• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodaman

Reaction score
guys i need some helping deciding between a nice pair of business casual shoes for my new job

i'm thinking either factory second strands from shoebank or new players from nordstrom sale.. both abuot $220

would love to have new strands but can't justify $300+ for shoes and don't want to wait for a sale!
Strands for sho

rodaman

Reaction score
Alright Gentlemen,

Late yesterday evening I posted a pic of my Brown Cordovan Dundee's that was taken several months ago. That reminded me that I should blow the dust off these beauties and let you guys see them now.

Inside:

imagejpg1_zps29accffd.jpg

Outside:

imagejpg2_zpsab8b5f5b.jpg
shoe tree?

YoungSweet

Reaction score
Forextrader. Both shoes are walnut and will be on a less formal side. The players are bluchers so they will suit the business casual side better. The strands are on the 5 last and players are on the 2 last (more narrow) so you will have to take the fit in consideration besides just the price.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I can wait for these to need a resoling, I really want to send them to B Nelson and have an medium antique welt, edge dressing and brown dainite done on them.

Pull the trigger. You'll make a good thing even better.

Josh Savage

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I know these are pretty basic AEs, but my "Bradleys" are one of my favorite pairs to wear all day.

lemmy127

Reaction score
So, I know seconds are seconds for a reason, but would you guys keep these brown shell Patriots?

Discoloration on the inside part of the left shoe's vamp.

Stitching so close to the upper that it's completely hidden by edge dressing for an inch.

I don't know enough about loafers to know/describe what is going on here with the two spots that look like small cuts.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I know seconds are seconds for a reason, but would you guys keep these brown shell Patriots?

Stitching so close to the upper that it's completely hidden by edge dressing for an inch.

I don't know enough about loafers to know/describe what is going on here with the two spots that look like small cuts.

Sorry Bro, I cant see what you are talking about.

lemmy127

Reaction score
The images are expandable. Just click on them, they get plenty big in gallery view.

Last edited:

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The images are expandable. Just click on them, they get plenty big in gallery view.

Okay. I "think" I see what you describe.

I would not sweat it. You could fill it in with some polish and you are the only one who would probably ever notice.

If you don't like it, then send them back. AE has incredible customer service.

Otherwise, Rock em till the soles fall off....
biggrin.gif

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lemmy: Yes, I would keep those in a heartbeat. The variances in the color of shell is one of its selling points for most. They will also greatly improve once you get all that AE polish off of them and brush them. I had something similar with my shell patriots when I received them as seconds and found that it looked much better once I got all the AE polish off of them. Here is a picture of when I received them (look at the toes):

Here is a picture from last Summer after working them over:

sleepyinsanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These look alright to me - but if you're spending those amounts it might be worth your long term happiness to pony up the extra 200 and get firsts. I personally like a few flaws in my shell shoes which will see a lot of wear (chukkas, pennies) - that way I dont get too attached to them and worry less about scratches and dings :)

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The brown grain Kiowas (Strands with split reverse welts and Vibram Lug Soles) from the Tent Sale arrived here today. Can't tell from the box or the shoes if they are seconds, although if I spent several days carefully studying them using high intensity lights, a micrometer, and a high power magnifying glass like some people do, I could probably find something wrong that no one would ever notice.

Josh Savage

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have heard several people speak of removing the Allen Edmonds polish? Is that something you are supposed to do? How do you go about it?

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The brown grain Kiowas (Strands with split reverse welts and Vibram Lug Soles) from the Tent Sale arrived here today. Can't tell from the box or the shoes if they are seconds, although if I spent several days carefully studying them using high intensity lights, a micrometer, and a high power magnifying glass like some people do, I could probably find something wrong that no one would ever notice.
Brown grain looks awesome. Alison kindly sent me some samples of their grain leathers for an MTO boot. But that picture pretty much sells me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads