But there still is a size able US manufacturing operation involved in their shoe production. Way larger than any other American apparel company, I think.

I would say Rancourt is definitely higher quality. But less readily available. And also not available in as many sizes and widths (not wide enough for my feet, for example).

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  5. peppercorn78

Deleted

6. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

Rancourt is definitely the way to go. A local store here in Cincinnati recently started carrying them and the construction looks really good. I havent purchased yet, but will be soon after handling them in person. Definite upgrade on AE from my perspective in terms of quality. I cant comment on fit and comfort yet, but will report back once I place my order.

7. CaptFinny

CaptFinny Active Member

@peppercorn78 did you get any pairs of Maritimes or Kirkwoods? I'm curious on the sizing. I've heard some folks say get the same as you would normally wear (in strands or PAs) and I've heard others (including a SA in Chicago) say go down a half size. Of course they have no 10 3Es or 10.5 3Es in my local store.

I have a pair of 10.5 3Es coming (quoted 6 weeks) but I'm considering trying to get a pair of Navy Blue in 10 3E...

8. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Half down from Brannock imo on the Maritime.

1 person likes this.
  9. peppercorn78

Nah, I don't really do boat shoes or beef roll loafers. I usually just wear sneakers with shorts.

Plus, I just spent (net) 175$ on these babies:

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  10. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

Anyone have Chili Rogues in the wild, in the sun specifically... Is the toe more rounded than the 65? I hope not.

11. CaptFinny

CaptFinny Active Member

Beautiful @peppercorn78 ! Any noticeable flaws? I will be getting at least a pair of Dalton's before the tent sale is over. Just have to figure out how to hide them from my better half.

Also maybe the Tan Leather Gobi's for $97... [​IMG]

12. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

I went with Brannock size, and it's very comfortable sockless.

1 person likes this.
  13. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Just for you Cal:

[​IMG]

14. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

Bit darker than I had imagined. Thank you middlepP!

15. CaptFinny

CaptFinny Active Member

This is hilariously exactly the trouble I was having! :)

Well I just saw my favorite SA in Chicago, and ordered a 10 3E Kirkwood in Navy. Should get it by the end of the week. I also have a pair of Golden Brown Kirkwood's coming (site said within 6 weeks) in 10.5 3E. So unless the Navy 10s fit perfectly, (then I'll adjust my original order) I will get a chance to try both sizes.

16. Al Dente

Al Dente Senior member

I just did the same, and they look identical!

17. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Here is a side by side in walnut:

[​IMG]

18. Al Dente

Al Dente Senior member

Also, Hautelook has some AE's on offer right now. Lots of loafers.

19. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

I think the brightness made them appear darker. Here's one under florescent lighting. Perhaps a little better representation.

[​IMG]

20. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.